Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2021, 07:37 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default NHTSA Recall : 2020-2021 Roadtrek Play/Slumber/Zion/Zio SRT - Missing CO Detector

NHTSA Recall ID Number :21V477
Manufacturer :Roadtrek Inc.
Subject :Missing Carbon Monoxide Detector
MakeModelModelYears

ROADTREK PLAY 2020-2021

ROADTREK SLUMBER 2020-2021

ROADTREK ZION 2020-2021

ROADTREK ZION SRT 2020-2021
Old 07-13-2021, 03:54 AM   #2
Platinum Member

For some reason I couldn't find the link.

But does that mean the new Roadtrek wasn't following RVIA standards?
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 12:20 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Hmmm, it worked yesterday. Maybe the recall was in error, or the recall number. I guess if you've got one of the affected year/make/models, and you have a CO detector, you're fine, if not, I would follow up with Roadtrek or the NHTSA.
The NHTSA recall lookup link is by VIN, here...
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

I just tried several of the other recall links from yesterday, and got zero results for them, too.
I suspect the problem is at the NHTSA.
This has never happened before, in my memory.
Old 07-13-2021, 03:49 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I just used the link and it worked for me. I did the right click "open in a new tab" in Firefox browser.

It sounds like the units may use a combo detector and they put in one that didn't have the CO detector in it.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 05:17 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I just used the link and it worked for me. I did the right click "open in a new tab" in Firefox browser.

It sounds like the units may use a combo detector and they put in one that didn't have the CO detector in it.
Hey booster, long time, no post? Still got the Chevy Roadtrek?

I just tried clicking the link I posted, and it worked that (vanilla) way, too. Firefox browser.
NHTSA must have been "experiencing technical difficulties" this morning.
Old 07-13-2021, 06:34 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Hey booster, long time, no post? Still got the Chevy Roadtrek?

I just tried clicking the link I posted, and it worked that (vanilla) way, too. Firefox browser.
NHTSA must have been "experiencing technical difficulties" this morning.

I wondered what happened to you, welcome home. What RV(s) have you got these days?

Still got the 07 190P, and we got back a week ago from a bit under 3 week trip to Custer State Park in the black hills. Good to get out again and van performed very well, as expected, and the new Agilis tires were as good or better than the MS2s. Only issues were the Isotherm frig started to fail on the third day out, but with a lot of fiddling around got it to barely survive and keep cool enough to not spoil anything. I am putting in a new one now and nearing being done. Also lost a wheelcover, but that kind of stuff is sort of expected with the way the roads are many places.
Old 07-13-2021, 06:45 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
I wondered what happened to you, welcome home. What RV(s) have you got these days?

Still got the 07 190P, and we got back a week ago from a bit under 3 week trip to Custer State Park in the black hills. Good to get out again and van performed very well, as expected, and the new Agilis tires were as good or better than the MS2s. Only issues were the Isotherm frig started to fail on the third day out, but with a lot of fiddling around got it to barely survive and keep cool enough to not spoil anything. I am putting in a new one now and nearing being done. Also lost a wheelcover, but that kind of stuff is sort of expected with the way the roads are many places.
What happen with your fridge?
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 07:51 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
What happen with your fridge?

Don't know for sure, but it has lost capacity. It acted like the cooling fan wasn't running, but as it turns out it does run. We had a bit of weirdness on our last trip a 1.5 years ago and thought it was another failing thermostat and this time acted similar, but much worse. It had run for two days before we left with no issues and for 3 days after we left, but then the temp jumped from holding 37* to mid 40s*. Changing compressor speeds didn't help and maybe got worse at higher speeds even. I adjusted the screw adjuster on the thermostat and it cooled down a little in the evening and more overnight, but shot right back up to 45* the next day, running 100% of the time. This is the same frig that was in 105* heat, on the sunny side of the van, in Zion, and would hold temp on the lowest compressor speed even. I took out the drip tray and opening the freezer door as far as I could and it struggled along until near going home time, dropping to 32* overnight an up to 40* during the day. It also got warmer when driving sometimes. I have it on the bench now and the current is correct but cooling is down. About the third day after it started acting up, I was still messing with the thermostat and getting it to turn on and off with it and right after that it cooled down quite quickly and cycled a few times and then went back to not cooling well, so pretty odd.

