Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2013, 10:29 PM   #41
Platinum Member

Default Re: Winnebago Travato

What could be Chevy/GM's option to compete with the variable height and length uni-body vans? Do they have a European counterpart they could adapt?
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:15 PM   #42
Platinum Member

This article from last October http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000087 ... %3Darticle indicates that GM has no plans.

Quote:
The holdout right now is GM, which doesn't have plans for a European-style cargo van soon to replay its Savana or Express vans. "We definitely see a place for this full-size van in the market for a long time," said Joyce Mattman, director of GM Fleet and Commercial Operations.
They should be able to compete on price and could be around for a long time as they say. I just don't see Class B builders choosing the low roof Express Van.
Roadtrek might continue with their wide-body 210 model. It seems like there so much extra labor and cost involved at a time when downward pressure on prices is foreseeable.

The new European high roof vans have vertical sides - basically box like interiors - making the Class B up-fit so much easier and quicker.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:55 AM   #43
Platinum Member

I've heard rumors of GM making a high-top Express van, but what GM is catering to are fleets and upfitters who want a guarantee. For fleets, this will maintain sales, but for new business and when upfitters decide to move to a new chassis, it will hurt them in the long run.

I can see RT moving to Ford Transit vans for the low end, while keeping Sprinters for the flagship models. Mainly because Sprinters still have more CCC than anyone else in the industry, and tend to be a step ahead in general.

I'm curious about the Travato's fresh/grey/black water tanks, and if they are using a 4 or 6 gallon water heater.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:28 PM   #44
Platinum Member

Yes, I think you're right - the Sprinter will continue to be the platform choice for the high end units. Probably for all builders.

New RV's like the Travato will affect some used Sprinter sales because some people will opt for a new RV that costs less than a used RV. That effect might not be great because Sprinter buyers tend to be people that want a Sprinter. Financing a brand new RV might be easier or cheaper for example.

The Travato is wider than the Transit and the Sprinter as demonstrated by Winnebago's new design. Basically they put a small Class C floorplan inside a van. It is certainly going to get the attention of the other builders. Suddenly they have this extra couple of inches to work with and inches in a Class B can make a big difference.

Here are a few stills from the videos - sorry they're out of focus and tiny - it is the best I could do with the files:

Rear window glass could easily be an option.

Lots of storage space under the bed.

Storage in kitchen area

Bed lifted up - handy feature

Sink and stove-top

Wet bath - I couldn't capture a good still from the video - it has a shower.

Bigger fridge and more storage

Attached Images
File Type: jpg looks like rear window glass.jpg (16.3 KB, 1342 views)
File Type: jpg lots of storage space under bed.jpg (17.6 KB, 1342 views)
File Type: jpg more storage above sink and stovetop.jpg (14.6 KB, 1342 views)
File Type: jpg rear bed lifted up and secured against the wall.jpg (17.2 KB, 1342 views)
File Type: jpg sink and stovetop.jpg (14.3 KB, 1342 views)
File Type: jpg wet bath.jpg (6.0 KB, 1342 views)
File Type: jpg 2014 Travato fridge microwave storage.jpg (16.2 KB, 1342 views)
Old 05-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #45
Platinum Member

So far I really like it.Very versatile.I wish they would turn those front seats around.I was wondering why there is a step up to the dinette.Nice big bath for a B class.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #46
Platinum Member

For us "non big bathroom" folks, it would be really slick if it had the toilet facing the aisle right at the bath entrance, and the rest of the bathroom as storage accessible from the rear door. That would be a huge storage area.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #47
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909
So far I really like it.Very versatile.I wish they would turn those front seats around.I was wondering why there is a step up to the dinette.Nice big bath for a B class.
You have a good eye for detail Stan. I missed that. The explains the ottoman at the side entrance. Looks like there is a step down from the cab to the coach portion. Which in turn explains the ProMaster's best-in-class interior ceiling height and step-in height.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #48
Platinum Member

Big bath? It's very narrow and you have to squeeze in at the corner. I am not sure how one sits on the toilet with the wheel well in the way.

Looking at the front I am not so sure they intend to turn the front seats around. It seems clear (unless that cab is really tight) that they had to shove the cab seats all the way forward in order to set up the table. Also, if it is a step up then the seats may be too high to sit at the table. They're pretty vague about a lot of aspects.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:19 PM   #49
Platinum Member

mlts22 found another Winnebago Travato video link to mlts22 rv.net post

Travato Video #3 - Winnebago ERA is in the first half of the video and the Travato is in the second half.
Video - click on the play button arrow:
[youtube:1khv3bh9]8aDAUDqxwcY[/youtube:1khv3bh9]

It is higher quality. Here are some image captures from it:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg cab.jpg (65.2 KB, 3973 views)
File Type: jpg side entrance.jpg (50.9 KB, 3973 views)
File Type: jpg travato bathroom.jpg (47.9 KB, 3973 views)
File Type: jpg Travato bed in the up position.jpg (50.6 KB, 3973 views)
File Type: jpg Travato view from rear.jpg (63.8 KB, 3973 views)
Old 05-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #50
Platinum Member

In that video, it looks like the rear door has glass in it, at least from the inside. Hard to tell about from outside.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:37 AM   #51
Platinum Member

Davydd. I didn't notice the wheel well. Not good for you tall folks,but I am Mister 5X5 so I guess I was focusing on width. I look forward to seeing this rig 13 years from now when it will be in my budget and I will have found out all the good and the bad about it. I am as of right now enamored with the mid 2000's Sprinters with the great mpg and the little emissions restrictions,but tastes change.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #52
Platinum Member

I cropped and brightened the Winnebago Travato dinette photo:

It shows the step down into the coach area from the cab. To me, it also shows that the drivers seat height looks to be level with the dinette seat height so when the drivers seat is swiveled around to face the table top everyone is sitting at the same level.

