Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2012, 04:06 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Reading Robert Service in Yukon

We are camped next to the Yukon River between Dawson City & Whitehorse. Spent last night at Dawson City after driving all day from Tok, AK on the "Top of the World/Taylor Hwy". Shook the van up pretty well, but nothing broke & no flats thanks to Michelin. Visited the Robert Service Cabin & the Jack London Museum in Dawson. Very cool & chilly! Plan to spend a couple days in Whitehorse - lots to do & see. Then will hit the Alaska HiWay again. This a beatiful time of year to visit the Great White North. Leaves are changing color & some fresh snow in mountains. Although we've had lots of rain too. Haven't seen nearly enough wild life, but not many tourists either.
If you are planning a trip to the North in a Class B - be warned - the roads & high ways up here are Very rough in a short wheelbase vehicle as is our 190V. Probably be better in a Sprinter or Class C or A... We have seen larger vehicles traveling much faster than us. But we enjoy the beautiful scenery that way. As they say in Costa Rica - 'PURA VIDA' - The Pure Life applies here too. Ric.
AZ ADVenturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:53 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Reading Robert Service in Yukon

We made the same trip and stops last month and camped on Lake Laberge west of Whitehorse, the lake that inspired the poem, The Cremation of Sam McGee. Stop at the Yukon Brewery in Whitehorse. They brew and sell can beer and each can has a Robert Service poem on it. Yukon Red Amber was my favorite. We bought a limited issue print, "Moonlight Encounter" by Yukon artist, Nathalie Parenteau in Dawson City, and later learned her similar artwork graced the can and bottle of their Yukon Red. So not only are the cans graced with Robert Service poems but original artwork by different local artists.

We drove 10,500 miles total on our Alaska trip up the Alaska Highway and back down the Cassiar Highway on original Continental tires on our Sprinter WITHOUT a spare tire. Boy were we daring. The tires, btw, are pretty much shot after just 35,000 miles. I'm going to replace them with Michelins.

At the Lake Laberge government campground this German RV came rumbling in and camped next to us. They had no spare tire problem or fear of potholes.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:08 AM   #3
Platinum Member

We returned State side yesterday. LOVE Canada & the North. But still glad to be back in the USSA.
We have enjoyed all of our grand tour - over 6500 miles so far (Seattle - again). Especially liked Whitehorse, Yukon and rode the narrow gauge to Skagway - Highly recommend that...
I believe we may have seen the German Expedition-Overlander (Mercedes I think) in northern B.C on our way up. I always get excited when I see an "Overlander" on the road. My dream is an "EarthRoamer" vehicle.
I strongly endorse the Michelin tires - lots of pot holes & abuse with no failure.
We did however carry Two spares - just in case & to divert my paranoia.
AZ ADVenturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
Platinum Member

That's the type of adventure trip you'll remember forever.
Thanks for the updates.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote