Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2015, 03:29 PM   #1

Default Thanksgiving at Destin Beach FL

I just have to tell this. This year my daughter and I spent Thanksgiving week in FL in the van. Called a campground in Destin and was told I could not have a fire to roast marshmallows and it would cost 100.00 night too. I explained to the lady I could not afford those rates and had brought my firewood and was so much wanting a campfire so I just couldn't stay with them did she know anywhere I could have a fire. Well she was so very nice to tell me to check with the state park a couple miles down the road they have campfires and she thought it was more affordable. Well I tell you it was just what I was looking for. I pulled in the FL state park beach in Destin in my 1989 falcon and there was 2 roadtreks already in the check in parking area. The ladies in those roadtreks were sisters who like me lost their mom in 2014 and just could not stand the thought of being home without mom on thanksgiving. While they were checking in one of the sisters talked to me and I noticed they paid like $15.00 per night but were from FL so I thought they got an instate price. They were joined by another lady in another roadtrek who was a best friend. Wish I had a picture of that my lil chevy surrounded by roadtreks. When I got checked in I was still very happy to have a place I could build my fire and hook up to power for $30.00 and was still thinking because I was out of state and the lady said well I wish I could give you the senior rate of $15.00 but you will have to wait about 20 years to qualify. Well she made my day for sure. I told my daughter I should pointed out my birthdate on my drivers license but I know when to shut up and take a compliment some days.

It was a beautiful campground our space was surrounded by vegetation it had a double water faucet, 20, 30,50 amp plug ins, a fire ring for grilling or fire gazing, post to tie stuff to if needed " little dog". Clean showers restrooms, laundry facility. Loved the boardwalk from the campground over the dunes to the ocean. What a great place and price at the state campground in Destin Beach FL. I will go back for sure.
SusieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 05:10 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Thanksgiving at Destin Beach FL

What a nice story. Sounds like a nice place to camp. Is that a photo of your dog in the forum practice area? What a cute dog!
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:33 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Aren't you glad the $100 a night place said "no fires" ?
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:12 PM   #4

Yes yes Marko that is my little dog named Little Bit or aka Bologna Dog the truckers call him. He was my brothers dog and before he passed he ask me to please take him and let him travel with me everywhere. The dog just loves to ride in any vehicle to any place. I have not tried him in a basket on my motorcycle yet but were gonna see I think he will ride fine. He loves sand and was so very happy on the beach I think he would just be a beach bum if he could. I tried to post him in the pets pictures but haven't figured out how yet.

Yes yes Stan what a wow I should have thought about that moment I had. I am so glad I asked!
SusieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:30 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Location: NE Mississippi Prairie Country & Georgia (don't try it)

Sounds great! I've been to Destin area in our trailer. Hey, EAT, just eat at that seafood place, wha' was it (?) in Ft. Walton Beach, I think it was, called Harbor Somethingorother. Oh me. It's wha' I call a two-timer restaurant. Ye'll go more than just one time. That means it's good.
GuyGene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:29 AM   #6
les

Henderson Beach state park is very nice. Harbor Docks is in Destin and it's at least a two-timer. They also do something special on Thanksgiving. They serve a standard Thanksgiving dinner for free. they take donations and they go to charity. Our daughter was disappointed because she was going for the sushi. Any other day. Lots of great restaurants. BTW in FWB for the view Crabtrap and for the great lunch deal Rick's Crabtrap.
les is offline   Reply With Quote