New Roadtrek RS E-Trek

Talk about anything related to Class B RV Motorhome Camping Van Conversions here. Got a question? Know the answer? Post it all here.

Re: New Roadtrek RS E-Trek

Postby markopolo » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:32 pm

Maybe the discussion on idling is mostly academic and doesn't apply to real world use of most campervans. Do most Class B'ers get sites with electricity when camping anyway? I try to when it is hot and I need A/C.

And, if you mostly tour around with just overnight stops dry camping then I think you'd have enough power for one night and then hit the road again. No idling needed. Quiet coffee in the morning Mike :D :D :D Instant hot water too!

You'd probably be more likely to be frowned upon for idling (at 0.4 to 0.5 GPH fuel usage) than running the Onan (at 0.6 GPH fuel usage) even if the Sprinter engine is quieter.

You really need to know how you will use the RV before buying.

Also, I don't think a rest period after idling is needed - the opposite would probably be better - drive it and get it up to operating temperature, blow out, burn off, the bad stuff. Correct me if I'm wrong about this.
markopolo
Site Admin

My RV: '97 GMC Savana 6.5L Turbo Diesel Custom Camper Van

Postby Davydd » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:59 pm

I wonder how much practical research goes into developing Class B's. I dry camp about half the time as my preferences are national forests, national parks and state parks. It seems lately most state parks I go to have electrical hookups. Given that in over 36,000 miles of travel and camping somewhere in excess of 200 night now my generator as but 8.8 hrs of use on it. I just recently went 4 straight nights in Glacier National Park with no hookups and no driving anywhere and had little drain on our batteries and only ran the generator in the morning for less than a half hour to brew coffee. Propane was important mainly for the refrigerator. In our two month trip to Alaska we got by on one tank full of propane which has a 9 gallon tank. My habits and experience tells me that the E-Trek may be a bit over engineered.
Davydd
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Mercedes Benz Sprinter
Previous Class Bs:
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My RV: 2015 Advanced RV

Postby booster » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:51 pm

We, also, have few hours on our generator. We have tried to stay in places with electricity when it is going to be hot or cold, but that has been pretty easy because we aren't retired and roaming yet. Reservations make life easy in that respect. Once we start to go for longer periods of time, with no set destination or time frame, I expect a lot to change, and generator, off grid camping, will surely be one of the changes. Until proven, I agree with Mike that I would not risk a very very expensive Sprinter engine or DPF to do something a propane Onan could do. It might be fine, but that is far from determined IMO.

Re the add on high output alternators that were mentioned earlier. I am tempted just to buy a couple of the 250 amp GM alternators, and a Honda 10hp, and make my own generator. I might even be able to fit it under a Roadtrek?
booster
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby markopolo » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:27 pm

It just occurred to me that the pricing of the RS E-Trek might not be as high as people expect with all the "new" tech stuff on-board.

The 6 extra AGM batteries, high end Outback inverter and 250 watts of solar might cost $3,000. In any case, less than what the Onan gen would cost. The new appliances might equal out in cost compared to the old ones. That allows the subtraction of the propane tank, piping and labor for propane installation. The unit can be built faster as there are less body cut-outs and therefore less labor. Pricing could actually be less than the RS Adventurous. :angel:
markopolo
Site Admin

Postby booster » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:14 pm

markopolo wrote:It just occurred to me that the pricing of the RS E-Trek might not be as high as people expect with all the "new" tech stuff on-board.

The 6 extra AGM batteries, high end Outback inverter and 250 watts of solar might cost $3,000. In any case, less than what the Onan gen would cost. The new appliances might equal out in cost compared to the old ones. That allows the subtraction of the propane tank, piping and labor for propane installation. The unit can be built faster as there are less body cut-outs and therefore less labor. Pricing could actually be less than the RS Adventurous. :angel:

The price estimates we have seen sure seem to be all over the map. $100-135K I think. As Marco says, some things will be cheaper, others probably more. With the high amp 12volt power used, wiring, fusing, switches, etc will have to be much larger, fuel cell would be spendy if wanted, solar with markup probably close to $2K. The upgrade alternator setup might be as much as $2K, depending on what they use.

I think Roadtrek is doing the customers a disservice by not announcing pricing. Give the folks the information and stop playing silly marketing games. With all the hype they have ladled out, it would be hard not to be disappointed, as nothing could live up to the promotional stuff dished out.
booster
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby markopolo » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:33 pm

I forgot about the Efoy......... and the extra alternator :cry:
It is supposed to be at the California RV Show in Pomona, October 12-21, 2012
markopolo
Site Admin

Postby booster » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:52 pm

[quote="markopolo"It is supposed to be at the California RV Show in Pomona, October 12-21, 2012[/quote]

So we get TWO MORE MONTHS of endless teasing? arrrrrgh
booster
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby markopolo » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:14 pm

only two days, the 12-21 is the 9 days of the show
Attachments
California-RV-Show.jpg
California-RV-Show.jpg (78.42 KiB) Viewed 686 times
markopolo
Site Admin

Postby booster » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:53 pm

markopolo wrote:only two days, the 12-21 is the 9 days of the show

OOOOOps-read first-type later-must remember that!
booster
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Mike » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:12 am

Davydd wrote:I wonder how much practical research goes into developing Class B's. I dry camp about half the time as my preferences are national forests, national parks and state parks. It seems lately most state parks I go to have electrical hookups. Given that in over 36,000 miles of travel and camping somewhere in excess of 200 night now my generator as but 8.8 hrs of use on it. I just recently went 4 straight nights in Glacier National Park with no hookups and no driving anywhere and had little drain on our batteries and only ran the generator in the morning for less than a half hour to brew coffee. Propane was important mainly for the refrigerator. In our two month trip to Alaska we got by on one tank full of propane which has a 9 gallon tank. My habits and experience tells me that the E-Trek may be a bit over engineered.

Sounds familiar in terms of propane usage and generator use. We mostly tour and couldn't ever hope to recharge our AGMs with the generator, but that said, touring (our GM alternator) seems to recharge them just fine, and we've never run low, except the time I left the fridge on DC after we'd stopped for the night. Probably drained the batts well below 50% but they seem to have survived. That was over 3 long trips ago. Your last sentence sums up my feeling on this, too.
It's not a sprint(er) (unless you make it one), it's (hopefully) a marathon.
RV - 2002 Roadtrek 190 Popular (Chevy)
TV - 2009 F150 XLT SuperCrew / Toad - 2003 Chevy Cavalier
Mike
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My RV: 2002 Roadtrek C190P

Postby Mike » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:18 am

booster wrote:Re the add on high output alternators that were mentioned earlier. I am tempted just to buy a couple of the 250 amp GM alternators, and a Honda 10hp, and make my own generator. I might even be able to fit it under a Roadtrek?

Incorporate yourself, patent the product design, and market it as the "booster juice" compact RV generator. :thumbup:

(hang on, i think that name's already taken???). :lol:
It's not a sprint(er) (unless you make it one), it's (hopefully) a marathon.
RV - 2002 Roadtrek 190 Popular (Chevy)
TV - 2009 F150 XLT SuperCrew / Toad - 2003 Chevy Cavalier
Mike
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My RV: 2002 Roadtrek C190P

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion Forum