Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2011, 12:15 AM   #1

Default Seattle to Denver in 5,5 weeks ->suggestions!

Hi,

We’re from Europe and visiting USA and are planning a road trip from Seattle (RV pick up) to Denver (return RV). We’ve got 5 1/2 weeks. Starting +/- 10 September
We’re traveling with a toddler (1,5 year) so we would like to limit travel time per day to 3/4 hours.

Do you have any suggestions if we should alternate the route (see below) or spend more... or less time in a NP?
Right now I have figured out a nice route that link several NP’s.(the day’s include driving time) Is this feasible or a race against the clock?

Seattle (visit vancouver?) 2 Days
Olympic np /Mt Rainer np 5 Days (skip Olympic? or visit Mt Rainer NP, 2 days?)
Glacier np 4 Days
Yellowstone 5 Days
Grand teton 4 Days
Mt Rushm./devils twr 3 Days
Rocky mountain np 2 Days
Denver 1 Day
We hope to hear from you!
Old 03-20-2011, 02:50 AM   #2
g1g
Platinum Member

Default Re: Seattle to Denver in 5,5 weeks ->suggestions!

Hi Orbitty, I wish I could take the time you are doing but between my jobs I can't take off. But I am planning on when I can. I don't know what you like to do but personally I like to see as much as I can. I found many parks have their own uniqueness, after that they tend get to be the same. At that point is when I would move on. One thing I might mention is during your time listed as Devil's Tower/ Mt Rushmore there are more things to see The Badlands, Sioux City and Crazy Horse Memorial, also the town of Deadwood sounds interesting to me all in the same general area. If you would make it to southern Utah, Zion Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Arches N.P. and Monument Vally may be of interest.
Some people may differ from my way of doing things but frankly if I want to camp out all I have to do is go in my back yard. Since you are coming from Denmark I am sure you will want to see what you can.
I suggest you look under each states tourism websites for a start to see all that is out there. Ask around on the forum what other places others may reccomend but first, list things you like. Once you get here stop in each states travel plaza and check out the different brochures showing different places. You are the only one who can say if it is something that would be of interest. You may find the same brochures at various campgrounds, restaurants etc.
Hope I have suggested something good and useful for you. If more info is posted I may jump in with more things like in the sane area I hear there are hot mineral springs. I will be checking a few out just to do it.
Have a great and safe trip and enjoy!
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #3
Platinum Member

You will love Yellowstone.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:05 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Orbitty,

You are starting out the first weekend after our September 5th Labor Day holiday. Labor Day marks the end of our summer season with kids returning to school. That's the good part as crowds drop down dramatically in our national parks. Our preference is to travel after Labor Day. I suspect that must be promoted in the Netherlands because Cruise America Class Cs practically dominate the parks and I hear very little English spoken by the visitors.

Here's the caveat. Glacier NP starts closing down that first weekend after Labor Day and may be mostly closed down by the time you get there in the middle of September. In fact Going to the Sun Road through the park might start getting snow and be closed. Yellowstone NP is not that far behind. In 1993 I stayed in a "summer" cabin at Old Faithful the first weekend after Labor Day. It was snowing and got down to 18degF. The cabin had no heat. If you rent a B they are at best good down to mid 20degF before you have to make precautions for freeze ups. But if you go, Yellowstone is where you should plan your time. Grand Teton just to the south is somewhat a scenic drive by that probably would not take more than two days instead of four as you estimated.

My suggestion is to enjoy Rainier and Olympia, then head south down the coast through Oregon to Crater Lake NP then into California for the Redwoods and Sequoias giant trees, and Yosemite NP. Then I would head over to southern Utah maybe via Death Valley NP, Las Vegas and Hoover Dam to Zion, Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands and Arches National Parks. You also won't be too far from Monument Valley and Grand Canyon. Colorado's Rocky Mountain NP and the Black Hills and Mount Rushmore area will be good until the end of September before starting to close down but will be iffy. We encountered temperatures in Colorado down to 22degF with snow on September 20th in Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP. Another caveat about the Black Hills. Custer State Park has their annual bison roundup I believe the last weekend of September and all the campgrounds for miles around will be full. You have to plan and reserve ahead if your schedule conflicts with the roundup. Of course, that would also be when you would want to be there.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:16 AM   #5

Thank you for your suggestions...

