Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2020, 04:18 AM   #1
Kon
Bronze Member

Question Washboard roads airing down?

Hello friends ,

Has anyone had experience with their van ride down a washboard rough road for 5 or more miles ? I’m considering to head to Alabama Hills, CA and read their roads can have some pretty rough parts. I’m in a roadtrek 190 Chevy chassis, so I’m not sure if I can make it. The stock tire pressures are 60 front 80 rear.
Any fellow campers have any experience with these kinds of roads and any tips or recommendations?
Thanks in advance!
Kon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:19 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I do washboard in my PleasureWay on a 2005 Chev express 3500 chassis

same TP as you, stock height

it's not that I like it, but there are a few stretches on the apache trail that get ripply

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:22 AM   #3
Kon
Bronze Member

Thanks for the reply. Do you air down or you just let it rumble?
Old 07-28-2020, 06:16 AM   #4
Platinum Member

I have not aired down.

Mike
Old 07-28-2020, 06:47 AM   #5
Kon
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
I have not aired down.

Mike
Thanks again. I have more confidence now if I go.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:01 AM   #6
Bronze Member

On the way to Lone Pine Campground and Mt Whitney, I drove thru Alabama Hills. I had no problems and enjoyed the drive.

Wandering Wes
2010 Pleasure-way Excel TS
Never a problem, Sometimes a challenge, Always an adventure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 122.jpg (306.0 KB, 8 views)
Wandering Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 01:26 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Too much hassle to air down. Then air up again. Not even sure my portable generator can get tires back to 60/80psi without burning up.

I just avoid bad roads if I can, slow way down if I can't. But yes, rough roads are rougher in an rv.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 02:20 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Not even sure my portable generator can get tires back to 60/80psi without burning up.

I have one which runs on 120VAC, it'll air up off my genny - not fast but it works
Old 07-28-2020, 07:09 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I don't consider myself as a wimp about back roads, and have been on some that might be better suited to high clearance and four wheel drive. However there was one eight mile stretch of washboard gravel that we started on in our '09/10 Roadtrek C190P on that was so bad that I turned around after a mile or so. I tried all sorts of speeds to try to find one that didn't jar our teeth out, but just couldn't find anything comfortable. The road was not like a Jeep trail by any means, it was level and flat as I recall, but just had those ridges across it left regularly by some sort of road grader. It seemed that the frequency of the ridges vs. the suspension just didn't play well. I did not air down, and wouldn't out in the boonies unless my life depended on it.
dicktill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:33 PM   #10
Platinum Member

A few years ago we hit a long stretch of washboard in the South Dakota Badlands. I remembered a college prof in an engineering class say you should speed up to get the vehicle suspension acting at a higher frequency to reduce the motion. So I tried it and it worked, though I think we were going about 35-40 mph and kicking up dust. Encountered a similar road last year in New Mexico and tried it again. As before, things smoothed out, but I started to slide a little bit sideways which was very scary. So I slowed down and drove the rest at 5 mph. So no more high speed driving on washboard from now on. Besides, what am I in a hurry for anyway?
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:33 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Some roads, just don't get graded correctly & through a combination of harsh weather, the use of special vehicles & a poor base to begin with (rock & clay), they make live Hell in an RV.

Sometimes a perfect road can become an impossible one 30 days later.

It could also be a symptom of your Rig needing an inspection.

I am an Adventurer but the book*, THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED was NOT written by a Class B owner.

My vehicle is heavily modified because as Wes so accurately states, RV Travel is always an adventure ...

*yes, I understand the book's original intention about psychology & the choices we make
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 11:21 PM   #12
Kon
Bronze Member

Thanks again everyone for the insightful tips and comments.
I greatly appreciate them and wish everyone safe travels .
Old 07-28-2020, 11:44 PM   #13
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kon View Post
Thanks again everyone for the insight tips and comments.
I greatly appreciate them and wish everyone safe travels .
Hi Kon,

If you have not already driven your B on LOUSY surfaces, you'll learn as is discussed here at times: There are 2 whatevers, the van and the rv, home, house behind the front van seats.

The rv, home, house portion is glued and screwed together along with all of those pieces parts glued and screwed together.

You will decide what you'll put your B through.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 12:01 AM   #14
Kon
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Hi Kon,

If you have not already driven your B on LOUSY surfaces, you'll learn as is discussed here at times: There are 2 whatevers, the van and the rv, home, house behind the front van seats.

The rv, home, house portion is glued and screwed together along with all of those pieces parts glued and screwed together.

You will decide what you'll put your B through.

Bud

Yeah, I definitely don’t want things to come loose.
If I do decide to air down, what would be considered The ideal psi for the tires?
I do have a portable Dewalt 2.5 gallon air compressor that can air back up fairly quick and easy, but still wondering how low will I need to go.
Thanks again
Old 07-29-2020, 12:09 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
I am an Adventurer but the book*, THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED was NOT written by a Class B owner.
Quote of the Month! Maybe quote the Year!
Old 07-29-2020, 12:13 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicktill View Post
I don't consider myself as a wimp about back roads, and have been on some that might be better suited to high clearance and four wheel drive. However there was one eight mile stretch of washboard gravel that we started on in our '09/10 Roadtrek C190P on that was so bad that I turned around after a mile or so. I tried all sorts of speeds to try to find one that didn't jar our teeth out, but just couldn't find anything comfortable. The road was not like a Jeep trail by any means, it was level and flat as I recall, but just had those ridges across it left regularly by some sort of road grader. It seemed that the frequency of the ridges vs. the suspension just didn't play well. I did not air down, and wouldn't out in the boonies unless my life depended on it.
I was on one of those roads a few months ago. Didn't look bad, but those Caterpillar tracks are the worst. A relentless drubbing on every part of the van.