That ottoman probably offers a good amount of storage inside and serves as a handy station to pass items in and out of the van particularly when prepping for or packing up after outdoor meals.

-------------------------------------------
Winnebago Travato quick links:
Preliminary Specifications
Main Photos, Photos 2, Photos 3, Photos 4
Videos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Winnebago Travato dinette bed.jpg (30.4 KB, 3800 views)
Old 05-05-2013, 04:17 PM   #53
Platinum Member

After looking at the specs, unless the Travato is just a cheap bargain no on can pass up, I think the Ford Transit is going to offer better design solutions for Winnebago. But then neither Ram or Ford has anything to counter the Mercedes Benz Sprinter ERA size and configurations. The Ford Transit comes a lot closer to matching the standard body Sprinter.

Ford Transit Info

BTW, that Travato step down looks artificially pushed back as the base van looks as if the step is right behind the cab seats and I doubt the step would bisect the sliding door opening. The fact that there is a step at all is a debit design problem compared to the Transit and Sprinter that have continuous floors.

This Trakka Torino Xtra link is a PDF brochure of an Australian B based on the Fiat Ducato that has similar design features as the Travato (up front) but is vastly superior in design execution. The brochure shows the floor plan.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #54
Platinum Member

More Winnebago Travato information

Remember, this is all pre-production and subject to change.

Quote:
Say Hello to Value
Introducing the Travato,™ the newest Class B motorhome to join the Winnebago Touring Coach™ lineup. At 20' long,
the Travato is unbelievably agile, while still offering a full-feature RV experience that is perfect for the adventurous
explorer. The 59G, featuring the Ram ProMaster chassis, will please value-conscious enthusiasts with its amazing
fuel efficiency. With Ultraleather™ swivel cab seats, LED ceiling lights, an available Infotainment Center with Rand
McNally RV GPS, a split dinette, and an abundance of features, the Travato delivers a whole lot of fun for less.
Welcome to a new level of Class B value, style, and living.
Here are the Travato Specifications. By the tank capacities it is more geared toward touring or camping with hookups.

Here is the Winnebago Travato floorplan layout. Larger people will each have their own bed. We currently have a 51" bed so the two of us would fit in a 46" bed. The 42" second bed would be cosy for two adults but would be great for kids or a single adult.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Winnebago Travato Specifications.jpg (110.1 KB, 3714 views)
File Type: jpg Winnebago Travato 59G Floorplan.jpg (54.1 KB, 3714 views)
Old 05-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #55
Platinum Member

Not as "agile" as the Roadtrek Agile, IMO.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:35 PM   #56
Platinum Member

Love the bathroom and love the exterior height. Those bench seats with the completely upright backs give me a backache though just looking at them. The only decent seats in the van are the front seats.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #57
Platinum Member

Thanks for the floor plan Marco. 46" wide bed is awfully narrow, I think a full size is 54" wide, and we find that a bit tight when we are on one (use queen at home). Plus it is narrower at the foot.

Now that we see the floorplan, it is obvious it wouldn't work for us, but has some good ideas. It will be interesting to see what the future renditions look like. It is so nice to see folks trying some different ideas.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:26 PM   #58
Rok
Platinum Member

From the floor plan, the Bath LOOKS large, but I can't really tell. Two beds might be nice, but we would have to sleep separately, neither is big enough for both of us. I keep comparaing it to our GW Legend SE, and it just doesn't measure up. BUT IT SHOULDN'T! It is going to be a lot less expensive--so buyers will be willing to accept less.

...........Rocky
Rok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:03 PM   #59
Platinum Member

That bathroom is deceiving. The plan doesn't show the wheel well protrusion. In looking at the photos it appears one would have to sit on the toilet cockeyed.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #60
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster
........ Thanks for the floor plan Marco. 46" wide bed is awfully narrow ...............

Now that we see the floorplan, it is obvious it wouldn't work for us, but has some good ideas. It will be interesting to see what the future renditions look like. It is so nice to see folks trying some different ideas.
I'm thrilled to see a new floor-plan. We could be in for a really interesting few years re: layout and design of Class B's. I've seen bed and bathroom in a side by side layout like this in much older and narrower vans. Sometimes only a curtain separating the two. This is a leap forward for that layout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rok
................ I keep comparing it to our GW Legend SE, and it just doesn't measure up. BUT IT SHOULDN'T! It is going to be a lot less expensive--so buyers will be willing to accept less...........
Great point. This unit is not competition for the top-of-the-line Sprinter based Class B's.
Compare it to the basic Roadtrek Ranger RT for price for example and suddenly it looks very interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
That bathroom is deceiving. The plan doesn't show the wheel well protrusion. In looking at the photos it appears one would have to sit on the toilet cockeyed.
When I removed the toilet in my van for renovations I found that I could position it at whatever angle I wanted. Maybe it is the same with this one. Rotating it slightly away from the wheel well might make a big difference.

Interest in this new Winnebago is incredible. This topic, at about one week old, has had nearly as many views as the four plus month old CS Adventurous topic. I think the new CS Adventurous is another great new unit by the way.

-------------------------------------------
Winnebago Travato quick links:
Preliminary Specifications
Main Photos, Photos 2, Photos 3, Photos 4
Videos
Travato Floor Plan