Two years ago we did an grand loop in 6 weeks (Cruise America RV). LA, SF, Yosemite,Kings Canyon+Sequoia NF, Death Valley, Las Vegas, Bryce, Zion, Capitol Reef, Arches, Canyonlands, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon, Flagstaff, Joshua tree, San Diego, La. Staying in Np’s campsites or boondocked along the way. We’d visit those parks again no problem!
That was a very very memorable trip we even spotted up close. .
Temperatures dropping to lower 30s in Zion and we had some snow in the Grand canyon.

There is so much to see and so many parks to visit it would take 2 years to do them all properly. This time we’re planning to travel more north, and try to stay ahead of the snow....

The reason why we would like to rent an RV again is to stay where it is nice (within parks etc.) and not having to travel to (and look for) a place to stay. We don’t like making reservations... or temperatures @ freezing point. We perfer NOT to winterize the RV we definitely want use the toilet/shower/water therefore if we can we avoid temperatures <32F it would be best and not damaging the RV. is a little frost (let’s say upper 20s) a problem for an not winterized RV Does it matter if it is hooked up ...?

We’re not fixed to the school holidays yet (for another 3 years) pfffew...so that’s why we leave when all schools have started. (same over here, 1st week of September)
We don’t mind parks shutting down some services...(less crowds = more fun and wildlife) as long as we can camp there (or boondock ), can consult rangers for travel hints and advice and there’s food nearby to stock up. In the 25ft C class we managed to stay ‚ unhooked’ for up to a week. Closed (thru-)roads are another thing.

We guess you are right about Glacier. The chance of snow is reasonable for September and size limit for the Going for the sun road is 21ft. If we have to we’d better include Glacier in a Canada trip that includes Waterton lakes NP. When we look at the pictures of this park it must be stunning place to visit. (So if there’s a heatwave in September.... )

Davydd, We overlooked your option of going south along the coast. Crater Lake looks nice, but the rim road @7800 ft receives it’s share of snow as well...in September too..? I have to look into this option. I’ll get back to to forum asap.

At the moment we’re still ‚ thinking’ renting from cruise america (good deals) so we either do a loop or a one way between their depots. Around 2500 miles for 5 1/2 week is ok, more and it will be a bit of a rush as we have to stop frequently and look after our 1,5 y-old as well. I guess 3 hours driving time a day during 3 to 4 days a week is ok. that takes us +/- 2600. I will look into your suggestion to „ go west” (either one way SF - Seattle) of a loop via for instance Salt lake city (including Grand Teton and Yellowstone).
How about a loop in the center (Denver... that includes Rocky mountain np, Colorado, etc. ) or South??. We like woods and forests and other nature’s wonders.\

Have you travelled that part?

Thanks again!
Old 03-21-2011, 02:27 AM   #6
Platinum Member

All of Colorado should be possible during the month of September. Mesa Verde NP in the southwest corner, Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP in the middle and Rocky Mountain NP in the north. Mid September on is always a gamble in the Rocky Mountains but we stayed in Rocky Mountain NP in the last weekend of September and it was gorgeous with the Aspen leaves turning gold. Also, the elk are in mating season and it is amazing to watch them. They can also take over your camp site.

Rocky Mountain NP campground on a September 28th day.

You should also be able to do the Black Hills, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Custer SP, Wind Cave NP and Badlands NP in South Dakota and Devil's Tower nearby in Wyoming until late September.

Here's a thought. Head for Yellowstone immediately, then South Dakota and come back through Colorado and finally work back through California up the coast and finish with Olympia and Mt. Rainier.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:54 PM   #7

Hmmm Davydd, we now have a different look at the possible routes. We created list of all the interested NP’s in the west. Unfortunately we ended up listing more than we can fit in this time but... we can skip some and come back another time!

