Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Upgraded TV mount

Like so many of the, at least Roadtrek, folks, we have fought with the obstinate TV mount that seems to want to move around whenever it feels like it. It seems to always be drooped, in the aisle or whatever at the end of a drive, especially if it is rough.

The first arm clamps to the cabinet, so it is fine, the second arm can't be held tight enough to keep it from swinging out, at least with the tension screws. The tilt adjuster is totally unable to keep the TV vertical. We have been using about a million velcro straps to hold it.

Looking at the OnniMount that Roadtrek supplies (expensive mount) I found that the tilt tightening area comes up tight against internal stops, making it impossible to clamp the tilt mechanism tight enough to prevent droop. I assume it is to prevent the aluminum casting from breaking by overtightening.

I had looked at other mounts for a long time, and was almost ready to build my own, when I ran across one that had a manual clamp for the tilt. The rest of the mount was pretty standard construction. Here is a pic of the mount in the extended position. It is nearly identical to the original in dimensions, so it mounts similarly and extends the same way into the aisle for front viewing.

Detail of the tilt clamp. Simple handle.

This mount used a rod, with 6mm tapped holes on each end, for the second arm pivot. I replaced one of the 6mm clamp screws with a bicycle seatpost quick release bolt of the same thread, so now it can be clamped tighter and released to move it easily.

I moved the clamp handle that Roadtrek supplied to above the top leg of the first arm, as it didn't hit the new mount, and I wanted easy access.

Velcro was added by putting non adhesive straps under the mount so the would hold tight.

Now you just push the TV tight in until it hits the mount (padded) on the aisle side, and the wall above the window on the other side. Attach the velcro to the aisle side while holding the TV in place.

You then clamp the toggle clamp by reaching in, and then hold the main arm with the handle clamp, which you turn CCW to tighten because of the angle the arm is at. When you tighten the two clamps it pulls everything tighter against the velcro, so the TV gets very stable.

What it looks like ready to move into place.

With the handle clamped

Done and ready to travel

We have driven it around here for some miles and it seemed to hold well. We will see how it does on longer, rougher, rides.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Upgraded TV mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster
Looking at the OnniMount that Roadtrek supplies (expensive mount) I found that the tilt tightening area comes up tight against internal stops, making it impossible to clamp the tilt mechanism tight enough to prevent droop. I assume it is to prevent the aluminum casting from breaking by overtightening.
The one in my Great West Van seems to do the job though I seldom ever swing it or move it around. I think I have a cut sheet on installation tucked away that will tell me the brand and model. I think the engineers that designed most TV wall mounts never considered the effects of a moving vehicle. They probably for the most part all work great in a stable non-moving stick home.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #3
Platinum Member

That looks good and also easy to use.
There was a Sanus mount in my '04 RT. I don't know if it was factory installed or not. I remember carrying either an allen key or a small wrench (not sure which) to tighten the tilt and some non-slip material to help tighten and loosen the knob for the arms.

Very clever idea using that bike quick release.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:32 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

I use a piece of hard pvc hose connector as a spacer and some heavy duty elastic bands to hold it
in place. It keeps the TV from drooping, because it acts as a shim/spacer between the swing arm
and the mount plate that is screwed/bolted to the back of the TV. It's a Sanus, but like Booster says,
they seem to loosen and slip/sag after a rough ride. I've also wrapped a heavy elastic band over the
elbow of the 2 swing arms when folded to hold the bicep and forearms together while traveling.
Seems to do the trick. If I remember, I'll take a pic or two and add them.

For me, simple works.
With all due respect, of course.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2002RTSanusTVmountpics 004small.JPG (42.8 KB, 1222 views)
File Type: jpg 2002RTSanusTVmountpics 009small.JPG (54.0 KB, 1078 views)
File Type: jpg 2002RTSanusTVmountpics 011small.JPG (45.3 KB, 1073 views)
File Type: jpg 2002RTSanusTVmountpics 015small.JPG (45.3 KB, 1074 views)
File Type: jpg 2002RTSanusTVmountpics 006small.JPG (45.4 KB, 1219 views)
File Type: jpg 2002RTSanusTVmountpics 024small.JPG (51.1 KB, 1071 views)
Old 07-25-2018, 02:28 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Manufacture's information on the mount Booster?

I need to replace mine when I replace the tv.
Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:26 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Interesting timing on this revival of the posts from 2012, as I am currently in the process of building a new TV mount and removing the one in the topic. With our most recent TV change, we found that the old mount didn't hold it as well because the TV was wider and at a larger angle across the back of the cabinet. We have also found over the years that if we have a TV with decent viewing angles we never have to move it from the traveling position.

The one I am putting together now will be a solid mount with a bit of extra support at one end for the getting flimsier ever year newer TV.

I got the mount on Amazon, but when I look it up on my history it brings up a different version. The biggest thing on getting it originally was the handle screw clamp on the tilt adjuster, as those always seem to slip, and it worked well. The newer version doesn't have that. The bicycle seat post clamp I added myself and it worked well.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:44 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Ok, thanks.
Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote