Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
EJ2

Default Boondocking at Walmart in Goderich ON

Hi folks,
RV-ing is still new to me; however, I understand that it's possible to "boondock" for a short stay while in transit at various Walmart locations in Canada and the US. Does anyone know if it is permissible to park and stay overnight in the Walmart lot in Goderich, Ontario?

Thanks for any advice.
Cheers,
Jim
Old 08-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Boondocking at Walmart in Goderich ON

I use an app on my iPhone for finding Walmart parking. It says Walmart parking "possible" in Goderich. You do a few things in regard to Walmart parking. First you don't want to stop in the middle of the afternoon like you usually need to to find a campground site before they fill up. So you can drive late. Secondly, just browse the lot and if you see other RVs parked on the fringes then it is probably OK. Thirdly, just go inside Walmart and ask a manager. If overnight is permitted they will let you know and probably advise you as to where they would prefer you to stay in the lot. Lastly, be a good customer. That's their incentive to let you stay there.

We stopped at a Walmart in Brookings, SD the night before last. We arrived after sunset and there were no other RVs in the parking lot so we asked and was permitted. On our two month trip we also stayed in Walmart parking lots in Edmonton and Saskatoon. At the Edmonton Walmart there were over 20 RVs in the lot in our overnight stay. I suspect most were staging to go to Jasper NP because you have to arrive early in the park CG to get a spot.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
EJ2

Thanks for that Davydd. Good to know.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:48 AM   #4
Platinum Member

We stayed at WalMart lot in Fairbanks. AK last night. Was raining when we got there (all of Alaska is wet)! Did some shopping then pulled over to outside with all the other "Wally-Boondockers". In the morning there were at least 10 of us including another RoadTrek & a PleasureWay plus an oldie that looked semi-permanent. We had nice clean bathrooms (NO Showers?) Coffee & breakfast at the instore SubWay, more shopping, an oil change & tire rotation all in one stop. They got paid quite well for our FREE night camping in their lot. WalMart in Fairbanks - highly recommended!
AZ ADVenturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #5
Platinum Member

We use the same app that Davydd uses. The only difference is if we see that camping is "possible" we simply call the store and they will confirm or deny that position.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #6
Bronze Member

I use an app called ALL-STAYS for locating the Walmart's in Canada and the US. It's FREE. You can also purchase the same app ... ALL-STAYS Truck & Travel for $2.99 which includes Flying J, Pilot, Love, Home Depot, Lowe's, Service Centres, rest areas etc. etc. etc. I use both and they are great.

As previous posters have stated it is always best to pop into the store or call ahead and confirm you can stay. As I always remind people these are overnight stays and NOT campgrounds. Don't abuse the privilege extended to the RV traveller, by setting up a camp site with awnings extended, BBQ's setup, lawn chairs etc. It happens and as as result we are losing the privilege at several Walmart location throughout Canada and the US ... for a variety of reasons.

There is also another option as well. BOONDOCKERS WELCOME is a site where fellow members offer a FREE parking spot on their property for the passing RVers. I have joined this service and have used it several times now. They currently have about 600 locations around CANADA and the US.

http://www.boondockerswelcome.com

Happy travels

Karsty

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover
Karsty is offline   Reply With Quote