Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default 2012 - Where to go and what to do this year?

Mike usually starts this topic each year But I figured I beat him to it this time

PEI (Prince Edward Island) http://www.tourismpei.com/index.php3
Mount Carleton Provincial Park http://www.tourismnewbrunswick.ca/Pr...id=1373#ec1996
Fundy National Park http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/nb/fundy/index.aspx
Kittery Outlets in Maine http://www.thekitteryoutlets.com/directory.cfm
Exploring Maine http://www.visitmaine.com/attraction...ational_parks/
Exploring Quebec http://www.bonjourquebec.com/qc-en/sports0.html

are all on my list
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:02 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: 2012 - Where to go and what to do this year?

Don't forget this one while you're in the area
http://www.thehopewellrocks.ca/

I'm still thinking ANWR. And Alaska itself. Juneau, at the very least (for Johnny R if he doesn't make it )
No definite plans yet, but it might be a possibility.
Other than that, maybe California, to visit family?
The usual suspects, Utah, Arizona, and after that no clue.
Planning is not our forte.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
Platinum Member

We have plans to go to Class B socials in Missouri in April and in Wisconsin in September. They are always fun. We'll also make our annual trek to the Indianapolis 500 in May combined with my pork tenderloin sandwich tour. Between Missouri and Indianapolis we may also take on the Bourbon Trail Tour in Kentucky. Our big event now is we are seriously thinking of driving the Alaska Highway to Alaska this summer. I think we would like to return via the inland Alaska ferry.

BTW, Mike, I see no highways to Juneau. How do you plan to go there? I do see a road to Skagway. That is the one town we missed when we did a Holland America cruise from Seward to Vancouver.

The 2012 Milepost Alaska Highway Directory features a Roadtrek Sprinter Class B on the cover.

http://www.amazon.com/Milepost-2012-Kri ... 696&sr=8-2
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:31 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Trust you people to establish a State Capital with no easy overland route in or out.
It appears there are 2 ferry rides involved, but the route according to Google Maps
is eventually through Skagway.
Using Map Directions on Google Maps, it offers 2 slightly different but interesting
routes from where I live in Niagara.
Since planning isn't our forte, I have no idea when, or which one we're likely to try,
but I'm leaning towards the one through the Michigan UP along US2.
We like that drive.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Has anyone driven the Stewart/Cassiar Hwy #37 in B.C recently (last summer)?
I understand it is paved except for section from Iskut to Deese Lake...
How was the construction & TRUCK traffic?
Anyone going THIS summer '12?
We hope to get at least to Skagway &/or Whitehorse during end of July or early Aug.
Driving our '02 RoadTrek (Chev.) 190. From Ariz.
Any thoughts, ideas or recommends are welcome... Thnx Ric
AZ ADVenturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:42 PM   #6
Gold Member

Ric;

Reposting website for Cassiar highway. I earlier posted it under visited states/provinces thread.

Ric; Ref your question on conditions on the Cassiar Hwy:
There's a website that provides the info you're looking for:

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/popular-topics/ ... /hwy37.htm

Les
LesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:45 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Les; thanks for the link for B.C. website. I'll check that & have search some others as well.
I understand the Highway is icy & snow packed Now. So we'll see what happens to conditions after Spring thaw. When we lived in Montana we never knew what summer conditions were to be until well into April/May. thnks, Ric.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:11 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Hey Les, thanks. I'm thinking it might be a bit challenging after reading about Hwy16/37 and the road conditions.
Might be better to tackle it with a 4X4 of some configuration. Still, great info on the roads and conditions.
Ric, check out the webcams on the "driveBC" site. It's definitely snowing up there.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Hey Mike; If you are going to the Yukon this winter, you probably should have 4wd.
But how about in the summer? We are planning to take our '02 RoadTrek/Chev. 190V.
I'm having some work done this winter & trying to figure out a mild suspension lift (ala - Booster & Photog). But not 4x4! I'll make sure all systems & components are good to go before we go Yukoning. And we will have a few shake-down runs this Spring & summer to New Mexico & Calif.
Thanks for all of your info. & input for our Canada Expedition.
Regards, Ric.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:40 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I meant 4X4 even in the summer! Did you see that road on the website?? Nasty!

