Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2011, 02:18 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default 2011 - Got anything planned?

The new year is upon us and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas or knows of
anything that may have been planned for anywhere this year?
Our current plans just include some more State Capitol visits, and one or 2 trips west
to the canyons, but that's all just in the planning stages right now.
We have an annual pass that's due to expire end of April, so we hope to be in AZ/UT sometime
just prior to that, probably for a week or two, to get our last kick at the can with it.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:59 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: 2011 - Got anything planned?

In April we will strike out for Arizona and end up at the BSG Social near Tombstone April 28. After that we are scheduled to attend the RV.net 8th Annual B Rally in Springfield, IL May 15 and we always go to Indianapolis for the Indy 500 Race on Memorial Day weekend. Other than that we haven't made any other firm plans yet other than our occasional short jaunts in northern Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:19 AM   #3
Platinum Member

This summer we may be on the motorcycle more than in the camper van. It's always a toss up between motorcycle & tent, or camper van. Last year the van won out, since we just purchased it in April/10. We'll see. PS: I can't seem to get more than 13 mpg out of the van, I thought that was a tad low?
2011 Malibu LT - wonderful winter wheels
Johnny R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:23 PM   #4
Platinum Member

What size engine? 307? 318? 350? 360? I'd think it should probably get better than 13mpg.
US gallons or Imperial? I can squeeze 20+ MPCG (4.5litres) out of my 2002 Chev 350 V8.
Think it translates to around 16-17MPUSG (3.8litres) .
Tune up, tire pressure, filters and oil changed or cleaned?
What else causes less mileage?
Old 01-19-2011, 01:07 AM   #5
Platinum Member

The van is a 5.2L, or 318 cu.in., and the mileage is imperial gallons. The tailpipe is very clean, which indicates to me the fuel mixture is good. I'd thought it should be closer to 20 mpg as well. Thanks for your reply.
2011 Malibu LT - wonderful winter wheels
Johnny R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:58 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny R
The van is a 5.2L, or 318 cu.in., and the mileage is imperial gallons. The tailpipe is very clean, which indicates to me the fuel mixture is good. I'd thought it should be closer to 20 mpg as well. Thanks for your reply.
I'm thinking something like a dirty air filter, or oxygen sensors or something making it run rich, but
is undetectable unless you get it checked by a shop/computer scan.

You might be able to find one out there (computer engine scanner) and DIY it. I think some
people on this forum have added these things to their repertoir of electronic gadgetry. I think
they might be called scangauge and they can be purchased by Joe Average (like me) although
I haven't actually got one myself.
http://www.scangauge.com/
Might be worth a look?
UPDATE: They can be ordered and apparently shipped. In Canada there are a smattering of retail locations.
In the US they appear to be for sale at AutoZone and Camping World.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:05 PM   #7

My 1985 Dodge Royale 19' camper will get 18 miles to a gallon if I keep it under 60 MPH.It has 200,000 kilometers on it.That was the best I ever got and that was cruising around Florida at 55MPH. It has the 318 with the old three spd automatic trans. The newer ones (after '8 seem to be getting in the neighbourhood of 20MPG with fuel injection and the overdrive trans if driven conservatively.If I put my foot into it,fuel mileage can drop to 13MPG quickly.Just think of what you'd get if you were driving an old Wanderlodge or some other huge RV.

Woodgrain
Woodgrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:08 AM   #8
Platinum Member

If anyone is interested there are still openings to attend the BEE Social near Tombstone, AZ April 28th and the RV.net B8 Rally in Springfield, IL on May 15th. Here are the threads that discuss both on RV.net.

Tombstone B Social

2011 Eighth Annual RV.net Class B Rally (B

The BEE Social is smaller and much more informal. Just a social gathering that will also have some B+s in attendance and I believe a Winnebago Via which is a Class A. The B8 RV.net Rally is larger with up to 50 Bs and is sponsored with sponsored and catered meals and scheduled entertainment. I is strictly limited to Class B conversion vans. Many of the people you will meet you will recognize online so it is a great way to put a face to the messages in forums. It is also a great way to look at other people's Bs and collect ideas, compare experiences or just look at something you might be interested in.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:23 PM   #9
Platinum Member

It seems like the fuel economy question is a common one. Maybe the forum needs a Fuel economy section, where we can all go to ask questions or search for solutions and recommendations.

As for the title of this thread, "Got Anything Planned?"; we will be taking a bit over a week, to attend a professional photography conference, followed by a drive to Reno for a wedding, and back home. All in mid April. The drive down the back roads of Oregon, to Reno, is easy and the views are spectacular.
2014 Honda CR-V
1965 Dodge Coronet 440
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:16 AM   #10
Platinum Member

I hear Roadtrek is coming out with a new half year model known only as the
Smart-Trek, based on the uber-economical MB "Smart ForTwo". It features
fantastic gas mileage, but not much else. It sleeps one, uncomfortably, has a
hand held external only spray bottle shower, the galley is designed around the
Easy Bake Oven, with a Tupperware sink, a state of the art GPS toilet POI
file showing all the most secluded nearby places to run into the bushes, a
hand crank genset, and a GAF View-Master entertainment center complete
with the full Disney collection, including Bambi and Old Yeller, and the best of
The Beverly Hillbillies.

