Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2019, 01:06 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default best summer route to beat the heat

I'm looking for the map that shows all year round route that follows comfortable weather or even a summer route that beats the heat. I had it but can't seems to find it. Will be leaving in June and want to plan accordingly. Thinking of traveling north from Florida to the farthest northern states then make a left and head West, sound good or got anything to add? Thanx.
Eglo Stelaria Chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:37 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I'm leaving FLA next Tuesday, a beeline to MN. It would be a bit cooler to head up through the Appalachians and turn left in PA but you would still some flat ugly, hot(?) to deal with, more time and miles and a lot more traffic.

If you just do the I-75, I-24 thing you still get to go through Hotlanta and worse(for me), Nashville.

My plan is I-75 to I-10 to small roads and over night at an Army Corps park near Coffeeville, AL. They have hook ups to run the AC. I'm leaving on a Tuesday so reservations are not required. If for some reason it's not hot(doubtful), I'll just grab a Walmart. From there I'll wiggle my way north toward St. Louis and head up Highway 61 and one to where I'm going, which is north of St. Paul. I'll be looking for a boondock spot in MO, they have quite a few conservation areas and roadside parks to stay at for free, assuming the weather is not too hot/humid

A lot of what you want to do will be depending on local weather at the time you are going and how fast you want to get there. But do scope out for local town/county parks or Army Corps parks for reasonably priced overnight options if you need to plug in for A/C. Staying away from the interstate highways will help in this regard. I have a "geezer" card so the Corps spots are only $7-12, depending on the park, hook ups included(at least electric) and most have water and a dump station. A lot of Corps parks(and others) will need an advanced reservation if traveling on a weekend, especially on a holiday weekend. That's why I like to travel on week days.

Speaking of all this, time to check the weather on my route.

HTH.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:55 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Thank you, yes I will be hugging the Atlantic coast then hug the Canadian border states ending up in Idaho maybe even all the way to the Pacific. We will see. But a while back there was a comfortable weather routes on Google Maps made by someone I had book marked it but seems to have lost it now. Trying to find it again. geezer card...which one is that I have two. I'm a put putter I'm in no hurry to get no where.
Eglo Stelaria Chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 02:28 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eglo Stelaria Chrome View Post
Thank you, yes I will be hugging the Atlantic coast then hug the Canadian border states ending up in Idaho maybe even all the way to the Pacific. We will see. But a while back there was a comfortable weather routes on Google Maps made by someone I had book marked it but seems to have lost it now. Trying to find it again. geezer card...which one is that I have two. I'm a put putter I'm in no hurry to get no where.
If you really want a cool route, in more ways than one, head to Canada. and especially go over the top of Lake Superior.

Geezer card, aka Senior Pass:

Old 05-23-2019, 02:35 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Just for grins, the anticipated route to near Almelund MN.

https://goo.gl/maps/tsRAj81579ppdLNA6
Old 05-23-2019, 02:36 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Do a google search for "70 degree rv trip wizard" and "70 degree rv trip planner", and also substitute "road" for "rv". There are several resources available.

Happy travels, Dick
dicktill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 03:23 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
Just for grins, the anticipated route to near Almelund MN.

https://goo.gl/maps/tsRAj81579ppdLNA6

That is only about 50 miles from us. Bring some warm clothes and raincoat as we are having a very cool and wet spring here so far.

The run up the middle of the country is not very scenic, but not a lot of choice etiher. If you like scenic and slower, you may want to get off of 63 in Iowa and go east across the river to Wisconsin at around Lansing bridge (hwy 9) and then head north on Wisconsin 35 along the river. This will take you all the way to St Croix Falls Wisconsin mostly along the river. Lots of bald eagles and lookouts along the way most days. Where 35 comes out just east of St Croix Falls go west back across the river to Taylors Falls Mn go north on Mn 95 which will take you within a couple of miles of your destination on the map.

We often do that drive just for scenery, especially at leaf peep time. Perot State Park in Trempeleau Wi is one of our favorite hiking places, decent campground that you normally can get into without reservation if you go no electricity.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 04:04 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
That is only about 50 miles from us. Bring some warm clothes and raincoat as we are having a very cool and wet spring here so far.

The run up the middle of the country is not very scenic, but not a lot of choice etiher. If you like scenic and slower, you may want to get off of 63 in Iowa and go east across the river to Wisconsin at around Lansing bridge (hwy 9) and then head north on Wisconsin 35 along the river. This will take you all the way to St Croix Falls Wisconsin mostly along the river. Lots of bald eagles and lookouts along the way most days. Where 35 comes out just east of St Croix Falls go west back across the river to Taylors Falls Mn go north on Mn 95 which will take you within a couple of miles of your destination on the map.

We often do that drive just for scenery, especially at leaf peep time. Perot State Park in Trempeleau Wi is one of our favorite hiking places, decent campground that you normally can get into without reservation if you go no electricity.
That is a highly tentative route that has already changed. The first night will be at Pickensville Army Corps park near Columbus, MS. I'm also gonna deviate to something like you suggested but run IA 26 and MN 26 out of Lansing, IA. There is(was?) an awesome meat market in New Albin, IA, at the MN border that is a truly awesome experience. Their bacon and hams are things of wonder, smoked on site. Lots of other really good stuff. Dried(not jerky) roast beef is also truly wondrous. Then I'll just buzz up Hy 61 to MN 95 to Manning and some county roads through Chisago City to my bother's place.

I lived in Welch(near Redwing) for almost twenty years. I usta ride my motorcycle extensively in SW WI, SE MN, and NE IA. Very scenic area with not a lot of traffic. Yeehaw, vroom, vroom.

Second overnight looks to be at a MO conservation area north of Hannibal or maybe the boat launch in St. Francisville, MO. I've used the latter before.

The only big city areas I have to deal with will be St. Louis. I just gotta make sure to get through there before the pm rush hour And east metro in The Cities.
Old 05-31-2019, 01:15 PM   #9

Anywhere in south part of Canada is cool, less than 80°F mostly.
Trekker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 10:03 PM   #10
Platinum Member

This is a great topic and one that got me interested in trying to use a rv in the first place. When you do the google search for the 70F trip tools a lot reference the results of this (a met student at the time):

Brian B's Climate Blog: 70°F Road Trip

It would be interesting for him to re-run his models with the current climate change to see where the route would have us follow today.
MobileCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 10:31 PM   #11
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileCabin View Post
This is a great topic and one that got me interested in trying to use a rv in the first place. When you do the google search for the 70F trip tools a lot reference the results of this (a met student at the time):

Brian B's Climate Blog: 70°F Road Trip

It would be interesting for him to re-run his models with the current climate change to see where the route would have us follow today.
What you are initiating here is climate change which can be very political. I will say though to keep in mind Climate is not relevant as it is long term. This is about weather which is short term. Imagine the route was based on rainfall.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 10:55 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Climate and weather try to describe the same thing. But yes they are on different time scales with climate being the average over at least a 30 year period (https://nsidc.org/cryosphere/arctic-...s_weather.html). I believe that the data he used was from the daily normal high which is the smoothed average of a 30 year window for a site. So, his model was based on the climate normals for the US and Canada at the time he ran the model. I was just wondering what changes to the route would be like since he last ran his model.

On the general topic, I will follow the science to help determine the best route based on temperature prediction and the politics for the local driving laws.
MobileCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:00 PM   #13

If you are considering a coast to coast trip why not try Route 2, The Great Northern. This is outlined in the book, Road Trip USA. It will take you from Acadia National Park in Maine to Seattle, Washington. It crosses over the Canadian border for a long section. Looks interesting.
kjkccc is offline   Reply With Quote