Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2011, 10:12 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Selling the C - mixed emotions

Selling the C - mixed emotions: http://moncton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... Z268456240

Copied here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1752

Comments? Price too high, too low.............
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:36 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Selling the C - mixed emotions

Priced appropriately, I think. I bought a similarly used Class C many years back for almost that amount. It was a Fleetwood 29 footer. Problem is likely going to be finding folks who can get financing, if needed.

Good luck!

https://www.classbforum.com/images/1994%20GMC.jpg
VernM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
Platinum Member

You said you would consider a partial trade on a B. Is a B your future?
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:23 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Yes, for sure.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:01 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

I'll ask the first question you'll get from most potential buyers.
Gas mileage? I know it's around 8 mpg. I'd add that to the listing.
Whenever I list something for sale, I try to include any possible
negatives, just to prevent any awkward silences, and to avoid
wasting my time and theirs. Nothing to hide, seems to work for me.
It's a beautiful rig, and I hope it sells (or trades?) quickly for you.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:24 PM   #6
Silver Member

I can't see the ad for some reason so I can't see the price or the the MH itself. I will tell you when selling anything you never point out the negatives. I don't see the gas mileage as a negative for a MH. Anyone looking for a Class C and makes the gas mileage a deal breaker is a waste of your time and theirs. Point out the positives and sell it that way. A MH allows a life style that no other thing can give you. The freedom, your own bed, your own shower, control your own food intake (healthy), taking your house with you, your own clean bathroom on the road, no booking hotels, able to change your route on the go, no back tracking after a day of exploring to pickup your trailer, self contained, no hooking up, great for day trips, safe at rest areas by not having to leave the main vehicle.....you get the point. That is how you sell your MH.
V10
Steve_Guelph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:43 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Guelph
I can't see the ad for some reason so I can't see the price or the the MH itself. I will tell you when selling anything you never point out the negatives. I don't see the gas mileage as a negative for a MH. Anyone looking for a Class C and makes the gas mileage a deal breaker is a waste of your time and theirs. Point out the positives and sell it that way. A MH allows a life style that no other thing can give you. The freedom, your own bed, your own shower, control your own food intake (healthy), taking your house with you, your own clean bathroom on the road, no booking hotels, able to change your route on the go, no back tracking after a day of exploring to pickup your trailer, self contained, no hooking up, great for day trips, safe at rest areas by not having to leave the main vehicle.....you get the point. That is how you sell your MH.
Some newbies will have no idea what a class C will get for mileage. We didn't, and I doubt most do.
They will see all the niceties, as you've mentioned, and think it's a great buy, like some that we saw
online when we were looking for RVs and were new to RVing and looking at the various shapes and sizes.
So I think it's prudent to post it up as part of the ad. As you say, those who don't care about gas mileage,
will ignore it anyway, and those who do, won't waste your time or theirs. Just my opinion.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:47 PM   #8
Platinum Member

We're looking at selling our "C" this year as well. We haven't used it in almost 2 years and we need something a little newer. We can't get a "B" because our family is too big for one. My wife wants a full camper but I would be happy with a pop-up camper. What ever we get, it needs to fit 5 people with 2 dogs. My truck is rated for a 5200 pound trailer but we won't be getting anything that heavy.
renrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:43 PM   #9
Platinum Member

None of these will make the list then?
http://www.roamingtimes.com/b/articles/ ... ers-1.aspx
Old 03-29-2011, 10:23 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Funny Mike. I have seen some that small that are quite roomy inside. They have the pull out bunks that makes them larger than just the trailer.

We were looking at a camper but I'm not too sure about the weight of it. It's 3060Lbs dry weight so it can easily be an extra 1000Lbs in water and gear. My truck is rated for pulling 5200Lbs but that's the max. Pulling something that heavy would kill the gas mileage. We may go look at it again this weekend but I'm reluctant to get something this heavy.

http://www.crossroadsrv.com/slingshot/f ... FD&type=tt

Another local dealer says they will be getting in a new model this spring that is only 7ft wide and ultralight weight. I may wait to see what they are like when they get some in stock.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:09 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renrut
Funny Mike. I have seen some that small that are quite roomy inside. They have the pull out bunks that makes them larger than just the trailer.

We were looking at a camper but I'm not too sure about the weight of it. It's 3060Lbs dry weight so it can easily be an extra 1000Lbs in water and gear. My truck is rated for pulling 5200Lbs but that's the max. Pulling something that heavy would kill the gas mileage. We may go look at it again this weekend but I'm reluctant to get something this heavy.

http://www.crossroadsrv.com/slingshot/f ... FD&type=tt

Another local dealer says they will be getting in a new model this spring that is only 7ft wide and ultralight weight. I may wait to see what they are like when they get some in stock.
We probably would have one of these if we didn't have the Roadtrek

http://www.trailmanor.com/
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:33 PM   #12
Platinum Member

The price sure is right, unless you add a new hauler to the overall price.
Looks decent, but for unknown reasons, I just can't get my head around
leaving part of the traveling road show unattended in a campground, while
we drive around looking at stuff.
Lots of people do it, though, without giving it a second thought. I like to keep
everything with me for security/peace of mind, I guess.
We almost had our first "problem" whilst boondocking in South Carolina last week,
so better security has become an issue.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:02 PM   #13
Platinum Member

