Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2009, 01:20 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Rubber window seals

I am in need of the rubber gasketing or seals that seal the windows in the forward facing area of the sleeping space over the cab of my 1988 Cobra Discoverer class B camper van. The dimensions of the seals are: 1 1/16" overall width; 5/16" web between the 1/8" slots for the fibreglass shell and the plastic window; 5/8" overall thickness above the press-in sealing strip. Any help in locating this material would be greatly appreciated. I have tried for the last 2 months on the web with no success.
leslane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:42 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: Rubber window seals

I haven't had much better luck, but maybe if you googled your van make/model and
found some "for sale" ads, for example, you could try calling the sellers and asking them if they've
ever needed similar parts/service. I also found some sites by googling "discoverer cobra van conversion".
Here's some I sites which might be able to help.

http://www.rvhunter.com/page-13887.html
http://www.dcmco.com/vsalescompany.htm
http://www.elkapitan.com/discovery_hi_t ... ersion.htm
http://www.v-sales.com/vsconvcomp.htm
http://www.newenglandmotorcar.com/aboutus.htm

Maybe someone at one of these places can point you in the right direction?
Have you tried a glass repair/replacement company, like Apple or Speedy (think they're called something else now)?
Old 10-27-2009, 03:02 AM   #3
Bronze Member

Hi Mike!
Thanks much for the information. Yes, I have Googled this thing to death. I will try the vendors that you suggested as I have never heard of any of them. I live in Northern California and there are a lot of class B vans in this area, I didn't think it was going to be a big problem finding these seals but I have been a little over 2 months in the hunt right now and have canvassed the entire United States with no success on this seal. I was able to find all the rubber for the side windows but the two front ones are giving me fits. I talked to a guy who had a similar one on Ebay and he ended up fibreglassing the window opening closed as he could not find the seals either. I may have to do that but sure don't want to. I have talked to most every automotive glass company in my area and even the old car restoration places and boat restorers, no luck. I sure ended up with a lot of catalogs though! So, I will pursue these sites you forwarded to me and hope for the best.
Thanks again for the input.
Les Lane
Old 10-27-2009, 11:32 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Maybe I am on to something here. Here is a web address in England that supplies something that might work for me:
http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/
I will keep you posted as to what they have but it appears that their WR63 seal is very close to what I need.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:59 PM   #5
Platinum Member

It's hard to believe the auto-glass places can't be more help.
I would have though they'd have something that would work for you.
It might be another thought to go to a seal fabricator (assuming you could find one close to you)
and talk to them about making some up that would fit your B. Surely England can't be your only
option?

Good luck.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:50 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Well, it turns out that its not all that bad after all. I just got an email this morning from Seals Direct over in the UK and they sent me their online catalog and they have the EXACT replacement seal and locking strip that I am looking for. If anyone is in need of this material or a like material, get in touch with a fellow by the name of Phil Howard at http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/ and ask him for his online catalog link. Their part number for the window seal for my Cobra Discoverer is WR937. The dimensions posted on their catalog are an exact replacement for the 2 front upper window seals. I won't waste any more time searching, I have already placed an order for what I need.
Les
Old 10-28-2009, 06:43 PM   #7
Platinum Member

That's great news.
See, finding spare parts for our vans is easy after all!
Old 10-28-2009, 10:27 PM   #8
Bronze Member

If anyone is comtemplating ordering anything from England right away, bear in mind that their postal service is on strike and the ONLY way to get something shipped here is FedEx or that type of carrier. The seal sells for about $3.16/ft. but freight for 7 metres (~21 ft)of weatherstripping is about $90. If it were to come parcel post it would be $22. Just a heads up. However, this company has the exact replacement seals for these older class B RV's and if you are willing to wait until their strike is over it can be bought a lot cheaper.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:28 PM   #9
Bronze Member

UPDATE!! The WR937 rubber seal & locking strip from Seals Direct in England was delivered as promised this morning. It is an EXACT replacement. This is great news for restorers or just maintaining some of the older Class B's. First thing I did was cut in inch off of the new seal and placed it end to end to a piece of the original seal and it is identical. I have already finished one of the windows but need to modify my tool that I use to install the locking strip as it doesn't do a good job on the corners. So, another job out of the way and the rig is closer to being turned over to my daughter for her Yosemite trips.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:32 PM   #10

Default 1992 Dodge B350 Roadtrek

I have a leak with the 3 little windows----and have also tried every auto glass repair shop on the east coast ---no luck I just read this and have contacted that company. Now I just need someone to tell me what to purchase. Maybe the company will know exactly. Thought maybe if I bought the supplies it would be better to bring to anyone to fix.

thanks
NadineC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 12:39 AM   #11
BBQ
Platinum Member