Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2022, 03:32 PM   #1

Default How to locate my RV in a junk yard

I own a Roadtrek Agile 2013 and need the sink cover

Granite shops have been tried... cannot match color or pattern so I'd like to know: is there some way to locate a particular vehicle in the many junk yards across the U.S?

Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fNyPt3FDQV6n6vmASATtIQ.jpg (302.7 KB, 34 views)
AG_Ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 03:53 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Is this a manufactured granite?
If you can't match to your like then why not try a contrasting color?
Previously: 1999 36' Foretravel, 1998 Newell, 1993 Newell
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 05:09 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I’d be making a wood one, or having it made. Easy to do.

Have to admit I was taken aback by the title. How does one lose one's RV in a junkyard? I understand it could look so bad it blended in, but wouldn’t it need to sit there long enough for weeds to grow around it?

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 05:14 PM   #4

I made a replacement cover from a kitchen cutting board, Epicurean wood/ bamboo composite. Its actually a bit thinner but was easy to shape with basic hand tools and works well.
Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 05:45 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I think that the cover is not really granite but the composite material like Cambria or Silestone, but if you couldn't find a match it doesn't matter.

We never use our cover on the sink and just leave it on a rubber antislip sheet on the stove to protect the glass in normal kitchen use.

You might want to consider getting a plastic cutting board that is thick enough and cut it to size. Then you have cover and cutting board with no lost space. We have considered doing that. In our 07 Roadtrek.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 06:35 PM   #6

Thanks to everyone for suggesting I shape a wood or plastic cutting board to size.

This presumes I have skills with a handsaw or electric saw (which I do not).

Several years ago I did have a wood one made by a master cabinetmaker at a high cost, and it warped the first year. He told me to turn it over when it did that. So I'm not sure I like the wood solution.

But NONE of you were able to tell me how I might find an RV exactly like mine... in a junk yard. Come on. I can see y'all side-steppin' this good question. Ha!

Sigh. Thanks for the ideas guys, I truly appreciate it!
AG_Ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 07:56 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Junk yards have next to no idea what they have, and particularly not for highly specialized RV coach parts. We tried to find a window part for our 20 year old Roadtrek after it was broken into. Junk yards were like, "You're welcome to come look around." (After driving two hours.)
rtbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 01:33 AM   #8

Try the Wilsonart website (wilsonart.com)
They have a large number of solid surface patterns which might be what you need.

https://www.wilsonart.com/solid-surface/design-library

These are similar to Corian and can easily be cut and shaped.
UKDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 02:31 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Contact Roadtrek. It is a differently owned company but they might have records of your van or van year of what was provided, or you can contact a current Roadtrek dealer for help. You are not going find a junk yard for RVs. That’s like trying to find a needle in a haystack.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 11:31 PM   #10
Platinum Member

A lot of RV carcasses get auctioned through Copart.

The problem is, even if you could find a listing for a compatible vehicle, it’s not clear to me to that Copart would divulge the buyer.

I feel your pain - I’ve been trying to find a way around this same issue for more than 7 years now. A few years back, someone on Air Forums had their rig totaled by a semi-truck - sheared the front end right off (the owner was not injured). And I thought awesome! - finally we can trace a compatible vehicle and whenever one of us needs a part, we can contact that yard and buy it. Especially parts like windows, which are no longer manufactured in compatible form, as far as we know.

Alas, how to find out where that particular wreck ended up, so we would know where to go?? We never did solve this.

Pic of the results from the Copart auction listing:

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 02:16 PM   #11
Platinum Member

IIRC, there are several RV-specific salvage/surplus yards in the Elkhart, Indiana area. Might look for those and see if they have any sink covers. There also appear to be several RV junk yards around Sacramento. Good luck!
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 03:01 PM   #12
Platinum Member

From your photo It doesn’t look like there was a flush matching granite sink cover anyway. A lot of upfitters are using more versatile materials that can double as a cutting board. Butcher block and white plastic are popular. You can pop the sink cover and place it on the counter for using it as a cutting board and still have use of you sink. If that is a standard size sink Roadtrek might have a replacement or a cabinet shop anywhere can probably make you a sink cover.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 12:16 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Today in mind-boggling:

I was doing an unrelated search yesterday when I happened to notice the Houston Copart facility on GoogleMaps. I mentioned Copart in a post above, as the place where damaged vehicles go en route to being vectored toward their final destinations.

The facility is 150 acres in size and the better part of a mile deep, with vehicles covering most of it, parked bumper to bumper. I wish I had a software that could scan the image and estimate the total number of them. Whatever that number is, it's WOW.

OP, the part you seek is probably somewhere in a facility like this. How you'd locate it is another question.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote