Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2008, 01:45 PM   #1

Default Falcon 190

I am being transfered with the Federal Government to Phoenix from here in Florida. I will be leaving soon but my wife will follow about 6 months later due to farm and horses. My dad who lives in Pahrump, Nv and Alaska where is now, told me I could use his Ford E250 Falcon 190 If I wanted it untill my wife gets out there. I thought it was great idea, I hate the idea of an apartment. I didn't get to talk to my dad much while he is in the wilds of AK so I found this forum and was hoping you could tell me some about this RV. I know mules...but not this camper stuff. Can you tell me some stuff like does the A/C run on 110, range on gas, ect. I have seen it and it is in great shape, but I don't remember seeing a propane tank on it. It is a 1990 vintage and it has a generator but I will park it in a KOA just North of Phoenix. I don't plan to be in the city anymore than required. Thanks for your help!
Old 08-09-2008, 08:00 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum bscbarns!

I know of at least three other members of this forum who own Falcon Class B vans. Hopefully one of them will catch this post.

Generally speaking you are correct in assuming the air conditioner runs on 110 volts AC and the range runs on propane.

Look for the propane tank to be mounted under the van.

At the KOA you'll probably get a full hookup site. That will include:

1. water (connect a hose from the campsite spigot to the water connection on your van)

2. electricity (usually a black heavy gauge 30 amp cord - connect the power cord from the van to the campsite power post)

3. sewer (usually a 3" approx diameter flexible hose - connect the sewer hose from the van to the campsite sewer connection). There will be a dump valve (or valves) usually one for the black tank (toilet waste) and one from the gray tank (sink and shower waste).

Your fridge could run on 110V, propane or battery. Propane often cools best but I'd use 110V at the KOA if your fridge has that option.

You'll get the hang of it pretty quick.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:23 AM   #3
Silver Member

Howdy, I "live" in Phoenix during the week for job purposes. Right now, I have the use of an apartment but I'll be using my Intravec Horizon (Predecessor to the Falcon) in the Fall.

I plan to utilize "Stealth Vandwelling". but you'll like the KOA for temporary parking.

I'd suggest getting a Good Sam Club membership as it includes a discount at KOA's. Also, a memborship in Camping World's thing includes a FREE night at KOA, too.

Check out the RV Bookstore at www.rvtravel.com and you'll find books that explain all your questions about first-time camping and use of the RV. (Class B, which you have, Class C or A are all similar in appliances and hookup.)

Any help I can provide about the area, feel free to ask. I'm a Phoenix native.
Chip
Old 08-11-2008, 01:54 AM   #4
Silver Member

To add, are you staying at the KOA in Black Canyon City or the KOA out West, the other side of Sun City?

Both are some ways from central Phoenix. Black Canyon City is a nice desert community, pretty much crime-free. THe only thing is it's connected to Phoenix by one route, I-17, which is a drag to drive between Anthem and the Valley.

Too many people, only one road.. And road construction for the next couple years as the DOT is widening it.

Chip
Old 08-11-2008, 02:55 AM   #5

I have already looked into the Black Canyon Koa. The Falcon will probably be a short term (6mo) gig, but when my wife gets our farm and horses dealt with here in Florida she will join me in Arizonan and I will get (her) a nicer, bigger RV trailer. We plan to RV for a while though because the Fed job will require us to relocate every 2 years or so. Our 3 boys are grown now, thats why we are making the move now. We have friends in Phoenix now and I have spent a little time there. Know 17 but can not bring ourselves to deal with the city life. Rather get Good MPG vehicle and commute. Thanks for the info and I will get the book for sure. One more thing- My Dad told me that when I get through with the Falcon 190 to sell it in Phoenix.