Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2018, 11:38 PM   #1
S C

Default Older Roadtrek v Pleasure-Way

I'm looking at buying a Class B vehicle (dream machine). I've looked at ads for both Roadtrek 170 and 190 and Pleasure Way. I'm in the $14K-20K range. Does anyone have a comparison of these two brands or words of wisdom? It's for two fairly short people and a 40 lb. dog. Reliability is more important than looks, but comfort is definitely a concern. We may live in it for a couple of weeks (or 3) at a time...
Any advice or voices of experience welcome. Thanks,
S.
S C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:53 PM   #2
Platinum Member

It helps if you list any preferences or "must have" features. A couple of examples could be:

1) Do you mind the aisle bath/shower, or do you prefer a more private wet bath?

2) How many belted seats do you require (2, 3, 4, 7)?

I know you said it's just the two of you and a dog, but would you ever need it as a people-mover? Or perhaps the extra seats would work as an eating area so you didn't have to take up the rear bed each morning or swivel the front seats (which can be a bit of a pain in some models.) If you don't need the extra seats, you can get one that instead has more storage area.

Since you've already said you do not need a long bed, you could probably get by with a cross-bed model which means you only need to determine if you prefer the permanent rear bed or the power up/down rear bench.

As far a older models go, I wouldn't worry about brand so much as finding a good condition model in your price range.

Good luck with the search. It took me about a year to find our "perfect" class b.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:10 AM   #3
S C

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not sure about the wet bath v aisle bath feature. Does any have any feedback about the convenience of hassles for either on? It looks like the Roadtrek has the aisle shower. Is that a complete inconvenience.

We only need 2 seatbelts, but we do have a dog who will need some sort of elevated space. She won't like lying on the floor .

We would prefer a double or queen instead of twin beds. Would like some sort of independent heat source (rather than the heat of the vehicle).

The size of the Roadtrek 170 is appealing, but we haven't had a chance to try one out. But smaller is better generally.

I hope that helps. Thanks again.
S C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:51 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S C View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not sure about the wet bath v aisle bath feature. Does any have any feedback about the convenience of hassles for either on? It looks like the Roadtrek has the aisle shower. Is that a complete inconvenience.

I can only speak to the wet bath in our model (one of my "must haves"). It takes up more interior space when not in use, but leaves the aisle clear for your other passengers when in use. Plus, when you're in such a confined space together, I figure it is kinder to my other half for keeping smells confined in the rare case you need to do #2. They usually have a vent fan as well. Finally, when you bathe, the aisle is not wet. A separate vent fan helps dry out humidity.

We only need 2 seatbelts, but we do have a dog who will need some sort of elevated space. She won't like lying on the floor .

You'll have to figure out a perch for your dog even with a 3rd passenger seat. Without one, however, you're probably looking at the dog using the rear bed which is an area that can get warm while driving since the dash air has to work hard to make it back that far. We just put a pad on the floor between the front seats for our 70lb. dog and he likes being up by us. Of course, his size makes it easy for him to see out by just sitting up or standing.

We would prefer a double or queen instead of twin beds. Would like some sort of independent heat source (rather than the heat of the vehicle).

You don't need to worry too much about the full bed. Nearly all have that option by filling in the middle with a support and included cushions. Likewise, the Roadtreks and most every class b has a propane furnace with a wall thermostat for heat.

The size of the Roadtrek 170 is appealing, but we haven't had a chance to try one out. But smaller is better generally.

The 170 has the aisle bath/shower, but otherwise I should work well for you. It will have a propane fridge, stove, and furnace. Also a rear a/c with heatpump (unless the previous owner has replaced the original) that runs off 120v plug in or on-board Onan generator, and it will come with a fresh water tank, water pump, gray water tank, and black tank. Pretty complete from the factory.

I hope that helps. Thanks again.
From your questions, you sound quite new to RV's. You can look up old brochures with features on Google and Youtube is your friend when it comes to seeing reviews on-line.

The biggest thing to consider is that your price range limits you to class "b's" that are going to be about 20 yrs old. Add to that, the Dodge, Ford, or Chevy chassis it like a car that will need to checked out as thoroughly as the coach (living) area.

