Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Sewer Solutions

Hello Fellow Roadtrekkers,

I just ran across this idea for emptying the tanks of my 2004 Roadtrek on a Chevy chassis. Has anyone out there used this for this job? I have to "milk" my hose to empty it enough to put it all back together before putting the cotter pin back.

I need a better way to empty.

Thanks. Jean (74 yr. old widow)
ClassBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:06 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Sewer Solutions

There is a photo of a Sewer Solution attached to a Roadtrek at this link: https://sites.google.com/site/roadtr...sewer-solution You can see it is mere inches off the ground.

It depends on what problems you are trying to solve.
If getting down near the ground to attach fittings etc. is the primary problem then I don't think any portable options will help much. A permanent macerator installation would help.
If pumping waste uphill or over a curb is the primary problem then a portable macerator, a sewer solution or a permanent macerator will all solve that problem.

All of the portable options need to be stored somewhere so sometimes that creates a new problem - finding space for it in a Class B.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
Platinum Member

The dump valves and connection on my van is in a similar location to your Roadtrek. The difference is that instead of having one combined sewer hose and storage pipe my van has two pipes. One is 3" and it is the where you attach the waste hose. The second pipe is 4" and it is where the waste hose is stored. I store two waste hoses connected together in the storage pipe. One of the hoses is long and the other is short. The long hose goes in the storage pipe first then I attach the short hose to it and push it in. Most of the time I only use the really short hose for dumping. It is 4' or 5' long. In fact, I can't remember the last time I used the long hose or combined the long and short hoses to make an even longer hose.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
Platinum Member

A Sewer Solution requires access to water, and lots of it, and that could be an issue. A macerator pump will solve the problem of pumping uphill, but there is the caveat that it will burn up quickly if run dry. Of course, one can use a short length of sewer hose and a portable macerator pump, but then as stated above, it is finding a place to put that.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Hello, Marco and Mits22 - I don't believe I'll have a storage problem with the Sewer Solution as I have plenty of room in the lower access bin. I will just have to dump the tanks when I have no one waiting - say later in the afternoon. I think it's worth a try at this point. Thanks for your input.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I like the Sewer Solution because of its simplicity. Water goes in, pushes the yecchy stuff out the exit hose, even uphill. However, because I boondock a lot, I usually do not have ready access to a water host with a good amount of pressure.

Were it up to me, I'd probably pay the money (can be up to $800) to have a permanent macerator pump like a Flojet or Sani-con installed, and installed right (wiring harness so I can disconnect the pump in the compartment if it burns out and replace it as well as a small clear piece of plastic so I can tell by sight when to shut it off rather than noise.)
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #7

The Sewer Solution is a great idea but not always workable. Last year I was next to a travel trailer at the dump station. He couldn't figure out how to dump because he needed a source of fresh water in order to empty his tanks. I think he had a some sort of permanently installed Sewer Solution. He left with his tanks full. While most dump stations have a source of non-potable water for rinsing, many do not have a hose connection on the hose which would limit the usefulness of the Sewer Solution.
TinyoneRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Thanks for the update, TinyoneRV - since I will be traveling alone, I will check first to be sure there is a hose at the dump station. That should not be a problem for me. I appreciate your time. Jean