Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2018, 07:06 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Blue ridge parkway,,,had a great time

Hi guys, just wanted to share with you all about one of our best trips yet. We first went to Washington D.C, then crossed over to start our journey on the Skyline drive, which then turns into the Blueridge parkway, and we ended our trip in the Great Smoky Mountain national park....This is the ultimate vacation in a class B , we boondocked everywhere and anywhere, there are plenty of campgrounds if you want, but we really enjoy the peace and quiet at night,,,,the people are super friendly, and the history of the area is incredible,,,,we were a just a little early for the fall colours, but we loved it. Proud of my 97 Roadtrek, took all the hills, and valleys , no problems at all, what a test for the brakes and the transmission, if you ever get a chance, you will truly love it....a trip of a lifetime,,,,,toots lots of pics,,,,hope you enjoy,,,,take care,,,,
peppster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 07:58 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppster66 View Post
we boondocked everywhere and anywhere, there are plenty of campgrounds if you want, but we really enjoy the peace and quiet at night,
Where did you boondock? We traveled the Blue Ridge in Sept and stayed in the National Park campgrounds for $10/night with senior pass.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 01:54 AM   #3
Platinum Member

we mostly boondocked at the trail head parking lots, most nights we were the only ones there, so quiet, and the stars were amazing,,,,
Old 12-15-2018, 03:29 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppster66 View Post
we mostly boondocked at the trail head parking lots, most nights we were the only ones there, so quiet, and the stars were amazing,,,,
I am surprised the Park Rangers did not wake you up and ask you to move on. But that's good to know you can possibly overnight at the trailheads.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:19 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
I am surprised the Park Rangers did not wake you up and ask you to move on. But that's good to know you can possibly overnight at the trailheads.
I'm surprised too. Is there something I don't know about free overnights at trailheads?
dvrdwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:58 PM   #6
Platinum Member

We really enjoy boondocking, so we are always looking out for a good site while we travel, at some of the trailheads , there is overnight parking for the folks who go out on overnight hiking trips, its easy to blend in there, there is litteraly nobody driving at night up on the parkway, so when we would find a spot, at one of the many trailheads, we would try and tuck in just enough so that nobody could really see by just driving along the main road. some of the trailheads had some very large parking areas, with some areas tucked in behind trees and hills, there were a few other boondockers out there, sometimes we would fall asleep with no neighbours, and wake up with one or two other class b rigs in the area,,,but out of the few weeks we were out, we never had even one knock on the door asking us to move along. I think the more you do it, the easier it gets, and you get a good feel on spots that will or not be ok,,, hope this helps,,,take care,,,,