Not trying to deter you, but go check out any for sale in your area. Not to buy so much as to just see what it's like. A class b is very small. We don't mind and as you say "smaller is better". But every time I go in it, I think to myself "Wow, this is small." But that small size means I can park it in my driveway and even use it as a second car rather than paying storage fees.

Remember that saying "You don't live in a class b, you out of a class b." And welcome to the forum!
Old 08-29-2018, 06:13 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Default Most of the space is outside...... correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
From your questions, you sound quite new to RV's. You can look up old brochures with features on Google and Youtube is your friend when it comes to seeing reviews on-line.

The biggest thing to consider is that your price range limits you to class "b's" that are going to be about 20 yrs old. Add to that, the Dodge, Ford, or Chevy chassis it like a car that will need to checked out as thoroughly as the coach (living) area.

Not trying to deter you, but go check out any for sale in your area. Not to buy so much as to just see what it's like. A class b is very small. We don't mind and as you say "smaller is better". But every time I go in it, I think to myself "Wow, this is small." But that small size means I can park it in my driveway and even use it as a second car rather than paying storage fees.

Remember that saying "You don't live in a class b, you out of a class b." And welcome to the forum!
I've referred to my rig as a "rolling submarine"...we have a side bathroom... but have never used the shower.....

We have the model with the shower contained in the closet.... here's a link to the actual model we purchased back in May 2017... it's pretty nice.....I have seen the models with the aisle drain... have heard various stories ... like never again.. also a few pictures here...
More at the link below......

https://www.conejowholesaleauto.com/...beffb59e9eb708

Good luck... It's all a trade off ... price, convenience and features.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Inside RS.jpg (240.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180611_113723.jpg (228.8 KB, 21 views)
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:23 PM   #6
Platinum Member

We have a 2000 Roadtrek 200 Versatile, cross bed(full size) without the rear lounge option. Aisle shower. I prefer it, personally. I/we take a 3-4 month trip yearly along with shorter jaunts. Unless we are driveway camping we generally use the on board shower. My recent four month solo trip I probably used the shower more than fifty times.

Aisle shower disadvantages:

The motorhome is pretty much tied up when using the potty and especially the shower.

HVAC when deployed is quite compromised. The A/C and furnace both get blocked from circulating throughout the van.

I sometimes get a weird feeling about doing a number 2 while basically sitting in the kitchen. Smell is an issue, Fabreeze and Fantastic Fan are your friends.

The shower curtain needs a good wipe down before stowage.

We have to be persnickety about the level of the van for drainage. We need a to have the back of the van slightly lower to contain the water to the shower area although if there is outflow away from the shower it is contained in the dropped floor area.

A bit of a hassle deploying the curtain versus just closing a door, really not a big deal.

Advantages:

More storage area, important in a class B.

Larger area available inside the shower and you don't have to dance with the toilet.

The directly overhead Fantastic fan works well for ventilation.

Living with an aisle shower:

We have a temp probe on the water tank so we can heat the water to an ideal temp for showering so one does not have to fiddle around to get the right temp, saving water and also helping out with water creep when the faucets are on and the shower head is off. That can be quite cold or hot for the initial turn on.

I added a reversing switch to the Fantastic Fan. This "airs up" the shower causing the curtain to bulge out a bit, giving more room to avoid curtain contact. It also helps to dry out the curtain in less humid areas after the shower by re-deploying the curtain after the shower. One can still move about the coach then as the bathroom door would be closed.

All in all, both systems are a compromise. The more room factor has me leaning to the aisle shower. I really don't like dealing with a too small shower.

One advantage to our particular model is the larger fridge and it is not located on the floor.

I would like it if the kitchen were in the passenger side, but not a big deal for us.

Bottom line, buy on the condition of the unit. Ours was neglected and needed quite a bit of work to get it squared away. But the price was quite right.

Stuff will need repairing and/or replacing, you are looking at getting a twenty year old coach. The capacity to do a lot of that work yourself will save a bunch of $$$, time, and hassle.

You'll want to be aware of tank sizes, especially if you want to mostly boondock. IIRC, the 170 has smallish tanks.