I was thinking of getting Bilstein shocks installed on our next trip to the States. ('02 C10P)
Any ideas on who might be a good retailer and installer, in Arizona?
I've been to the Bilstein/ThyssenKrupp website and they don't sell directly to the public,
but you can order them online and have them shipped pretty much anywhere to have them
installed. I'm thinking maybe a Chev or GM dealer, but no idea when/where/by whom.
I could have it done in Canada, but it will be about 25%-30% more expensive, so I'll wait.
Most dealerships in Canada (I asked my local) would charge me at least 1 hour labor per shock,
so that's not working for me at $100/hour.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:25 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Mike; Yea - Bilsteins! I had them installed on my Toyota Tundra 2wd. They are great & got a little bit of lift w/adjustables. I'm working with the same shop in Prescott to do a lift & shocks on the R/T. No results yet, but I'll let you know the result. If you are coming to Ariz. for the winter, I'll introduce you to the best shop I've found.
So the jury is still out re. Hwy 37 in B.C. for summer trip... See my post under "Guns".
Ric.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:15 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Thanks. Will do. We like Grand Canyon SR, Page/Lake Powell, and the Flagstaff area.
We've been to Sedona, it's nice, if not a bit eclectic, but haven't been to Prescott, yet.

We watched Alaska State Troopers tonight, and now we're having doubts about the trip north.
It looks like it can be a strange little State at times, according to some of the TV shows about it.
But it sure is incredibly beautiful looking, too.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:16 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Good Morning Mike, If you like Flagstaff & kinda' like Sedona - you would enjoy Prescott area.
It's a little more Real than Sed. & not as cold as Flag. nor hot as Phoenix.
And to add to your collection of State Capitols - Prescott is the Original & 1st Ariz. Territorial Cap. This year (2012) is our 100th Anniv. of State Hood. So, lots of celebrations going on and for us, a good time to head North this summer. Viva, CANADA!
RE: Alaska, you are right it is strange - think Juneau, Sarah & Tod Palin, Sen. Ted Stevens etc, etc... But, to be fair All U.S. States that start with letter"A' are strange: Alabama, Alask., Ariz., & Arkansas!! We've done 'em all. So don't let the strangeness stop You.
BTW, I need to find your post on tires again. Did you go over size at all? I'm thinking 265/16, up from 245. Later, Ric.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:54 PM   #14
Platinum Member

We might have to take a look at Prescott one of these days. Sounds nice.
We find all sorts of little gems when we're down your way. In Texas, we've found Bastrop and Fredericksburg are both really nice little places to stop for a look see. We like Page, and Anthem, and of course the area around Grand Canyon, but not between May and September. Too crowded. And the McDonald's in Tusayan is a compete rip off, but it's the only game in town for a quick and easy meal, so what can you do?
Actually we sort of knew of Prescott, and actually met a lady at the Best Friends Animal Society in Kanab last October, who said she was from either Prescott or Prescott Valley(?). In casual conversation, we talked about where we were from, and where she was from, and she said it was nice there. She was driving an older Dodge PW I believe, and traveling with her Rottweiler. Nice lady.

I never did up size the tires on the van, I stayed with LT245/75R16 load range E Michelin AT/2 tires. They have a more aggressive and slightly deeper tread (the diameter was maybe 1/16" larger) than the comparable MS/2 models. I went with them because I do drive my van all year round, weather/road conditions permitting, and we do encounter snow and other surface issues. I thought the extra bite of the AT/2s would be an advantage in campgrounds and less than perfect road conditions, and so far they've been great, wearing well, and not noisy. The sidewalls may even be a little firmer, but I can't recall.
The benefit in gas mileage of going to a larger diameter tire was only around 2%-3% better in rotations per mile, so rather than deal with wheel well clearance issues, and braking considerations, and the rest, I stayed with the GM recommended size.
I got them on sale 3 years ago in San Angelo TX at Discount Tire, they totalled out to about $200/each, installed and balanced, and if you bought 4, there was another $70 manufacturers mail in rebate.
I though it was a good deal at the time, and they're still in great shape today after about 70,000 miles.
Discount Tire has each tires specs in detail on their website and you can compare things like tread depth, over all tire diameter and so on, before you decide on one type or another.
Here's some links to tire size discussions on here
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1258&hilit=larger+tires+wheels
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1733&hilit=larger+tires+fuel+ economy
Old 01-29-2012, 01:04 AM   #15
Platinum Member

This should probably be in a diff. thread, but I get lost jumping from one to another.
That said, I'm still overthinking the tire size vs. fuel economy vs. handling.

