Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2008, 11:12 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Washington Coast

Has anyone here done any camping / touring on Washington's Coast?

I've never been there and am looking for pointers and suggestions.

Can you recommend any campgrounds to stay at and any sights to see?
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:38 AM   #2
Bronze Member

Hi Mark,

I haven't actually been right on the west coast of Washington, but last fall we were visting friends in Vancouver and Seattle, and were told of some nice camping spots on an island northwest of Seattle in Puget Sound called 'Whidbey Island'. There are ferry connections from Victoria, but most are passenger only. The only one that heads accross the carries vehicles(I think) goes to Port Angles.
Our friends in Vancouver said they took their kids there every summer for a few weeks of camping. There is lots to see and the campgrounds(at least the one we stayed at) were very nice. We were thinking of heading over to Vancouver Island from there, but the weather forcast for the next week of our vacation was horrible, so we headed back to the Okanogan, where the sun almost always shines, and it did. It was the end of October.
WAPITI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 04:33 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to julievojo

Yes, we've done it several times. There are all kinds of state parks and campground along the coast highway. One of our favorites is Pacific Beach State Park, near the town of Pacific Beach. From there you can drive north up the coast road to the Quinnault Indian Reservation. If you ask at the tribal office you can get a pass to go on the beach there. You'll find miles and miles of unspoiled, uninhabited beach to roam ( just be sure you park well above the tide line)

For more info go here: http://209.206.175.157/thingstodo.htm

There are also many beautiful campgrounds in Olympic National Park in NW Washington.

In the town of Westport there is a cool little campground called Grizzly Joe's. It's right on the water, and you can rent crab traps and catch your own dinner off the dock. It's also a nice short walk into town for some interesting restaurants.

If you're interested, send me a PM and I'll send you a link to all kinds of pictures from that area. I would have to take a look at the pics myself to remember the names of all of the campgrounds and scenic areas.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:54 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Thanks for the info. I'm going to put Washington's west coast on my "places to visit" list".
Old 10-19-2008, 04:12 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Default Gooseneck Barnacle

Gooseneck Barnacles

This large log was covered with them and had come ashore on Benson Beach in Cape Disappointment State Park near Ilwaco, Washington. We were there last week.

I read that Gooseneck Barnacles are being farmed commercially in Washington.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:31 AM   #6

Here's a link to my Easter '08 trip.

http://astrosafarivans.org/bb2/viewtopi ... =38&t=1873

Another asks a similar question:

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showt ... hp?t=17155
2k3 Chevy Astro AWD, Overlandvans 4-5" lift, 4:10's w/ Eaton posi in rear, NP233c 4x4 2spd Hi Lo transfercase, 255/70 16 ATs, GTRV Pop Top w/ sleeper bunk, Gaucho coach, Coleman Fridge, and tons of Thule
T.Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:55 AM   #7

Default Re: Washington Coast

I think that those are gooseneck clams, not barnacles, but I am not sure. I just know that they grow really fast in the summer months. We left a crab pot in the ocean off the Washington Coast for about a month, and those were already growing on the rope.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:54 PM   #8

Default Re: Washington Coast

Grayland State Park is very nice. There is drivable access to the beach but, no overnite parking on the beach.
Twin Harbour is OK but, not on the beach. The drive is awsome.
LV2FLY is offline   Reply With Quote