Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2014, 02:43 AM   #1
g1g
Platinum Member

Default bucketlist

I don't know how others build a bucket list but I look at it this way there are many things to do and see in this country and as you see I am from northern Ohio. If I am going to travel somewhere spending all that expense (gas is expensive) my vacation time to see or do something I want to see or do something that I can't do locally. As a general rule camping is camping it doesn't matter if it is in a woods in my back yard or across the country just like a beach is a beach, so why should I spend all that time and expense. Now if I go to someplace that Is different it changes the value. I want to see the mountains, buttes, hoodoos etc of the west along with anything that we do not have locally or at least closer. I like to attend oddball festivals that area little different than locally but would like to know other places. Example of things I like are different festivals ie... UFO in Roswell, duct tape in Avon, Mt Rushmore is only in one location just like the canyons like Grand,Bryce, Zion, Indian and cowboy exhibits are unknown in the east
Anyone have any ideas on something different or something that you cannot see or do every other place in the country?
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:13 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: bucketlist

Climb Mt. McKinley. Run the Iditarod trail by snowmachine. Eskimo blanket toss in Barrow. Catch 90 lb. King Salmon. Go visit HAARP with Jessie Ventura. Watch the sun never set for 4 months. Then wait 4 months to see it rise. Take a helicopter ride onto a glacier and toast it with a glass of champagne. Take a tour on the Time Bandit when she's anchored offshore. Go to Nome and pick nuggets off the beach. Hunt the largest of the deer family. Get mauled by the earths largest carnivore while you are cleaning the largest of the deer family. Move up here and be a movie star faster than you can in Hollywood. Travel 200 miles to the nearest big city to have dinner. Travel back home right after dinner. If you want more ideas let me know, I'm tired of typing with two fingers.
AK49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:39 PM   #3
Platinum Member

AK49er, We got a bit tired of Jesse Ventura in Minnesota and we build those snowmachines but they are called snowmobiles.

Speaking of bucket lists, I ran across this website last night.

25 reasons you need to road trip the American Southwest.

Stunning photos. I realized after scrolling through all 25 places, that in our 9 years of Class B touring, we had been to every single one of those places. We are almost, but not quite, in repeat mode now. Rather than places to see we need to concentrate on events more.

I'm never going to climb Mt. McKinley. I'll have to settle on a fixed wing airplane landing on a glacier about a third of the way up.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:53 PM   #4
Lou
Platinum Member

Mt St. Helens, Crater Lake and all of the other volcanoes in the west that are extinct, dormant or semi active on the westcoast Ring of Fire. They are gorgeous. You could even go north as far north as Haida Gwai (sometimes listed as Queen Charlotte Islands). The ferry trip from Prince Rupert is an experience.

The Oregon Coast highway has wonderful scenery, beautiful old bridges and good campgrounds.

If you ever go on the Alaska highway (which after awhile we found boring) do a circle route via highway 37 called the Stewart- Cassiar highway. It actually starts just southwest of Watson Lake and goes south to Kitwanga at highway 16. The scenery is breathtakingly beautiful. At highway 16 you can go east to Prince Rupert (Haida Gwai etc) or west towards Prince George then home through the Rockies (Jasper, Banff etc).

Many RVers do circle routes that include ferries. Examples Anacortes to Victoria (on Vancouver Island), Victoria or Nanaimo to Vancouver. Northern Vancouver Island to Prince Rupert. I think also Bellingham to Alaska?

I am sitting here dreaming of which of these place I am going to visit again instead of watering my garden! Hope you find some ideas.
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:59 PM   #5
Lou
Platinum Member

Correction
Mistake re highway 37 should have said at highway 16 intersection you can go WEST to Prince Rupert or EAST to Prince George (too much daydreaming).
Also here is a BC government highways website with photos (and map etc) of Cassiar highway (37)
http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/popular-topics/ ... /hwy37.htm
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:34 PM   #6
Platinum Member

On our way up to Alaska we went through Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper and also cut down to Skagway and ferried over to Haines before rejoining the Alaska Highway. On our way back we went via Chicken, AK, On Top of the World Highway to Dawson City and back down to White Horse. Then we did tak the Cassiar Highway down with side trips to Prince Rupert and Hyder, AL to see the bears in the Tongas National Forest.

I don't know if I would call the Alaska Highway boring. It is not as arduous as lore makes it out to be as it is pretty much paved and the Milepost book made it interesting and not to miss anything. Meeting up with other Class B tourers at the Mile 0 campground in Dawson Creek and subsequently seeing some of the same travelers each night was kind of like a Grapes of Wrath John Steinbeck travel adventure.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:14 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Our most memorable experiences were usually part of the journey, not the destination. So, we like to choose a route and then be flexible. I have a map of the 400+ national park sites that I use for plotting trips...its slowly getting filled in with pins showing the sites I've visited. But, the small towns, surrounding natural areas and other things we've discovered along the way are usually the highlights of the trip.
Belzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 02:47 AM   #8
Platinum Member

I'm a little bit late in this discussion, but have (at least) one more thing to add.

I've seen a few places both in the US, Canada and Mexico, but two still stand out to this day.

The first is Bonaventure Island in the Gaspe, Quebec, Canada. Out of the way, but a great trip to the island when the birds were breeding. Thousands of gannets and no room to walk.

The second is in the Southwest. Cedar Mesa in Southwestern Utah. Many spots to go to, like Butler Wash or Arch Canyon. The best probably being the Grand Gulch. Lots of Indian (or Puebloan or Native American) ruins with pictographs en petroglyphs on the canyon walls, lots of one or two story remains of the buildings these people lived in, some of which are still in a remarkably good condition. Some areas are difficult to reach, other are along the roadside.

Van Williams

CargoVanConversion.com
cargovanconversion is offline   Reply With Quote