New Roadtrek CS Adventurous (Camping Series)

Talk about anything related to Class B RV Motorhome Camping Van Conversions here. Got a question? Know the answer? Post it all here.

New Roadtrek CS Adventurous (Camping Series)

Postby markopolo » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:37 pm

Mike Wendland's Roadtrek CS Adventurous teaser video:

Another new model!

SS = Short Sprinter
RS = Regular Sprinter
markopolo
Site Admin

My RV: '97 GMC Savana 6.5L Turbo Diesel Custom Camper Van

Re: Roadtrek CS Adventurous

Postby markopolo » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:01 pm

Bathroom heater, two-door fridge ................ The teaser video is so fast I could not see much more than that.

From the posting on Facebook I think it will be optionally available as an all electric model. I'm not 100% sure whether that applies to the new Roadtrek CS Adventurous or another new model.
markopolo
Site Admin

Postby markopolo » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:54 pm

CS = Camping Series
markopolo
Site Admin

Re: New Roadtrek CS Adventurous (Camping Series)

Postby gerrym51 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:12 pm

going for the even higher end market.
gerrym51
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby booster » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:16 pm

markopolo wrote:Bathroom heater, two-door fridge ................ The teaser video is so fast I could not see much more than that.

From the posting on Facebook I think it will be optionally available as an all electric model. I'm not 100% sure whether that applies to the new Roadtrek CS Adventurous or another new model.

I know I have said this before, but with each new and/or cancelled model I start to believe it more.

It seems that Roadtrek is just creating model after model, and then cancelling them very quickly if they don't sell big immediately. In essence "throwing stuff at the wall to see if anything sticks". With as quickly as they come and go, they don't get a chance to get established, with happy customers to help promote them, and they leave bunches of "orphans" out there to advertise their failures.

As I also have said before, perhaps it is time for Roadtrek to back off to some basic models with options that can make them into lots of configurations (they have all the options already in the various models). Let the dealers (and customers on special order) get what will sell in their market, and order them that way. I would guess it would not take long to see what is being ordered, and sold. Once that info is in hand, they could create better value prebuilt models that would actually be what people want. Great ideas and innovation are only cool if people want them.

We love our Roadtrek, and really want them to survive, but with all the development costs, and quality issues because of all the new models, they may be shooting themselves in the foot.
booster
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby gerrym51 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:31 pm

doesthe classic Roadtrek 190p exist any more. based on RT website i would say no.
gerrym51
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Rok » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:39 pm

As a new potential buyer, I feel that the Roadtrek offerings have a lot of variety already. From what I've heard, there are a lot of problems with every new incarnation, so I would be reluctant to buy a "new" model normally. Unfortunately, the new electric models sound like they might be appealing in a lot of respects. The countertops made of recycled paper are not a deal, however--we have that product (it's called "paperstone") on our bathroom countertop and even water stains it. You can't use most cleaners, including Simple Green on it, and it always looks horrible, even right after it's been cleaned.

I'm kind of glad we won't be making our decision REAL soon. We're having enough problems deciding on a unit as is, without new models comming into the fray.

............Rocky
Rok
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My RV: 2013 Great West Legend SE

Postby booster » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:52 pm

gerrym51 wrote:doesthe classic Roadtrek 190p exist any more. based on RT website i would say no.

Looks like it is still there.

http://www.roadtrek.com/models.aspx?ModelID=17&YearID=14&Country=USA

There are a few differences over the years, like eliminating the cabinet aft of the kitchen and moving the TV, but mostly the same.
Last edited by booster on Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
booster
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby markopolo » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:54 pm

The 190P is listed. The 190V is not.

Dropping a model is just that........... a discontinued model. Maybe a consolidation of the line when the models begin to overlap or simply based on current demand. I suspect, like the 190 Simplicty, You can still get a 190V if you want one.

Jim H wrote:The 190 Simplicity has been removed. Having said that, we are still building orders for people and keeping the specs available for dealers who need them. it was a popular choice, but....we have found that the Ranger RT serves the same buyer, and with the huge level of success that it is enjoying, we need to slim down our offerings..............

Roadtrek is showing the ability to quickly bring concepts to the market. They days of a new model every one or two years look to be over. You can pretty much find anything you want in the current RT lineup.

This new Roadtrek CS Adventurous is very different than the RS Adventurous. The RS is very open and the CS looks to offer a lot more interior storage.

I say "well done" Roadtrek :thumbup:
markopolo
Site Admin

Postby Mike » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:33 pm

booster wrote:
markopolo wrote:Bathroom heater, two-door fridge ................ The teaser video is so fast I could not see much more than that.

I know I have said this before, but with each new and/or cancelled model I start to believe it more.

It seems that Roadtrek is just creating model after model, and then cancelling them very quickly if they don't sell big immediately. In essence "throwing stuff at the wall to see if anything sticks". With as quickly as they come and go, they don't get a chance to get established, with happy customers to help promote them, and they leave bunches of "orphans" out there to advertise their failures.

As I also have said before, perhaps it is time for Roadtrek to back off to some basic models with options that can make them into lots of configurations (they have all the options already in the various models). Let the dealers (and customers on special order) get what will sell in their market, and order them that way. I would guess it would not take long to see what is being ordered, and sold. Once that info is in hand, they could create better value prebuilt models that would actually be what people want. Great ideas and innovation are only cool if people want them.

We love our Roadtrek, and really want them to survive, but with all the development costs, and quality issues because of all the new models, they may be shooting themselves in the foot.

I'm with you. I wonder if any of this is a result of the "merger" with the US management firm that was announced a while back? It does begin to look more and more like desperation. I think the idea of morphing into something closer to a Sportsmobile "pick and choose" system of order the basic model and chassis, and then build to suit with your choice of options, might be a good idea at this point. The big 3 did it (build to suit) for decades after they realized that building 3 or 4 models with a "take it or leave it" sales approach wasn't feasible any more, once smaller players were customizing their offerings to suit the desires of the buyer. One size fits all is a great theory (Russian philosophy with the Lada?) if you loaded it up with all the options, but in practice, probably deters more sales than it captures. People often don't want "the works" and would prefer to personalize their RV. Unless we're really missing the point here, and as Marko says they're impressing and selling this stuff to someone? If the market share numbers are to be believed, people somewhere are buying them as they sit.
It's not a sprint(er) (unless you make it one), it's (hopefully) a marathon.
RV - 2002 Roadtrek 190 Popular (Chevy)
TV - 2009 F150 XLT SuperCrew / Toad - 2003 Chevy Cavalier
Mike
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My RV: 2002 Roadtrek C190P

Postby booster » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:39 am

Yep, Mike, I have been pushing the "ala carte" model for a long time here. Many folks have taken issue with it, thinking they would be too expensive to build that way, which I totally disagree with, if you do it right. If you did build to suit, dealers could order stock units that fit their customers, customers could order exactly what they want, and Roadtrek could gather plenty of information on what people really want. Then they could make some semi-standard models. Sometimes I think Roadtrek believes they are in the consumer electronics business, where models have to change every 6 months.
booster
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Next

Return to General Discussion Forum