Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2020, 12:08 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Overnight parking on I-90, NY Thruway

Hoping to take a road trip this summer. After driving from Delaware to Maine, we’d like to visit some areas in western NY. Does anyone know if you can overnight in the rest areas on I-90? There’s some conflicting info on some sites.
Raxel7851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 12:27 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raxel7851 View Post
Hoping to take a road trip this summer. After driving from Delaware to Maine, we’d like to visit some areas in western NY. Does anyone know if you can overnight in the rest areas on I-90? There’s some conflicting info on some sites.
Welcome to the forum Raxel!

Sorry, I do not have the information you seek.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 12:47 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Download the RVParky app. It can be configured for specific features, such as rest areas, Walmart, Cabelas, truck stop, etc. Of course you can search for campgrounds. People leave reviews on the "quality" of the free overnight parking.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 12:58 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I do use the Allstays app. It’s very helpful and easy to use.
Old 05-04-2020, 01:02 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Be aware, also, that in these times, any and all of the rules could have changed or be changed at any time. If you are looking at state run wayside rests, probably best to check on the state DOT website for the most current information.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 04:08 PM   #6
Platinum Member

If you're planning on traveling through NH and staying at a campground, be aware that they are only open to NH residents. Of course, this could change in the future. We are concerned that we'll have the typical inrush of tourists from highly contagious states. Our summer population can quadruple and impact our sparsely filled grocery stores and hospitals.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:26 PM   #7
Bronze Member

Thanks for the update Rock. I understand why that is. We have the same issue here in Delaware. Too many out of state people coming to the beach areas. Like you, we’re a no sales tax state, so they clean out our stores.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:57 PM   #8
Silver Member

I have stayed at Rest Areas on both 90 and 87 in upstate NY. Unless something has changed you should have no problem at all.
Old 05-05-2020, 02:12 AM   #9
Platinum Member

The New York Thruway is a little bit vague.

https://www.thruway.ny.gov/oursystem/overview.html

The rest areas and service centers are open 24 hours. This is what they say...

Rest Areas/Park and Ride Lots

There are conveniently located parking areas along the Thruway System where travelers are invited to stop and rest during their trips. There are emergency call boxes at these rest areas that connect directly to the Thruway Statewide Operations Center, located in the Thruway Headquarters Building.

The Thruway Authority does offer several commuter Park and Ride lots across the System. Parking at these commuter lots is posted for a maximum stay of 16 hours, and are not designated for multiple day stays. There are no overnight or long-term parking facilities on the System.

It seems to me you can stop at a service plaza to rest and they are open 24 hours to use those facilities but there are no special overnight accommodations (facilities) where you park. I assume that's a no designated parking area. You won't leave your RV unattended for very long and they say parking can be up to 16 hours which I assume is for commuters who do leave their vehicles unattended. "Stop and rest" is vague but that could mean 8 hours overnight sleeping I would think. I got to this page and stopped looking. I doubt there is specific language about parking RVs overnight.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote