Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2021, 09:54 PM   #1

Default Working Onan 2800 Generator for Sale (Maybe) - MD

Hi All,
2 months ago my friend and I bought a 1996 Dodge Roadtrek 190 that came with a Onan 2800 generator. Amazingly it starts and runs well, having tested it with the Microwave and the Window AC unit. We have a Fantastic fan, will be using the Roadtrek in mostly temperate climates and do not microwave. Our plan is to install solar and we would would consider selling the generator if the interest and sale price is right. What do these things sell for used? Having perused several of the well-known Roadtrek owner blogs, it seems like $600-800? Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks
doliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 04:03 PM   #2

That’s a fair price. I’d get it out of the unit, then remove the entire mounting kit (it’ll be bolted to the floor of your rv) and offer the whole thing as a package for $750. Make a video of it running, and use a multimeter to show output. If you don’t know how to do that, find a motor repair shop near you and pay them for a little labor to put on the bench and take pics of the meter readings and the invoice they give you. Also ask them to “meg” it-that’ll show that the generator windings are good.
FlatlandSkier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 04:20 PM   #3
otr
Gold Member

Default Generator pricing

I would start with a higher price, you can always go lower, and always anticipate that buyers consider an asking price a starting point!
We added 200 watts to our 2000 190v last summer, as very conservative electricity users it's great. We found someone with about a 2012 RT who was upgrading and bought their removed equipment. Send a note if you would like to see some photos or thoughts
otr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 05:10 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Based on the response we got to our 25 hour, not rusty, setup for test and showing higher than rated output, the $750 is probably pretty good if they can find a buyer. We are in Minnesota and I advertised it here and on the websites at $800 and got essentially no response except a couple that wanted it for $500 and for me to pick up shipping it across the country.

Finally a local showed up after a couple of years of trying and wanted to see it run so did a full bench setup with loads on it. He wanted to go down some, but with the extra time of me setting it all up and wiring an outlet in, he did give the $800 after seeing how well it ran. He saw over rated output for over 30 minutes continuous load, and then multiple restarts to test that. He knew his stuff, for sure.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 05:45 PM   #5

Hi--yes, i would be interested to see some of your install photos of the solar unit. As in: what do i have to install the unit and make it work in my "95' RT 190 P. I have a single house battery right now. Can i piggy-back another battery right next to the original?
glenncoenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 09:29 PM   #6
otr
Gold Member

The house battery in our 2000 is under the floor on the driver side rear corner, the box is big enough for 2 batteries, ours came with one 12 v, I replaced it with 2 AGM 6v batteries, they just fit in, and I built a plywood box cover as they are a bit taller than the standard batteries, wired them in series. Brought the cabling in thru the AC compartment thru the cabinets and ran a conduit down along the cabinets just forward and above the bed and into the area below the bed.
Old 02-28-2021, 10:01 PM   #7
Site Team

Well, two of them sold on eBay recently. One sold for $1200 plus $100 shipping "as is", with some broken bits. The other one had an asking price of $1450, but sold "best offer", which is not disclosed. There don't seem to be any listed right now, which is a good sign.

If you really care about selling a specialty item like this for a good price, eBay is the way to go. Depending on a local market is an extreme crap shoot. I realize that if you have never done it, selling on eBay may seem intimidating at first. But it is really quite pleasant most of the time. We started doing it about a year ago as a side effect of cleaning out our house, and to get rid of some leftover antique motorcycle parts. We have had more than $3000 in sales for stuff that we would have thrown away. Shipping something that big also sounds scary, but there are services that will deal with it for you if you like. I recommend using "buy it now" pricing, perhaps with "or best offer". Auctions are more complex and are also a crap shoot. Looking at "sold" items is a very powerful pricing resource.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 11:00 PM   #8

Default I'm interested in your onan 2800 - Your asking price? Location?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doliner View Post
Hi All,
2 months ago my friend and I bought a 1996 Dodge Roadtrek 190 that came with a Onan 2800 generator. Amazingly it starts and runs well, having tested it with the Microwave and the Window AC unit. We have a Fantastic fan, will be using the Roadtrek in mostly temperate climates and do not microwave. Our plan is to install solar and we would would consider selling the generator if the interest and sale price is right. What do these things sell for used? Having perused several of the well-known Roadtrek owner blogs, it seems like $600-800? Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks
Am interested in your generator - cost? Location?
tubtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:50 PM   #9
otr
Gold Member

I agree 100% especially using sold on ebay to get a reality check on pricing. This said, I sell many things on Craigs and a surprising number of people contact me from far away. I actually bough our Roadtrek on Craigs, it was listed in Central NJ, I live in Vt.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:18 PM   #10
Bronze Member

What are you replacing it with?
alaskasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:06 PM   #11
Bronze Member

Default Interested

Would be interested (Maybe) if the price is right. Would drive from eastern NC to inspect. Need a replacement for my 2006RT210V. Bill
Swishewk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2.8, 2800, generator, onan