We have a wide open calendar, except I'd really like to see the next shuttle
launch (hopefully with a better low light digital camera, my old one sucks after
dark), and we thought we might then head west to the Tombstone Bee Social,
nearer the end of the month, but nothing is set in stone. I agree about gas prices
having an effect like they did in early 2008, but I'm also getting stir crazy with
this winter, so we'll wait and see for a bit longer. We will be mobile in April, one
way or another.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:48 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
It seems like the fuel economy question is a common one. Maybe the forum needs a Fuel economy section, where we can all go to ask questions or search for solutions and recommendations.............
Yep, I am quoting myself. I contacted Mark (Markopolo), about having a section for fuel economy, since it is one of the big reasons for Class B ownership. Well, Mark placed a new section on the main page, dedicated to "Fuel Economy". Kudos to Mark.
2014 Honda CR-V
1965 Dodge Coronet 440
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:23 PM   #12
Platinum Member

We are just two days away from striking out for the first time in our new GWV Legend. We are taking a very casual trip to Arizona with plenty of time to arrive at the B Social in Huachuca City, AZ near Tombstone to meet up with as many as 30 other Bs April 28th.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:21 PM   #13
Platinum Member

We just got back from a 12 day "shopping" trip to the US south east and as far west as Texas.
Weather was nice to hot, didn't stay anywhere really interesting, but enjoyed the scenery and the
drive, although it was often more than a few long days just cruising the interstates.
Gas prices were high everywhere, we paid on average $335/USgal. Covered about 9,000kms.
We'd like to get out again later in April, but again not sure where to.
Probably west to UT and AZ out 2 favorite areas to camp and kick back.
Might drop by the Bee in Tombstone, AZ if we're in the neighbourhood.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:38 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Davydd, keep us posted. Can you set up a blog?
Old 04-11-2011, 12:25 AM   #15
Platinum Member

I'll probably post a trip report later. We are 12 days into our journey and right now camped in snow in Mt. San Jacinto State Park in Idyllwild, CA high above Palm Springs. Every night so far except for three days parked at a friend's house in Sun City, AZ has been 34F or colder. We can't get away from the cold. It got down to 23F in Canyon de Chelly National Monument. So far we've been to Fort Kearny SRA, NE to see the migrating Sandhills Cranes, Great Sand Dunes NP, Petrified Forest NP, Joshua Tree NP and the other above mentioned. We will soon travel part of Route 66, go to Grand Canyon, Sedona, Sagauro NP and other places before winding up near Tombstone for the BEE Social.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:36 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
I'll probably post a trip report later. We are 12 days into our journey and right now camped in snow in Mt. San Jacinto State Park in Idyllwild, CA high above Palm Springs. Every night so far except for three days parked at a friend's house in Sun City, AZ has been 34F or colder. We can't get away from the cold. It got down to 23F in Canyon de Chelly National Monument. So far we've been to Fort Kearny SRA, NE to see the migrating Sandhills Cranes, Great Sand Dunes NP, Petrified Forest NP, Joshua Tree NP and the other above mentioned. We will soon travel part of Route 66, go to Grand Canyon, Sedona, Sagauro NP and other places before winding up near Tombstone for the BEE Social.
Warmed up anywhere yet?
Old 10-06-2011, 10:34 PM   #17
Bronze Member

I am currently planning on attending the Main Event and RV Show in Quartzite in mid January. I will borrow my daughter's class B as I did last year and spend 4 or 5 days browsing and visiting old friends. I hope it is better attended and operated than last year as it was a bust and I only stayed 2 days and came home disgusted with the local politicos operation of the event. Sure was no where near the fun it used to be but I will try it one more time before I cancel it out permanently. Used to be I would meet up with anwhere from 15 to 25 of my old bud's there but seems everyone, including the vendors, have been turned off with the new rules, regulations and taxes imposed on the sellers by the local Chamber of Commerce. Just too much of a good thing I guess. Anyway, if anyone has plans to attend I will be in my daughter's 1988 E250 Yosemite Express. If you are around, stop and say howdy!
Les
leslane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:13 AM   #18
Bronze Member

By the way, I will be staying at the Desert Gold RV park out in Brenda, about 13 miles east of Quartzsite, just off I-10. I should arrive on the evening of January 12th. They have a very nice, clean facility with security and there is a neat little restuarant right accross the street plus their rates are decent. Hope to see some of you there, just listen for my Tailgator to fire up and bring your own glass for a great pina colada or margarita. I will be in my daughter's little class B camper van, the Yosemite Express.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslane
By the way, I will be staying at the Desert Gold RV park out in Brenda, about 13 miles east of Quartzsite, just off I-10. I should arrive on the evening of January 12th. They have a very nice, clean facility with security and there is a neat little restuarant right accross the street plus their rates are decent. Hope to see some of you there, just listen for my Tailgator to fire up and bring your own glass for a great pina colada or margarita. I will be in my daughter's little class B camper van, the Yosemite Express.
Are you still there? It's over a month later. Wasn't sure how long these treks last.
Just curious how long folks stay out, if there's no schedule in your lives.
Hope to get out soon before the gas prices get any worse.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #20
Bronze Member

Quartzsite is dying on the vine compared to years past. I spent 2 nights there, got food poisoning in a little Mexican restaurant in Blythe the second night there so I eased on home, never to return. The Main Event as it was touted in years past used to be a lot of fun with all the different stuff there, now with the new rules and regulations and taxes and fees, most of the vendors seem to have passed on Quartzsite and gone on down the road. I guess its as the song goes, "all good things must end". I had a lot of good trips there and used to meet up with my old Cronies for good company but the last couple of years have been very sparse in comparison. So, I am thinking about the Tetons in August with my big Class A, but with gas prices what they are, that may not work out either.