Mike wrote: "Since you asked, try this little beauty out when you have time.
http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp
It has a few disclaimers and warnings below the actual data areas, and one refers
to the potential for brake failure by "plus sizing" more than 3%. It also says it's not
absolute in accuracy. But it is cool!!!
After running some numbers, the only way to get any sort of meaningful increase in
gas mileage, would involve increasing the diameter to 18", which would put the gain
in the 6% range, which is double the acceptable amount of recommended modification.
It also gives data regarding speedometer variance, and tire revolutions per mile.
I'll guess the best I could do would be about 3% from an increase to a 17" rim/tire.
So I'd save about $30 in gas for every $1000 spent. Not sure if it's worth it."

And I think Brian or someone said it is all an exercise in Futility (waste of time.?)
But that's what I DO...
So, I'll wait on the tire/size - up sizing. But, I don't think improved economy is the reason to up-size tires &/or wheels (for me). I want more ground clearance! I'm having the R/T lifted about 2" with coils in front & blocks in rear. My mechanic can't/won't/doesn't want to do air bags, because of the generator & all the plumbing works in the way (in rear). We'll try the blocks - hope they work. Then if it handles o.k. & if I still want another 1.2" & it's cost effective & need new tires anyway I'll consider the 265/75-16s vs. 245.
Oh, yea, I don't think true MPG changes because of Odometer error created by fewer revolutions per mile with larger diameter (IMHO). Thnx all, Ric.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:31 AM   #16
Platinum Member

We have to get this thread back on the topic but I'm all for shopping for tires while on a trip.

I'm hoping to see quite a bit of Maine this year. Mike got a good deal on tires in the U.S. while on a trip. I checked Walmart and a GM dealer in Maine and got quoted the same price for tires as here in New Brunswick. Roughly $1,200 with taxes, installed, old ones disposed etc. This was for four Michelin LTX M/S2 tires. So if anyone can recommend a tire shop in Maine that can beat that by a couple of hundred dollars let me know.

Anyone been to the LL Bean flagship store in Maine? Do they have overnight parking?
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:35 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Marko wrote: "We have to get this thread back on the topic but I'm all for shopping for tires while on a trip.""
Agreed! So, I'm thinking that when we head north in July, perhaps I'll buy tires in Montana or Oregon. NO Sales Tax! Tax in Arizona is approx. 10%. That $90. or so will fill a RoadTrek gas tank maybe 1 1/2 times. And doesn't Connecticut or New Hampshire also have No Sales Tax? For you Canadians, eh? Ric.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #18
Bronze Member

Central Florida. Have already made a couple of short 1 and 2 night runs. One run was to Tarpon Springs and Ceder Key. Can not say much for Ceder Key but stayed almost downtown in Tarpon Springs and that was great. Spent one night in Sebastian, Fl at Pelican Landing - can not say enough good things about this MbH and Travel Park but there are no public restrooms. They did have a great boat house out over the Intracoastal. Bought take-out in town and ate at the Landing over the water - really nice. Spent this last weekend at Long Point Park - a Brevard County Park. Have to get reservations way ahead but it was only $25 and really nice. Public showers, swimming pond (yes you read that correctly), salt water fishing, 30/50 hook ups with a dump station. Quite and clean. Bb
burkettwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Davydd,

You mentioned a B rally in Missouri. Do you have specifics? We live in Mo and would consider attending a nearby rally.

Thanks,

Gordon
Old 02-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Gordon,

James & Helen Quinn in Missouri organized a B Social by finding a site and setting a date. After that, it is up to each to make arrangements per this notice. It is entirely informal. There is no set program or fees other than your campsite. Everything is pretty much impromptu. Usually there is an agreed potluck dinner and sometimes the group goes out to a restaurant together. Other than that it is a good chance to meet other Class B owners.

You can keep up with others who have attended past socials and get to know them at the BEE Social Group on Facebook. That site is here: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=76503857041

Quote:
Attention: B-Social Group
01-16-12
Regarding: Big Springs R.V. And Camp Ground

Hello Everyone,

We are getting excited about our upcoming event! It will be held at Big Springs R.V. Camp
Ground. It is located in Van Buren, Missouri. It is located off of Highway 60 East. You may
Map Quest directions and let us know if you need any additional directions. The phone number to
the R.V. Camp is 314-578-1619. Ask to speak with Kathy or John for more information. The
campground has 50 sites available and the rate is $25.00 per night. It has water, sewer hookups,
wireless internet, and cable TV.
The dates are scheduled for April 17 and 18th. There are availabilities prior to these days if you
would like to come sooner or stay longer.
Please feel free to contact us with any other questions or concerns at 417-778-7734 or e-mail us.

Thank You,

James and Helen Quinn
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote