Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2010, 10:30 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Dang - I let the smoke out

I know that you are never supposed to let the smoke out of your electronics. I think it is the golden rule or something....

My Magnum inverter/charger in the RV let a fair bit of smoke get out this morning. That's not good. No power in the RV now. Something got fried. The breaker won't reset.

Rough start to this day. The Raccoons got into my garbage and spread it all over and then the inverter/charger got cooked - all before 6:30 a.m. It can only get better.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Dang - I let the smoke out

Yep, letting the magic smoke out of electronics is always a bad thing.

If you get a chance after picking up from those raccoons, maybe you could describe what caused the event. Were you plugged in to shore power at the time? Your breaker won't reset -- as in, it immediately trips back off? -- does resetting it make no difference? Is that a breaker on the inverter itself or in the house power panel?

Good luck,

Dan F.
arrveedogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:52 PM   #3
Platinum Member

It's plugged in to a proper 30amp RV receptacle at the house we're renovating. The breaker at the house panel works properly. I confirmed 120v at the receptacle.

The push button 30amp breaker on the Magnum inverter/charger is pushed in (in on position) but there is no output of 120v. I can't reset it unless it pops out. It had popped when the smoke came out. DW pushed it back in. The inverter part of the Magnum still works. There is a strong burnt smell at the Magnum inverter/charger.

The current we we using consisted of the Fridge on AC and we were boiling water in an electric kettle so I was well under 30 amps.

I'm unloading a U-haul truck with our stuff today so I can't take it apart .......... yet
Old 06-10-2010, 02:16 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Clearly the racoons weren't impressed with the garbage selection, and took it out on your
on board electronics somehow.

I hate when things break..........
Old 06-10-2010, 11:46 PM   #5
Platinum Member

We've been basically living in the RV for three months and we're not quite ready to move into the house so we need the RV. I bypassed the Magnum inverter/charger today so we have 120v again. I'm the 2nd owner of the RV. The Magnum inverter/charger was an add-on by the original owner. The RV came with a Progressive Dynamics converter which was disconnected but left in place when the Magnum inverter/charger was installed. The Magnum had 120v in and out wires. I joined those and bypassed the Magnum. The 120v from shore power now goes to the electrical panel with breakers in the RV. Actually, I think it goes to the transfer relay (for the genset) first and then to the panel.

I have 120v again and I connected the Progressive Dynamics converter and it is charging my batteries and providing 12v power.

DW asked if it is safe to sleep in the RV I think it is safer now.

As far as I can tell I have just returned the RV to the way it was originally manufactured.

It is annoying when this stuff breaks not to mention the $$$. I'm lucky that I could do without it.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:04 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Oh yeah - the Raccoons don't seem to eat anything. They just like to poke through it and have their fun. My neighbor tied a rope on his garbage box and he says they untied the rope! The rascals probably did mess with my inverter....
Old 06-11-2010, 02:10 AM   #7
Platinum Member

If there's a smoke detector near the panel, you're probably as safe as possible, even if
the problem hadn't occurred.
At least the smoke detectors run on batteries (yes?).
I wish I had your talent/knowledge/experience with this stuff.
I'd be sleeping in the dark/cold tonight, and looking for a RT dealer/electrician tomorrow if
it happened to me.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:45 AM   #8
Platinum Member

All good this morning - I have my coffee and DW has her Jasmine green tea.

I was lucky that the original setup had been left in place - I just had to connect a few wires. The PD converter had a three prong plug and it plugged into the back of the electrical panel.

The converter might have been replaced because it had a problem - I'll monitor it today. Batteries were fully charged this morning.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:16 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I wonder if the manufacturers ever really thought these things would be in use for more
than a week or two at a time when they designed them? I always wonder about the durability
of some of the stuff we buy, like computers and TV sets seem to be on almost all the time
(at least around here ) and most seem to last for years before showing signs of wear
prior to failure. Some other stuff seems like it's only designed for "occasional use".
Glad things have stabilized.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:28 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Well, I guess the previous owner replaced the PD9160 converter in my RV with the Magnum because the PD9160 was failing. At best it worked intermittently for me. It now has an odd buzzing sound like static if there is any output but mostly there is no output so I have disconnected it.

I ordered a PD9260 from Best Converter today to replace the PD9160. Their prices are competitive and Randy from Best Converter is quite knowledgeable. I got a notice that they shipped it today also.

When I have time I will try to fix the Magnum as it probably costs a $1,000 to replace. I can't really afford to replace the inverter now and really haven't used it much so I can easily live without it.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:27 PM   #11
Platinum Member

I emailed them and got some great info, on their last long weekend (Memorial Day), no less.
I think he (Randy) works from a Verizon Blackberry and is on call 7 X 24.
Could the current (no pun intended) inverter(s) situation be a factor in the
recent desire by your DW for another B?
Old 06-19-2010, 03:03 PM   #12
Platinum Member

I don't think so.

It's more to do with the ability to take a B just about anywhere and fuel costs - the C only gets 8mpg. We'd take more trips in a B for sure.

Re: Best Converter - Randy sure is accessible. They gave me his phone number on the road and he answered right away.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:12 PM   #13
Platinum Member

He's pretty good (Randy). I decided to see if I could get a manual for the converter/charger
in my '02 190P. I thought I might need one, as the van is older now, and it does get a lot of
use in our van. Just for initial troubleshooting, if there was ever a problem.
I gave him the part number and manufacturer from my RT owner's manual parts list.
He questioned the manufacturer, based on his experience, so I went out and and a look.
He was right, the manual said it was an Elixir CS4500, but the casing/front panel said
Centurion3000 like he said it might be. Had all the parts in stock, too.
I suspect you're in good hands.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:07 AM   #14
Platinum Member

I received the PD9260 from Best Converter. It took about 10 days to get to Canada via regular mail, not bad.

It is the same size as the PD9160 that needed to be replaced. Even the mounting holes lined up exactly so it was the easiest fix I ever had to do.

The PD9260 is a good upgrade. It is a 3 stage charger. My batteries should be happy now.