Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2022, 02:35 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Texas state parks range from about $20 to $28 for a campsite plus a $5 per person fee all free to get in with a campsite for the $70 yearly fee. So you can save with just three overnight stops. Minnesota, I know, has a similar annual fee, and probably other states but Texas is the only state so big that you probably can make it pay if just traveling to and from across it. I assume the author of this thread going to and from California to Florida and back will be crossing Texas. Not South Carolina.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 04:50 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
That is an interesting goal, but please don't try staying in places you shouldn't be staying and help cause more local rules against RV parking. Get permission where needed, use state and local free area like BLM and forest service areas, retailers that are OK with it (check with store manager), some rest stops, etc. Not our style of travel, but quite a few others do rarely pay to stop for the night.
Getting ready to take a trip from Cleveland, OH to Soda Springs Idaho. Leaving this Friday. We will see how well my "Not Paying" philosphy holds up....
Old 08-17-2022, 07:58 PM   #23
Platinum Member

I find not using the black tank except in emergencies is the better way to go. Gray water can be dealt with without causing problems.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 10:08 AM   #24
Platinum Member

Any info on the Pine Bluffs rest area in Wyoming?
Old 08-18-2022, 10:56 AM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtFranz View Post
Any info on the Pine Bluffs rest area in Wyoming?
https://www.campendium.com/pine-bluffs-rest-area

Looks to be a possibility.

I was on a 2.5 month trip from FL to MN to CO then back to FL. Total camping fees were -0-. Driveway, dry, and boondock camping.

Dumping and refilling tanks not an issue, also free except for two locations that requested a donation. Our current Safari Trek is good for 3+ weeks traveling solo, however.

Locations: Dump and filled at a brother's place in MN, city park in Walden, CO(donation), dumped at Maverick station in Montrose, CO, filled at a city park in Gunnison, CO, dumped and filled at a city park in Del Norte, CO(donation), final dump at Mobil station near Madison, FL. All free except for the donations noted.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 10:14 PM   #26
Bronze Member

We follow about the same plan. Took a while to learn the tricks. Trick 1: Wallydocking.
2. Truck Stops (be polite don't take up a 18 Wheelers only spot) 3. Go to church Sat night for Sunday morning service. 4. Highway rest stops---DO NOT CAMP --just rest because you road weary. Remember your too tired to drive any longer tonight and need a rest --even your GPS said to stop and rest. Sir Officer.

Oh find BLM land, Cracker Barrel and many others will let you park if you eat or buy something.
Water ---buy a 5 gal jug at Walmart. THen stop and repeat customer them!!
Dumping --depends on your system. If yo can pump up two feet --sneak up to a Porta John in a Trail Head, construction site.
JPMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 11:55 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Free camping is nice, but I am not going to drive an hour out of my way to save a few bucks. Especially the places where you can't make reservations and get there and it is full! Laundromats in camp grounds are usually 250 times better than laundries in town.

I find Passport America works for me, if used 2 times I have my money back.
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 01:28 PM   #28
Platinum Member

In going down to Texas last month we took four stops to get to South Padre Island from Minnesota. Two of those stops were with RV friends in Kansas and Texas (moochdocking in the driveways), a Harvest Host winery (didn't buy anything) and my brother's new home in Rockport, TX (driveway again but wasn't necessary as we could have gotten to our destination.) On the way back we hit a succession of four state parks from SPI to Palo Duro Canyon near Amarillo. After that we made it back in two days and opted to stay in a hotel overnight since I had a bead on a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich in Emporia, Kansas and it was convenient being in walking distance and it was shockingly cold outside after a month in Texas...and why not treat yourself once in a while with a plush king size bed and a long hot shower? We can afford it.

I now have two states where we stay in state parks with an annual fee of
$70 Texas which we traveled for a month in February and $60 extra per year for our van license plate in Minnesota that gets us in to state parks and camping for free.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Mies License Plate 1B34 (2).jpeg (365.8 KB, 3 views)
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 02:58 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrbus View Post
Free camping is nice, but I am not going to drive an hour out of my way to save a few bucks. Especially the places where you can't make reservations and get there and it is full! Laundromats in camp grounds are usually 250 times better than laundries in town.

I find Passport America works for me, if used 2 times I have my money back.
I am missing something here....