Though not critical, a '96 or newer will have OBD II. Nice to have for monitoring trans temp and fuel usage along with the diagnostic capability, through a cheap phone app and Bluetooth plugin thingy.

Hope this helps.

Happy hunting.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 02:41 PM   #7
Platinum Member

SteveJ, good report on the aisle bath/shower. Your point on the "smallish" tanks on the Roadtrek 170 reminded me that it also has only one battery, as opposed to two on many longer class "b's" like the 190. To me, that is significant.

I chuckled when you mentioned reversing the powerful fantastic fan to "billow out" the shower curtain for more room. Cleaver idea. Someone posted a youtube video showing how that worked.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:51 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
SteveJ, good report on the aisle bath/shower. Your point on the "smallish" tanks on the Roadtrek 170 reminded me that it also has only one battery, as opposed to two on many longer class "b's" like the 190. To me, that is significant.

I chuckled when you mentioned reversing the powerful fantastic fan to "billow out" the shower curtain for more room. Cleaver idea. Someone posted a youtube video showing how that worked.
Thanks. There does seem to be a utube video for just about anything. I think I read about doing that either on this forum or the Yahoo mailing list.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:40 AM   #9
Platinum Member

They can be had. I saw this today. Roadtrek for $7000

https://columbus.craigslist.org/rvs/...683154675.html
goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:26 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
Though not critical, a '96 or newer will have OBD II. Nice to have for monitoring trans temp and fuel usage along with the diagnostic capability, through a cheap phone app and Bluetooth plugin thingy.
How do you extract transmission temperature data from your OBD II port?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 04:38 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
How do you extract transmission temperature data from your OBD II port?
IIRC, I had to get an add on PID for the app. There is a temp sensor in the transmission that apparently feeds into the computer.

This is for the OBD Fusion App. There are about a gazillion different readings available. It even has for and aft and side to side G force gauges so I can measure the awesome acceleration of a class B motor home.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:56 AM   #12
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S C View Post
I'm looking at buying a Class B vehicle (dream machine). I've looked at ads for both Roadtrek 170 and 190 and Pleasure Way. I'm in the $14K-20K range. Does anyone have a comparison of these two brands or words of wisdom? It's for two fairly short people and a 40 lb. dog. Reliability is more important than looks, but comfort is definitely a concern. We may live in it for a couple of weeks (or 3) at a time...
Any advice or voices of experience welcome. Thanks,
S.
The 170 is the old version (I'm not sure whether it is available or not, you can have a look at the roadtrek official website), only 190 and 210 popular.

Despite this, you can see their difference as follows:
The 170 is a short van (17'), while the 190 is longer (19'). Both the 190 and 170 use the standard van body and components are built inside the van. The 210 is a shade longer, but also a wide body with a fiberglass shell which is built on a cutaway chassis. There are two main floor plans, the Popular (seats 3), and the Versatile (seats 4). I'm not sure if both floor plans are available in the 170, but there is a option to replace the seat behind the driver with a storage cabinet, which makes it very much like the Popular model. Google search for Roadtrek 190 170 floor plans and check the images for a good visual representation.
Monica998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 03:43 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Default Depends on where you live..... I'll explain below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica998 View Post
The 170 is the old version (I'm not sure whether it is available or not, you can have a look at the roadtrek official website), only 190 and 210 popular.

Despite this, you can see their difference as follows:
The 170 is a short van (17'), while the 190 is longer (19'). Both the 190 and 170 use the standard van body and components are built inside the van. The 210 is a shade longer, but also a wide body with a fiberglass shell which is built on a cutaway chassis. There are two main floor plans, the Popular (seats 3), and the Versatile (seats 4). I'm not sure if both floor plans are available in the 170, but there is a option to replace the seat behind the driver with a storage cabinet, which makes it very much like the Popular model. Google search for Roadtrek 190 170 floor plans and check the images for a good visual representation.

If you live in a particularly wet climate or the rust belt....get the 210.... fiberglass body........
If you live in Southern California or somewhere like that..get the 190.. metal roof....

I've heard many stories of people with roof leaks.. especially on fiberglass because of the many seams.... there's penetrations in the steel roof as well around the air conditioning or fans.... but, for the most part...the roof is probably not going to fail unless rust starts...

