Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2021, 04:52 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Phoenix to Yellowstone Route?

My wife and I left San Antonio for Phoenix to visit family. Our next stop is Bridge Bay Campground in Yellowstone. Our son indicates taking I-15 mostly is desolate. He recommends heading through Jackson, Wyoming and coming into the park that way. Any recommendations on a more easterly approach out of Phoenix and assuming 3 travel days, perhaps overnight locations?
theHueg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 06:05 PM   #2
Platinum Member

According to Google Maps: (Phoenix to Yellowstone)

Hwy 89N to I-15 is 1,028 miles; 15hrs. 40 mins.

Takes you by Bryce Canyon, but yeah, I-15 leaves little to see.

Hwy 89N to 160 to 191 to I-15 is 1,068 miles; 16hrs. 36 mins

Takes you by Monument Valley, Goosnecks SP (on San Juan River - spectacular views but boondock only), Moab, Canyon Lands, and Arches.

Hwy 60E to 191 is 1,158 miles; 20hrs. 9 mins.

Takes you by Monument Valley, Goosnecks SP (on San Juan River - spectacular views but boondock only), Moab, Canyon Lands, and Arches.
Plus you'll have a much more scenic (hills and turns) for better views and pass through Jackson WY on your way into Southern Yellowstone.

As you can see, when you stay off main roads the time increases to a much greater degree than miles. The benefit is more so see. The problem is you only have 3 days.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 07:00 PM   #3
Platinum Member

we just did this

Phoenix to Flag on I17, East on 40 a few miles to 89n to Page/ Lake Powell

( this route is 10º cooler than going through Vegas)

check for cheaper gas around Flagstaff using gas buddy or you can fuel up past Page at Big Water

continue North on 89 and make your way past panguitch and you can cross over to I-15 on rt20
( or you can cross over later using I-70)

salt lake city has 4 or 5 costco's right at I15 for gas- spanish fork is particularly easy on and off

we have stopped overnight in Idaho at Devil Creek Reservoir exit 22- it is a FULL drive from phx- we trade off.
It's ok for an overnight stop, about $35 I don't think there are showers.
CG mostly used by people fishing who park seasonally

then up I-15 to RT 30 through Lava Hot Springs ( stop and soak, good KOA)

to 89N ( again) to 191 into Jackson/ Tetons and Yellowstone

it's all good road, mostly 2 lane which I prefer

when we do this we are racing North to get out of the heat and our stops are based on gas, we have a range of about 430 miles

gas stops:

Phoenix
Big Water
SLC area costco
McCammon ID( I-15 exit to rt30)

then we fueled next in Bozeman MT after we were done with the parks and headed for kalispell and onwards

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 07:09 PM   #4
Platinum Member

rowiebowie's observations are on target. We've lived in Phx for 40+ years and have gone to Yellowstone numerous times. Fastest route is to take 89 and head toward YStone on the 15. Not exciting but doable. I hate going through Salt Lake City. I can't remember where Bay Bridge is in the park and which entrance it is close to. We've gone multiple routes, some that RB describes. You can't escape desolate drives in the SW.

If you go the fast 15 route, you might see about Cedar Breaks National Monument for camping. It's less than 1/2 way but the first leg is slow and the 2nd leg is fast given that you're on the 15. Advantage is that CBNM is at a higher elevation and cooler at night. We slept there in August several years back going up to Glacier and didn't need AC.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 05:50 PM   #5

If you have never been to the North Rim of The Grand Canyon this would be a great first night stop with plenty of off grid camping.
TooMuchHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 09:52 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchHair View Post
If you have never been to the North Rim of The Grand Canyon this would be a great first night stop with plenty of off grid camping.

Do have any specific suggestions?
thanks Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote