Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2020, 11:27 PM   #1

Default Parking Class B in your driveway/street & HOAs

Hi - what have been peoples’ experiences with various Homeowner Associations stance on parking Class Bs in front of your house? I would think if you owned / used the van for work they couldn’t really say anything, but I wonder if some of them dislike the look and if it is clearly being used as a RV they could not allow it. I need to find my HOA agreement but thought I’d ask here, thanks.
Dove RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:46 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Doesn’t matter what other experiences are. For YOU, what matters is the language in what you signed and how well you get along with the folks who will interpret it.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:17 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
Doesn’t matter what other experiences are. For YOU, what matters is the language in what you signed and how well you get along with the folks who will interpret it.
This ^ ^ ^ ^.

I removed the gaudy AIRSTREAM badging on my Avenue Suite class b as soon as I brought it home. It is only about 20' long and is fairly stealthy with the roof ac hidden under a shroud. Plus, our HOA is not very active usually taking no action on their own and only if someone complains.

So for so good in 3 years, but my stiuation will be of no help to you since as MsNomer points out, all HOA's are different.

Good luck.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 11:46 AM   #4
Platinum Member

HOAs are setup to protect your property values and pay for common property and upkeep services (property value and amenities). If you don't like that concept don't buy into an HOA and agree to its charter. Saying that I have my Class B parked in my driveway for three days now against the rules for trip prep convenience but am heading out this morning. I normally keep my Class B 9 miles remote in another HOA, a condo garage development of 270 garages.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 02:43 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Every HOA is different and even reading your bylaws may not help because it is all about enforcement. Nearly every one will have a no RV rule. The next question is whether they will consider a conversion van in your driveway to be acceptable. My previous HOA ignored mine for 2.5 summers and then someone bitched and I got a notice. I fought them on the fact that it is my only vehicle, fit in my driveway, and I have a medically valid need. They finally gave in - because of the ADA coverage - but I bought a new place and moved out anyway.

My current HOA has super stringent bylaws... all vehicles must be in the garage, no RVs, no work vans on the property. I figured I'd wait and see what happened. First, just after I moved in, I noticed that at least 4 of the 20 units never put their vehicles in their garages. Then I noticed that another owner - who lived just across from the HOA president - had a Chevy work van that was outside their garage (containing two vehicles) every night and weekend. Then soon after I got back from AZ this spring, a neighbor now has 3 vehicles that never go in his garage... and one of them is a big white Promaster work van. So I think I'm OK... for now.

But a new Board of Directors could decide to enforce the existing rules. And if they do, there is nothing one can do.

HOAs are totally a crapshoot and you need to be ready to deal with any and all options.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:07 PM   #6
Silver Member

No matter who your HOA is today, it will be different in a month, a year or a few years. When that change comes you have the opportunity to find yourself with a flaming butt head who has it all out for RVs. “I’ll win!” No, you won’t. And you will spend a lot of money losing. Eventually some moron will want to clean up the neighborhood.

I, however, found an efficient, effective and well managed solution: I am board president of my HOA.

Steve
16P190
Wolf's Wishing Star, on the Outer Banks in Avon, North Carolina
SteveWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:36 PM   #7
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveWolf View Post
No matter who your HOA is today, it will be different in a month, a year or a few years. When that change comes you have the opportunity to find yourself with a flaming butt head who has it all out for RVs. “I’ll win!” No, you won’t. And you will spend a lot of money losing. Eventually some moron will want to clean up the neighborhood.

I, however, found an efficient, effective and well managed solution: I am board president of my HOA.

Steve
16P190
Hold up, power corrupts. We'll need to check up on you later. Maybe you'll allow? broken down snow machines, naked dogs, who knows what all. Still, I'll bet it goes well.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:35 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveWolf View Post

Steve
16P190
Thanks Steve!!! Community service is important in my book. It is one way we can change City Hall. I have served on the Zoning Board of Appeals in two different communities for going on 20 years now. Getting ready to resign, but concerned who will be APPOINTED by the mayor!!!
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:35 PM   #9
Platinum Member

As stated above by Msnomer & echoed by Rowiebowie
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:38 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Steve,

IF only you had got on this Year's Presidential Ballot ...
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
Old 09-16-2020, 10:55 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Hold up, power corrupts. We'll need to check up on you later. Maybe you'll allow? broken down snow machines, naked dogs, who knows what all. Still, I'll bet it goes well.
Whats wrong with broken down snow machines & naked dogs? I don't have them yet here in Southern California but I was thinking about going on Craigslist and ...
Old 09-16-2020, 10:57 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
Every HOA is different and even reading your bylaws may not help because it is all about enforcement. Nearly every one will have a no RV rule. The next question is whether they will consider a conversion van in your driveway to be acceptable. My previous HOA ignored mine for 2.5 summers and then someone bitched and I got a notice. I fought them on the fact that it is my only vehicle, fit in my driveway, and I have a medically valid need. They finally gave in - because of the ADA coverage - but I bought a new place and moved out anyway.

My current HOA has super stringent bylaws... all vehicles must be in the garage, no RVs, no work vans on the property. I figured I'd wait and see what happened. First, just after I moved in, I noticed that at least 4 of the 20 units never put their vehicles in their garages. Then I noticed that another owner - who lived just across from the HOA president - had a Chevy work van that was outside their garage (containing two vehicles) every night and weekend. Then soon after I got back from AZ this spring, a neighbor now has 3 vehicles that never go in his garage... and one of them is a big white Promaster work van. So I think I'm OK... for now.

But a new Board of Directors could decide to enforce the existing rules. And if they do, there is nothing one can do.

HOAs are totally a crapshoot and you need to be ready to deal with any and all options.
If you have that Ace Card of an ADA, consider yourself beyond their reach.