Of course..once rust starts...it's practically impossible to stop.....

You're looking for a really old vehicle.... condition is everything.....
Old 08-30-2018, 04:06 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
If you live in a particularly wet climate or the rust belt....get the 210.... fiberglass body........
If you live in Southern California or somewhere like that..get the 190.. metal roof....

I've heard many stories of people with roof leaks.. especially on fiberglass because of the many seams.... there's penetrations in the steel roof as well around the air conditioning or fans.... but, for the most part...the roof is probably not going to fail unless rust starts...

Of course..once rust starts...it's practically impossible to stop.....

You're looking for a really old vehicle.... condition is everything.....

What are you talking about? Have you ever really seen these vehicles?

A 210 has fiberglass sides behind the cab and fiberglass roof. The floor, wheelwells etc are all original steel body of the original van as are the rear doors and entire cab area. There is plenty to still rust, especially as the underbody is usually the first to go, and the most important.

The 190 does not have a steel roof as it is raised and fiberglass. The sides of the 190 are steel and not fiberglass like the 210.

If someone is concerned about structural rust damage and safety issues from it, the unibodies would be much more worrisome than most of the old body on frame units like the older Fords and Chevies.

The big reason to get a 210 over a 190 is extra size in both length and width in the coach area.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 04:17 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Default Another cup of coffee...,..

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
What are you talking about? Have you ever really seen these vehicles?

A 210 has fiberglass sides behind the cab and fiberglass roof. The floor, wheelwells etc are all original steel body of the original van as are the rear doors and entire cab area. There is plenty to still rust, especially as the underbody is usually the first to go, and the most important.

The 190 does not have a steel roof as it is raised and fiberglass. The sides of the 190 are steel and not fiberglass like the 210.

If someone is concerned about structural rust damage and safety issues from it, the unibodies would be much more worrisome than most of the old body on frame units like the older Fords and Chevies.

The big reason to get a 210 over a 190 is extra size in both length and width in the coach area.
Yeah.... you're right... what was I thinking....the frame.....

But, these fiberglass bodies do leak.???

Finally... you really think that a body on frame vehicle is superior to a UNIBODY construction? Please explain....
Old 08-30-2018, 04:35 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
Yeah.... you're right... what was I thinking....the frame.....

But, these fiberglass bodies do leak.???

Finally... you really think that a body on frame vehicle is superior to a UNIBODY construction? Please explain....

Again, read what was said, not just the frame is steel, it is everything including the floor except the dropped area, plus the rear doors and entire cab area. In the 190 the entire RV is steel below the roof beltline, except the drop floor.

You do hear of occasional leaks at the roof to body on some older 190s, not as much on 210s, I think, but I think you are way more likely to get an air conditioner leak on a roof mount van than on the concealed AC Chevy units.

Again, I never said that body on frame was better than unibody. What I said was that if you are concerned about eventual destruction and loss of safety due to rust, it is generally more likely to happen in a unibody because the structural parts are thinner and the entire body carries load. Body rust is totally non structural in a body on frame, not so on a unibody.

You are just again trying to convince whomever, and probably yourself, that what you have is best and others lesser because........Have at it, it your right to do so, but at least get your facts straight and don't mis-state what others have said in trying to do your justifications, as it is not your right to do that.

I think many here are getting tired of repeatedly having to state the the same things over and over because they are getting mis-stated continually so others will get false impressions.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:43 PM   #17
Bronze Member

I have a Roadtrek 190 popular, 2003 with 30,000 miles. I had a Rialta and loved the layout, but getting Volkswagens repaired that are that old is very difficult and very expensive. I am very happy with my Chevrolet chassis, but have read in many blogs that people have trouble with the Dodge chassis of the same vintage. My next class B will be a sprinter based camper or a road track 210 popular. The sprinter has lots more room, but the 210 has lower overall height and is easier to maneuver.We don’t use the aisle shower because we generally stay in camp grounds and use their showers.
cwbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:43 PM   #18
Platinum Member

I have owned a 1996 Roadtrek 190P and currently own a 2007 Roadtrek 210P. If you have not done so, go to roadtrek.com and under "Brochures" at the top click down to model year and put in any date from 2018 way on back to any model year you are likely to encounter. I don't think anyone has as detailed information as was available on the older RTs due to the fact that the company was started by and owned by a family of engineers.

