Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2008, 10:04 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Just returned from a week-long road trip that I wasn't too enthusiastic about in the 1st place - 'cause the threat of snow along the route that I wanted to take kept us from doing so.

Settled for I-40 from Amarillo to Williams to Sedona to Show Low and back home on I-10.

With a 15º f overnight temp in Williams I've gotta say that I'm really disappointed in the heating system in the Roadtrek (05/06 190V).

The heat-pump worked great until the temp got near freezing - then used the furnace and there-in lies my complaint - it's either really really hot (when it's running) or really really cold (when it's not running). And, it doesn't heat the area forward of the john at all.

If I do anymore cold weather camping I'll consider using a couple of the ceramic 110v heaters and forget about using the furnace !

Gotta say too that I'm starting to look into something a little bigger than the Roadtrek - I'm finding that with 2 adults and 2 smallish dogs we're always bumping into one another..

Perhaps I got spoiled after riding the Durango/Silverton/Durango narrow gage train in August but I found the Williams/Grand Canyon train to be visually boring. The R/R tries to make up for the lack of scenery by having a strolling guitar/harmonica/singer meander thru the cars and then on the way back there's a "train robbery" (total nonsense, as it amounts to a few masked fellows (in my opinion) "intimidating" folks into "tipping" them - I'm going to write the R/R and express my displeasure with that "act" !).

I am really happy with the folks at the Grants KOA - very friendly people who can't do enough for their guests. I use the Amarillo KOA quite often and have always had a quiet, restful stay there too.

The GCRR RV Park is another of my favorites - good folks there, clean facilities and this trip we used their Kennel facility (for our 2 doggies the day that we took the train).
Whiskyecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:06 PM   #22

Default Re: Hmmmmm - where to go in October..

Yeah it can get cold at night in Williams, also gotta make sure the locks on your vehicle work well. The locals are a little.... strange!
Old 12-10-2010, 01:08 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: Hmmmmm - where to go in October..

Could say the same about Flagstaff. Cold, I mean.
Last March we were there and woke up to about 4 inches of snow on the van and ground,
that wasn't there when we went to sleep. Last month we stayed there, no snow, but pretty
cold as expected in November.
However, I think the furnace/heat pump combo are adequate when cold weather camping.