I have the new Cruise Elegance on the bench running now with all the foil board insulation in place on it and inlet air duct to fan inlet on and sealed up. Very interesting how much more air goes over the coils when the duct is on and all the air bypasses sealed up. Coils run noticeably cooler, too, as does the compressor body.

Since the new frig comes with a mechanical thermostat I decided I wanted to use it for a backup for the ITC, but in our van you can't get to the control unit without pulling the frig out to the inside of the van. My first thought was to add switches or connectors to do it from the outside of the van going in through the lower vent. What worried me was the ITC electronic sensor has a filter capacitor on it across the sensor connections to the control and the mechanical one has a second brown wire of unkown use that goes to a third connection on control. I finally decided to just test it and hope for the best. I put a 3 pin Delphi style waterproof connection on wires to the ITC at the rear of the frig, and put a two pin one on the wires from the control to sensor. I put a matching half connector on the two wires from mechanical thermostat so I could plug it into the connector half that goes to the control after unplugging the electronic sensor. As luck would have it, the frig runs fine on both thermostats when the plugs are changed around, so we have an easy emergency thermostat available by going in the vent and unplugging two connectors and plugging in one. Maybe 5 minutes to do that.

Have the Wattsup on it now with a gallon of 71* water put into it to see how fast cools down off the ITC auto function and then I will run an overnight holding watt hour test to see how much energy it actually used.

Dumb way they have the ITC panel mount, with it snapping in and covering the screws that hold the box cover on. You have to unsnap the very tight hooks to get it open to unplug or replace it instead of just taking out two little screws and releasing the clips from behind the panel.

I will be starting a discussion on all this when I get it finalized and in place, and then probably delete this here to not pollute this discussion.
Old 07-13-2021, 10:03 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:

Hey, I'm technically still a class/type C owner now, but I get the NHTSA weekly recalls, and figured if any B type stuff happens to get recalled, I'll post it up on here.

We decided to get ourselves a separate shower and toilet/sink combo after years of making do with paid showers. It was our main gripe about the Roadtrek, we just weren't ever going to use the aisle shower, so after 8 years of settling, it was finally the impetus to move on. Sold the Roadtrek for just over half what we paid for it 8 years and 250,000kms earlier, so that was an unexpected windfall.
We had always planned on switching from touring to destination style travel, as we got older, and started looking.
So, after much homework and looking around, we tried a brand new 2016 Sunstar 26HE on the F53 chassis, V10 gas, 3 valve, 6 speed transmission, as it seemed to check all the boxes. It was the shortest one they offered at the time, and we thought it was the answer. Lots of room, separate sleeping, bath, galley, and living areas, handling was OK, and manageable, and we could tow our Wrangler with it. It wasn't terribly techie, no solar, no fancy batteries, and no inverter, but those were on the to do list. It did however, have some flaws that we discovered very quickly. To take advantage of the V10 power, you have to really press that gas pedal to get the RPMS up over 4000, to hit peak HP/Torque. Not only does that cripple any fuel economy we might have expected (we didn't expect much and that's what we got), but it makes it impossible to hear yourself think in the cockpit area, let alone talk to each other. And the doghouse was an unexpected heat source and PITA. To be fair, we took it on one trip, about 4500 miles round trip, and decided it wasn't the one. When we got home, we started looking for something else. We happened to be at the dealership where we bought the Sunstar, and DW sees a Navion, low profile (the cab over had been deleted), loaded, and we asked about it. It was sold, but they said we could have a look inside, so we did, and immediately ordered ours. Got a great number on our low mileage Sunstar, traded it in, and we picked up our 2018 Navion 24V a few months later in March 2018.
It has been the best of the three motorhomes we've tried. At first the diesel intimidated, but that vanished quickly when we realized the power at low RPMs and the much better fuel economy, in a motorhome that could do everything the other 2 had done, only better overall. Not as nimble as the Roadtrek, not as roomy as the Sunstar, but the blend was a better match for us.
Wish they'd reopen the border so we could get back out there.