I understand about taking your things with you but leaving a camp site empty can cause problesm too. It's common in Provincial Parks to see someone with a motor home leave to go into town and come back to their site being occupied by someone else. You almost need a tent or something to set up to show the site is not available. I saw the cone someone posted a while ago and that would work for honest people. Leaving a trailer assures you keep the site. Having an actual camper and not a pop-up gives a little more security. I don't like the fact there are only a few zippers between the inside of the pop-up camper and anyone who wants in. Locking the doors seems almost pointless.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:37 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Isn't there a little tag on a post or something that lets others know the site is occupied?
That's what they do in the NPS places in the USA. If the tag is on the stick, keep going,
or at least read it as they put the departure dates on them. I can see if you left your site
early on the morning of check out and then came back before 11:00, you might have a problem.
I just find it odd that someone would settle into an occupied site when there's usually a
sign of some sort that it's occupied. Do people pull the "occupied" tags or notices, and toss them
and then take your spot?
I guess ironically, we had a similar "possession" issue in Bryce Canyon last year. We wanted a
particular spot with a southern sky access, as I wanted to try the satellite dish rig. There was one
in the pull throughs that was designated as 20' or bigger, which we are, bumpers/hitch included.
Some big rig must have complained that we were too short, and the PR/host came by and asked us
about it. He seemed satisfied that we were long enough (size matters?) and we had a long and friendly
chat afterwards. Nice fella, had to take his wife south to Phoenix because she had respiratory issues and
there was a controlled burn scheduled, so he was heading south same time we were heading north.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:41 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Isn't there a little tag on a post or something that lets others know the site is occupied?
That's what they do in the NPS places in the USA. If the tag is on the stick, keep going,
or at least read it as they put the departure dates on them. I can see if you left your site
early on the morning of check out and then came back before 11:00, you might have a problem.
I just find it odd that someone would settle into an occupied site when there's usually a
sign of some sort that it's occupied. Do people pull the "occupied" tags or notices, and toss them
and then take your spot?
I guess ironically, we had a similar "possession" issue in Bryce Canyon last year. We wanted a
particular spot with a southern sky access, as I wanted to try the satellite dish rig. There was one
in the pull throughs that was designated as 20' or bigger, which we are, bumpers/hitch included.
Some big rig must have complained that we were too short, and the PR/host came by and asked us
about it. He seemed satisfied that we were long enough (size matters?) and we had a long and friendly
chat afterwards. Nice fella, had to take his wife south to Phoenix because she had respiratory issues and
there was a controlled burn scheduled, so he was heading south same time we were heading north.
We have a collapsible road cone that we have our name marked all over (so it doesn't disappear), that we leave in the parking area. Also have "hazard" tape that we can string across the entrance if we want. We have only had one issue, and that was before the cone and tape, but luckily the camp hosts caught the folks throwing our stuff to the side to take our site in Custer State Park.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:58 PM   #16
Platinum Member

So people will take an unattended campsite? Was there an occupancy tag or receipt on the campsite
identifying you as the site owners?
That's pretty lame.
There must be some reliable way for the hosts to know who is supposed to be in which site. Like this...

The 22nd was the departure date. Simple? The pic was taken the day before. The hosts collect the
payment and site details forms often and place the tear off part of the tag on the post. They keep
the other half for identifying who owns which site, in case someone tries to mess with you. It's not
perfect and I can think of how an unscrupulous person could try to screw you around, but we've never
had any real problems (to date).
The site (39) is primo for satellite acquisition towards the southern sky, so I wanted a reminder for
when we return. It's an oversize pull through, so will accommodate (officially) most 190s or longer.
It could also hold a big truck and TT if you have one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ustripsep10 1457.jpg (118.6 KB, 1576 views)
Old 03-31-2011, 12:30 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Yep, some folks are pretty piggy. We had our leveling blocks, entrance mat, power cord and some stuff on the picnic table. The tag was on the post. The hosts said they saw a van drive through the campground (very small campground) and then go back to our site, pull in, and start throwing our stuff to the side. The hosts confronted them, and got a pretty heated argument from the folks, that didn't end until the hosts said they were going to call the park ranger and police.

Afterward, we had a nice talk with the hosts, who said that stuff like that goes on all the time. They said one of the most common things is for someone in a big rig to rent a spot, and then look around for a nicer one that is unoccupied (campers out somewhere). They will take the nicer spot, and when the rightful folks come back they make a big deal about how tough it is to move the big rig, how sorry they are, yadda yadda, and could the others take the spot that the big riggers had rented. All a big scam and done regularly, per the hosts.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:11 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Yeah, I guess I've thought about that one, I'm sure there are other ways to bullsh1t the staff, while
acting like the innocent or injured party, to try to weasel a nicer site.
In your case, what could the perps have possibly said to defend the fact that they were stealing your spot?
"oh sorry, we thought they'd abandoned their power cord, blocks, and mat"? I think the hosts did the right
thing and stood their ground on your behalf, as they should.
I still think there are people out there that are just lame to try that. Thankfully we haven't met any yet.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:06 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
Selling the C - mixed emotions: http://moncton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... Z268456240

Copied here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1752

Comments? Price too high, too low.............
I just ran the average equipment and year/mileage/etc. through the NADA RV pricing guide and
you're about in the middle of the range ($36K-$43K) for price. I didn't have enough specific information
re: capacities and sizes and specific types of equipment to be able to always choose the exact item from
the possibilities, so I went middle option on many choices. Your C is in better than average shape, so the
higher price might be more accurate. I used a zip code from Buffalo, NY, so the numbers might be lower
than if I'd used Beverly Hills or Westchester County.
Here's the link if you want to try specifics ....
http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs
Old 03-31-2011, 11:39 AM   #20
Platinum Member

I had it at $45,000 at first but I think that would have needed a buyer specifically looking for a Bigfoot. At $40,000 it is priced lower than the competition in the online ads I see for this area.

I just have to be patient. It is too early for camping here. Still below freezing at night. I don't think many people are looking yet.

Two scam emails have come in. Both want to purchase it immediately. The poor grammar raises suspicion and a Google search of the text and/or email addresses confirms that they are scams.