Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2020, 01:43 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Indiana to California in November

Hello all, I'm planning a road trip from Indiana to California in mid November. I know I have a couple of choices in either the northern or southern routes. I'll be driving a 2007 Pleasure Way Lexor TS.

When i put in my destination in the Good Sam trip planner, and choose RV as the type of vehicle, it only shows the northern route, but bypasses Colorado and goes up and into Wyoming, then down through Utah into Nevada.

Has anyone used that route, and by doing that does it go around a lot of the mountain areas? Just curious if that would be the best option? From what I understand I could potentially hit snow on either the northern or southern routes. Also, on the northern route through Colorado, is there a lot of steep downhill braking and white knuckle driving? LOL

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.
IWUGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 03:54 PM   #2
Platinum Member

What I do in cases like this is wait to select the route untill very close to departure time. That way you can stay out of winter weather.

I've taken the Wyoming route. It's very drivable in good weather, with gentle grades and no 'real' mountains. The weather on the Wyoming route would be very unpredictable though. You can easily have a blizzard in November, and predictions for that might only be a few days out.

I'd plan on staying south. The weather will be better, and if the weather turns bad you'll have more notice.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:24 PM   #3
Platinum Member

essentially you are following old Route 66

just drive the interstate replacements and you'll be there

from St louis take I-44

it'll take you southwest and eventually you'll hit I-40 and you can sing the song and know the towns

"oklahoma city looks oh so pretty..."

this is for Southern Ca- . rt 66 ended at Santa Monica pier

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 04:44 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Where do you plan on stopping in Calif.? This will make a lot of difference in routes you take. I lived in Modesto, CA for 16 years and always took the I40 route to Mississippi during Christmas time and highway was always open.

MLogan
Smyrna, TN
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 04:50 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Thanks for the help, guys! I think I shall stay south!
Old 10-22-2020, 04:51 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mloganusda View Post
Where do you plan on stopping in Calif.? This will make a lot of difference in routes you take. I lived in Modesto, CA for 16 years and always took the I40 route to Mississippi during Christmas time and highway was always open.

MLogan
Smyrna, TN
I'll be going to Yorba Linda to stay with my son and family for a week.
Old 10-23-2020, 02:58 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Yorba Linda, so I-44 & I-40
Occasionally I-40 can be closed for a 200 mile stretch in Northern AZ ( Flagstaff is 8000 feet)

Bobby Troupe:

If you ever plan to motor west
Travel my way, take the highway, that's the best
Get your kicks on route 66
It winds from Chicago to L.A.
More than 2000 miles all the way
Now you go through
Saint Louis,
Joplin, Missouri
And Oklahoma City Looks oh so pretty
You'll see
Amarillo
Gallup, New Mexico
Flagstaff, Arizona
Don't forget Winona
Kingman,
Barstow
San Bernardino
Won't you get hip
To this timely tip
When you make that California trip

If you want to drive a nice piece of Rt 66 get off I-40 at Seligman AZ & you can travel one of the longer & remote stretches to Kingman- I do this often on my antique motorcycle as there is little traffic
Old 10-23-2020, 01:23 PM   #8
Platinum Member

A few years back I help the son move from Northern Indiana to Pasadena California. We took the northern route in a U-Haul box truck pulling his car on a trailer.

My more more experienced traveled daughter chastised us and told the southern route would have been better. As I recall her point was no mountain passes to be concerned about.
Want a B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 01:23 PM   #9
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
If you want to drive a nice piece of Rt 66 get off I-40 at Seligman AZ & you can travel one of the longer & remote stretches to Kingman- I do this often on my antique motorcycle as there is little traffic
That sounds great! We want to take our time and do things like this.
Old 10-23-2020, 02:10 PM   #10
Platinum Member

if you feel like being a tourist- you could drive up to the grand canyon

BUT from Williams AZ you can take the train- it is a day trip and AAA discounts are available- alot of fun. williams has rv park and plenty hotels/lodges

when we have family/friends with kids visiting this is a must-do

it's at elevation so will be cold

here's more:

https://www.roadtripusa.com/route-66/arizona/
Old 10-26-2020, 02:26 PM   #11
Bronze Member

Thanks! Maybe I don't really need to see my kids. I can spend all of the time on excursions LOL. Just kidding, I love my kids.
Old 10-26-2020, 05:55 PM   #12
Platinum Member

if anyone is a railway buff, this has some cool info about Northern AZ line which runs along I-40 and RT66

https://www.roguecolumnist.com/rogue...a-fe.html#more
Old 10-29-2020, 04:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWUGrad View Post
Hello all, I'm planning a road trip from Indiana to California in mid November. I know I have a couple of choices in either the northern or southern routes. I'll be driving a 2007 Pleasure Way Lexor TS.