The entire route you suggested covers close to 2800 miles (without detours) . That’s a bit to much with our toddler. But parts of the route are interesting.
We will plan a new route and post it here in a couple of days. If you want please have a look at it when ready.

BTW do you know of places where Camper vans like yours are rented? Commercial or private? We prefer a similar van style camper in stead of a ‚true’ RV.
Thanks for helping us out.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:28 AM   #8
Platinum Member

An option to consider is Denver is on your list to visit and you might consider making it your start out base. The Pleasure-Way RV website lists rentals so I am assuming this place might rent Class B Pleasure-Ways.

RV America
http://www.rvamericainc.com/

Northern Colorado
Sales/Rentals/Service
4777 Marketplace Drive
Loveland, Colorado 80537
Johnson's Corner Exit 254
Toll Free: (877) 578-1900
Phone: (970) 278-1900

West Denver, CO Metro Area
Sales/Rentals/Service
11808 & 12505 W 44th Ave.
Wheat Ridge, Colorado 80033
Phone: (303) 431-8121
Phone: (720) 898-9049

East Denver, CO Metro Area
Sales/Rentals/Service
3640 Chambers Road
Aurora, CO 80011
Toll Free: (866) 429-0165
Phone: (303) 360-0252
Old 03-23-2011, 12:21 AM   #9

Hi,

We took Denver as start-end option and found a nice route :the problem is the distance 2800 miles.
We have several options:
*skip parts of this route for example Canyon de chelly and Mesa Verde. Without these two it’s around 2100 miles.
in that case we would like to visit these two next time. Do you know of interesting places to combine these two with,(considered we have already done the AZ parks (Arches, Canyonlands etc). Otherwise we can better skip the parks on the east route to The Badlands however it’s hard to find interesting places in the neighborhood of the Badlands.
*Do the north loop out of denver this time and the south loop another time, however I think the south loop will be a lot of scenic driving. Great Sand Dunes, Canyon de Chelly and Mesa Verde, all 1 or 2 days is probably enough....

5 weeks for the north loop = not too much?

Thanks.

http://maps.google.nl/maps?f=d&sourc...,39.506836&z=5
Old 03-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbitty
Hi,

We’re from Europe and visiting USA and are planning a road trip from Seattle (RV pick up) to Denver (return RV). We’ve got 5 1/2 weeks. Starting +/- 10 September
We’re traveling with a toddler (1,5 year) so we would like to limit travel time per day to 3/4 hours.

Do you have any suggestions if we should alternate the route (see below) or spend more... or less time in a NP?
Right now I have figured out a nice route that link several NP’s.(the day’s include driving time) Is this feasible or a race against the clock?

Seattle (visit vancouver?) 2 Days
Olympic np /Mt Rainer np 5 Days (skip Olympic? or visit Mt Rainer NP, 2 days?)
Glacier np 4 Days
Yellowstone 5 Days
Grand teton 4 Days
Mt Rushm./devils twr 3 Days
Rocky mountain np 2 Days
Denver 1 Day
We hope to hear from you!
Last September we did Mt. Rushmore/Devil's Tower/Badlands/Yellowstone/ then northwest and did Mt. Rainier
then south to Bryce and Grand Canyon then home to Ontario, Canada. We were out for about 3 weeks.
On other trips we've done RMNP and some of the others you've mentioned as having seen.
I don't think 5.5 weeks will be an issue.
You might look into getting a GPS unit and adding a POI file with NPS location's coordinates in it. Then you could
decide in real time what places are close enough to your position to visit with in a reasonable time and distance.
I have a Garmin .csv file downloaded from one of the major free POI websites (POI-Factory or POI Friend, I can't
recall which one) and while we're driving we can simply pull up the North American locations and distances to NPS
and Canadian National parks from wherever we happen to be. Might be worth a look? Could save time and mileage.
Size of your RV might be at some of the parks/places you've mentioned. There are height/length/width restrictions
on some National Parks roads for larger vehicles, so you might want to check that with each place. The info is usually
available at each park's website, but it's probably quicker to make a quick call and ask about restrictions. Are you
renting a class B van? If you are, it won't likely be an issue. Enjoy your trip.