Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default New Orleans AREA

Thinking of the New Orleans AREA late March/early April. I emphasize area because we might, and that's a pretty big might, take some time to see the French Market or whatever it's called. As much as I love the Blues I must refrain from the smokey clubs/bars. (Wife is severe Asthmatic and I'm not too far from that). Neither of us are big on Cajun/spicy food and my stint in Southeast Asia left a large distain for rice. So now that the ground rules are set. What's there to do? Would like to see Grand Isle SP, St Bernard SP, Fountainebleau SP, Fairview Riverside SP, and maybe even Tickfaw SP. Must buy some fresh seafood to grill and love to cook other things in our dutch oven.
Our plan to date, with no reservations, is to leave St Louis going through Clarksdale, MS for a lunch and some Blues and a night at or near Lake Chicot State Park, AR. Then on our way through Vicksburg to Natchez SP, taking in as much as we can along the way. Baton Rouge ought to have something beside LSU Football. Slidell Elks Lodge is a must. Then work our way north to complete our two week tour. Don't know if we should see the SPs north of Lake Pontchartrain then slide south to Grand Isle and the southern parks and then scoot east under NO and then north. Or if Grand Isle is even worth seeing.
Guess your question is is Cajun/spicy food is out, Why New Orleans? Warmth! Camping bug has hit very hard this year.
Oh seasoned travelers, give me some guidance!
Old 12-25-2013, 10:47 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: New Orleans AREA

Don't know much about the NOLA area State parks, but since you'll be in the area, why not take a lazy drive east on Hwy (US?) 90 along the beach, until you get to Gulfport, MS, to see the Hurricane Katrina tree carvings? We saw some of them 5 years ago when we were down there, and they're quite interesting and very well done. Apparently, the artist has completed them now, and there's one as far east as Fairhope, AL.
Some info.
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/28321
Old 12-27-2013, 12:38 AM   #3
g1g
Platinum Member

We were at Marti Gras a couple years ago. Unfortunately we didn't have the time to look around so I can't comment on that. What I will say is on the Cajun food. The Jambalaya and Etufee were some of the best food I ever had and I don't like spicy food. I have has these dishes around home and found that local places serve this they are about 5 to 6 times hotter than anything I had n the NOLO area.
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I've found that the NOLA area tends to be more "touristy" unless you go to one of those places that only the natives know that is hidden behind a back door in an alleyway. So, I can understand why the food in the Garden District is less spicy and more mainstream than in say Slidell.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:56 PM   #5

We went to New Orleans in March last year. It rained everyday. We camped at Bayou Signet State Park. The facilities were quite good.
You don't need to go to Bourbon Street to experience New Orleans. We parked our Ranger Rt in the public parking behind the French Market and enjoyed Cajun Cooking Voodoo Museums Jazz by street musicians and every thing New Orleans had to offer.
We also spent an entire day at Mardi Gras World. It is definitely worth your time to see it.
We do plan to go back again someday. Hopefully when it is not raining.
hornetv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:16 PM   #6
Platinum Member

We stayed at Grand Isle State Park twice now. Most recently last April. It is a nice park and a great birding park. Its beach is still probably the most damaged by the oil spill as there was clean up still going on there last April. To get to it you have to cross a brand new 7 mile long causeway and then it is at the end of an island spit.

Most of the state parks in Louisiana are nice and well maintained. All the ones we stayed in had free wifi. Our favorite was Palmetto Island SP. It is a fairly new park about 9 miles south of Abbeville in the heart of Cajun country. The campsites are very nice. In Abbeville I would recommend Shuck's for Cajun dining.

In New Orleans it is the French Quarter. There is a campground right near the Quarter but we didn't stay there. We stayed in another private campground on Lake Pontchartrain right in New Orleans. It provided a free shuttle to and from the French Quarter and we took advantage of it.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:23 PM   #7
Platinum Member

+1 -- save Bourbon Street for the drunken college students. There is a lot of the Garden District well away from that part of town.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:13 PM   #8
Platinum Member

How can you not like Bourbon Street?

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:27 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Do you still have that costume, or was it a rental?