When i put in my destination in the Good Sam trip planner, and choose RV as the type of vehicle, it only shows the northern route, but bypasses Colorado and goes up and into Wyoming, then down through Utah into Nevada.

Has anyone used that route, and by doing that does it go around a lot of the mountain areas? Just curious if that would be the best option? From what I understand I could potentially hit snow on either the northern or southern routes. Also, on the northern route through Colorado, is there a lot of steep downhill braking and white knuckle driving? LOL

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.
There are less big hills with the Northern Route through Wyoming than travelling through Denver then up and over the Rockies. How ever you need to watch the weather with both routes but maybe more so with the more northern.
CalCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 04:36 PM   #14

We've done the northern route through Wyoming multiple times in November due to where we're going in California (north of San Francisco) and have experienced high winds and ice and snow multiple times, especially from Cheyenne to Laramie. But if you hit the weather right it's okay. We couldn't adjust our timing so it was what it was but if your timing is flexible find that good weather window. Best wishes on the trip!
mgeist89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 05:14 PM   #15

Hello,
I live in the Sierras and know that November weather can be very unpredictable and potentially unsafe if not in a 4WD. As if everyone else’s advice was not enough, STAY SOUTH �� Even if your destination is NorCal, whether driving up the valley or coast, you won’t run into anything as bad as trying to drive through WY in a blizzard. Safe Travels and enjoy your November sunshine!
Carol
CarolMerrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 06:00 PM   #16
Silver Member

We have driven the I 70 many times and yes, its not an easy drive. Lots of road work, steep climbs etc. Colorado has already gotten their first snow fall.We live in Southern California and our weather is usually nice maybe a rainy day here & there. We camp mostly at the California State Parks however I can tell you with living near a few of them, they are pretty much booked. Have you looked into Harvest Hosts? We just joined and there are quite a few in our different wine regions here. We have booked one for the end of November and just calling them I was impressed with their positivity and kindness. All the best on your adventure!
pacificstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 06:08 PM   #17
Bronze Member

I have been taking the i-40 through Oklahoma in late November for the last six years. Never checked weather forecasts, but I am a good driver and my ProMaster handles well in winter. In a heavier loaded vehicle, I would be checking the weather and making sure not to get into a snow storm.

The worst section is between Flagstaff and Kingman. Stay in a hotel for a day or two, if you have to, until the snow stops and they start plowing the roads. Then, watch your Google Maps traffic for congestions and road closures. They often close the i-40 on that stretch. You may be able to take a detour through Phoenix.
MotoVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 06:19 PM   #18
Platinum Member

I've taken both routes from Chicago to So California. Shorter is northern, but far more mountainous and definitely colder. Do a search on routes to avoid mountains. I found one, but didn't use it. I suspect slower, but may be a nicer ride since you are concerned with mountain driving. Taking the northern route may require mandatory tire chains. Just an FYI
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 06:43 PM   #19

Default Stay South! As a Colorado native and having traveled all of those routes in the past.

UOTE=IWUGrad;119713]Hello all, I'm planning a road trip from Indiana to California in mid November. I know I have a couple of choices in either the northern or southern routes. I'll be driving a 2007 Pleasure Way Lexor TS.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.[/QUOTE]
Neil Worley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 06:45 PM   #20

Absolutely, Colorado is very hilly no matter what route you take. Going north will further take you into snow. We drove from Northern California to Florida 3 weeks ago. We took Highway 50 all the way Kansas and then 20 and 10 I believe. I would try to avoid snow and hills at this time of the year. We drive a Pleasure Way Tofino and spent 10 nights in State Parks and some very isolated RV places in Arkansas and Colorado. I thought we could avoid hills in Colorado driving 50 through it. How mistaken I was! There were at least 6 up and downs, the highest being more than 11,000 feet. But, I-70 is worse and lots of truck traffic.
vehbi is offline   Reply With Quote