Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2016, 03:25 PM   #1

Default Decision - Used Roadtrek or Coach House

Looking to buy our first RV to "practice" for retirement travel thats just 3 years away. Used 94 Roadtrek Versitile 190, Dodge 350, 103K, lots of scratches and bare spots on body, new tires, front seats, neither generator nor fridge work, needs ball joints, $3200. Private owner
vs.
1994 Coach House, 192TB also 103K, everything works, very well maintained. $8900. Dealer

My gut tells me that I can have the Roadtrek completely redone inside for less than $5K. Any advice on the two and things to look out for.
jerryfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 03:38 PM   #2
Platinum Member

"Well maintained" sounds good to me. The other seems very poorly maintained - you have to wonder if it got regular oil changes & lubes etc.

Confirm that they are both on the 1 ton chassis.
"Versatile" is across the van sleeping. If sleeping two, one has to crawl over the other to get out (or both have to get up).
"TB" typically means lengthwise sleeping. Sometimes that also means longer beds for taller folks.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:17 PM   #3

Coach House doesn't build Bs anymore, but they used to have a solid build. If this is your first RV, I would go with the Dealer option and have some reassurance. Buying an RV and not being able to use it immediately is somewhat unnerving. It is better to take it slow rather than planning for a complete re-build.
kvkite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:14 AM   #4

We have owned both and definitely prefer the Coach House. No problems with it...very well made and the RT had a bad air conditioner.
Bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 11:58 AM   #5
Platinum Member

in terms of redoing the interior- keep in mind that everything has to be cut and test fitted through the little door holes, then built in place- it is not like a cabinet can be built in the shop and then moved into place and mounted...
B's are very labour intensive on the interior build.
and that could affect your estimate.

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:17 PM   #6

Default Coach House still builds Bs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvkite View Post
Coach House doesn't build Bs anymore, but they used to have a solid build. If this is your first RV, I would go with the Dealer option and have some reassurance. Buying an RV and not being able to use it immediately is somewhat unnerving. It is better to take it slow rather than planning for a complete re-build.
Coach House is still building Bs. We just bought a new Arriva after a year of looking at all of the new Bs available. Great and very solid coach
raphael is offline   Reply With Quote