Our 190 was just the two of us and a dog. So is our 210. We prefer the twin beds because it is simple to each get up and down during the night. We use LL Bean light weight sleeping bags instead of trying to make up the bed and deconstruct it every morning......just roll up the bag.

cwbrown in the post above is absolutely correct: some of the Dodges had wondering problems. Our 190 was a Dodge and was fine but it was a 1996 and I seem to recall that the later Dodges were more susceptible to problems. We loved that old Dodge and its absolutely bullet proof 5.2 L 318 cubic inch engine which was perfectly adequate to take us to the top of every pass in Colorado over the years.

Our 190 was an aisle shower, the 210 is both wet bath and aisle shower. We both take a shower every day and the tanks in either one will accommodate that and we can have a good marine shower for three days if we are careful. We NEVER use a campground shower or john and boondock or use state or national parks 95% of the time. The old 190s had one coach battery and the newer ones have two (I think?). The 210 has two batteries. The 190 is a snap to park and the 210 requires a bit more planning, but not much.

For the price range you are considering, I would think a fifteen year or older Roadtrek 190P would be optimal, but the doggie will most likely sleep in the floor on that forty ounce carpeting that RT uses. PleasureWay made some great units back then which are available in your price range if you look for a while and are patient. The PW vs RT discussions are like the old Chevy vs Ford conversations.....both are great to my eye and their quality and engineering were both excellent.

I have NEVER had a leak in either of my two Roadtreks with one exception: the celestial window over the drivers side leaked slightly in a real downpour when the 210 was new. A little Captain Tolley or careful use of any window sealant will correct that in five minutes......or it did for me ten years and lots of rains ago.

You can find a perfectly acceptable rig in your price range if you are patient and diligent. You may have to spend some dough on it, but it will be worth it. By the way, the tank size on the 170 and the across the back bed arrangement are significant considerations for any purchaser. I almost bought a RT 2000 many years ago. They are a little different in layout and construction but I think they are slick Bs.
Doneworking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:55 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Default Rialtas... getting very old..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwbrown View Post
I have a Roadtrek 190 popular, 2003 with 30,000 miles. I had a Rialta and loved the layout, but getting Volkswagens repaired that are that old is very difficult and very expensive. I am very happy with my Chevrolet chassis, but have read in many blogs that people have trouble with the Dodge chassis of the same vintage. My next class B will be a sprinter based camper or a road track 210 popular. The sprinter has lots more room, but the 210 has lower overall height and is easier to maneuver.We don’t use the aisle shower because we generally stay in camp grounds and use their showers.
The last Rialta was 2005.... that's long time ago.... and parts maybe getting harder to get for the coach... plus all German cars are very expensive to repair...if you think it's expensive... wait until you see what it costs for a Mercedes Benz...

As for manuevring...I find my Sprinter very easy to drive....
My RS Adventurous has a shower with the drain located in the bathroom compartment.

The problem with the 190 and 210 is that you have to duck your head everytime you enter the van...I don't like that.

I would think that the Rialta is the most difficult to manuever...it's a Class C you know... not a Class B....

The 210 and the 190 are wider body units than the RS, CS, E-TREKS or any of the other Roadtrek models on the Sprinter chassis.... look, the Sprinter is on a 1 ton chassis...I doubt that the other vehicles are on as robust of a chassis as the Sprinter... maybe I'm wrong??

I really like that the Sprinter is a solid metal body made by Mercedes Benz right at the factory.. and not a cutaway chassis with a box made by someone else..... just me.

Good luck with your decision....
Old 09-09-2018, 06:45 PM   #20

I have a 2000 Pleasure Way Exel. Just 1, sometimes 2 adults and 2 dachshunds. Really bought it so we would never have to worry about motels for them. It is perfect. Previous owners took VERY good care of it. We go to Fl and are outside most of the time so it really is just for sleeping. If you are inside a lot, it may be too small.
Shimmaryna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pleasure way, roadtrek