You don't have any Snow equipment or Naked Canines do you?

Tat's too much of a reach but if you have a Naked Dog or two, please PM asap
Old 09-17-2020, 02:45 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
If you have that Ace Card of an ADA, consider yourself beyond their reach.

You don't have any Snow equipment or Naked Canines do you?

Tat's too much of a reach but if you have a Naked Dog or two, please PM asap
Using the ADA would require a lawyer and a fight, of course. My previous HOA knew that I would most likely win. LOL And I refused to dress my late dog in silly costumes so she was always naked... as all dogs should be.

There are some HOAs that will accept van campers when used as a daily drivers, as they should. After all, a $100K conversion is rather different that a beat-up banger VW van covered with psychedelic peace signs. (much as I'd love to have one)
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:02 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
After all, a $100K conversion is rather different that a beat-up banger VW van covered with psychedelic peace signs.

For some who are attracted to that which an HOA offers- no difference

Arizona has very strong HOA rights where foreclosure & property liens can be started when fines ( + interest) reach a cumulative figure less than $2000

the stories on the news can be confounding

but as pointed out- there is a contract and people willingly enter into

age of residents, house & trim color, plants, work vehicles, street parking, driveway parking etc etc

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:59 PM   #15
Platinum Member

I did not even know my house was in an HOA until presented with the fact at closing. Sure, there may have been a small "checked" box on the real estate contract, but it went unnoticed.

Based on my experienceI would never willingly buy again in an HOA. Downside is just more than upside in my opinion. We have plenty of inconsiderate neighbors in ways that even an HOA cannot prevent. Luckily our association board members (incompetent dullards that they are) mostly do nothing.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:56 PM   #16
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
I did not even know my house was in an HOA until presented with the fact at closing. Sure, there may have been a small "checked" box on the real estate contract, but it went unnoticed.

Based on my experienceI would never willingly buy again in an HOA. Downside is just more than upside in my opinion. We have plenty of inconsiderate neighbors in ways that even an HOA cannot prevent. Luckily our association board members (incompetent dullards that they are) mostly do nothing.
I moved because of an HOA, and I now have a nice duplex with plenty of parking. I recommend everyone be up front and talk with their board people (even get a memo in writing if you can) I saw a nice new house in a gated community and I was told I could not have my Travato Class B parked on the side. I passed on the house. We always take this type of situation into consideration, when we buy or rent. Plus travel at resorts, hotels, and timeshares. Also HOA people can get crazy like down in Florida. I think they are making up for some past issues in their lives. LOL I did have one good situation once, in a townhome, but that was before all the legal crap going on today. If you can't get to your RV or easy access it, then you will tend not to use it as much. I have a boat and RV parked and some of my neighbors joke about my used car lot, but hey I worked hard for these toys and I plan on using them until I can't in several (hopefully longer) years. If you want to challenge your HOA get a lawyer and pay the fee. LOL
Beachlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:10 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post

Didn't you have a attorney representing you? A attorney is suppose to look out for your interest!!
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:32 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Not all States require an Attorney but the Realtor should have disclosed this
Old 09-22-2020, 03:22 AM   #19
Platinum Member

You don't have to be in a HOA to start having issues parking a RV at your home. I intentionally bought a house without a HOA (most homes in my city have HOAs) Since then the city council passed a law that forbid parking a RV overnight on the street in front of your house unless you get a permit. You're allowed two 3 day permits per year.

My RV is parked next to my driveway, several of my neighbors have their RVs parked next to their house, driveway or in their driveway. Someone has been calling the city to complain about RVs in the neighborhood. No one has been parking their RVs on the street, there is no law against parking a RV on your property. There aren't that many RVs and most of them are well maintained.

According to the code enforcement person, my RV isn't considered a RV by the city's standards. I'm worried they will pass another law that forbids RVs on your property. I feel the complaining neighbor should move to one of the thousands of homes with HOAs.
Lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 04:22 AM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennie View Post
You don't have to be in a HOA to start having issues parking a RV at your home. I intentionally bought a house without a HOA (most homes in my city have HOAs) Since then the city council passed a law that forbid parking a RV overnight on the street in front of your house unless you get a permit. You're allowed two 3 day permits per year.

My RV is parked next to my driveway, several of my neighbors have their RVs parked next to their house, driveway or in their driveway. Someone has been calling the city to complain about RVs in the neighborhood. No one has been parking their RVs on the street, there is no law against parking a RV on your property. There aren't that many RVs and most of them are well maintained.

According to the code enforcement person, my RV isn't considered a RV by the city's standards. I'm worried they will pass another law that forbids RVs on your property. I feel the complaining neighbor should move to one of the thousands of homes with HOAs.
Its not Covid perse but there has been an increase in people filing petty complaints across the entire spectrum of Human Engagement.

Bizarre behaviour not unlike arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

The good thing; the Officers who normally would enforce such laws are for the most part, refusing to act on such trivial matters.

When all of us, even independent types like I, need a sense of Community Spirit versus Division.

And perhaps the complaintant was forced by threat of gunpointbto go tent camping as a 5 year old & thinks we are all, sub human.

I deal with people who represent the entire spectrum & in Truth, the happiest people are those, in a positive struggle but nonetheless enjoying the great outdoors in RVs.

Yes we are a little different to the Hotel only crowd.

A little different to the Class A Supersize only crowd.

And much different to the Cruise only crowd (usually also Class A owners).

We tend to be more independent, more practical & perhaps, a little more grounded.

I don't know if that is because our sewer lines of all the RV Classes are closest to Mother Earth or just the up close nature of our Class B ritual of dumping black tanks keeps us humble.

As one of my Coaches emphasized "There are two kinds of people, those that are humble & those that are a moment away from being humbled ..."