Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2011, 12:48 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default What places have you visited in your B this year?

What places have you visited in your B this year?

Lets hear from everyone.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:11 AM   #2
Bronze Member

Default Re: What places have you visited in your B this year?

with our roadtrek 210 popular we have visited the lincoln museum in springfield, il; howard steamboat museum in jeffersonville, in; louisville slugger museum in louisville, ky; and plan a hot air ballon festival in harrison, ar (sep); smoky mountains (oct); bluegrass festival in mountain view, ar (nov).

next june we both retire and plan to tear up the roads - 3 month trip to nova scotia, labrador, newfoundland, maine, new england (leaves), florida, and back home. 3 month trip 2013 to bc canada, alaska, northwest coast, yosemite, albuquerque balloon festival.

i rest my case.
hardybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:53 AM   #3
Gold Member

Headed south twice: Feb/March to Southern Arizona for a break from Calgary winter -Vegas (to "dewinterize"), Parker, Phoenix, Tucson, Tombstone, Yuma, St George (Snow Canyon) on way home, Ogden (to "rewinterize") - mostly state parks, favourite place to lay over for a few days was Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument. In May/June headed south again - Montana, west to Oregon coast and down to N California, across Nevada to Utah (Zion, Bryce Canyon, Arches) south to Arizona (Monument Valley), north to Colorado (Mesa Verde), Denver, South Dakota (Mount Rushmore), up to Little Big Horn National Memorial, southwest to Yellowstone and home again. 15K Km total, but great road trips.
LesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:05 AM   #4
Silver Member

In May 2011, we traveled from Wisconsin Dells, WI to Las Vegas, NV. Along the way, we visited Mesa Verde, Four Corners, Grand Canyon, Laughlin NV, Las Vegas, Bryce Canyon, Zion Canyon, Arches NP, and a few other stops in between. It was a fantastic trip that we will be doing again. I wish I could say we are heading out again soon, but during our trip, we had to buy 4 new tires ($1200) and a battery . Since then we've had to replace our ABS module ($1200) , and now our macerator pump needs replacing after 17 months ($400-500) . We have a squealing sound coming from our engine that is being investigated as to what that is (maybe air conditioner compressor...$900, or fan belt wheel bearings?) . Our next long trip we will be heading for FL in January ....let's hope nothing else comes up in repairs . In a couple of weeks we will be heading for Upper Michigan .
yizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:31 AM   #5

Halifax N.S. round the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton Island, through New Brunswick to Montreal and on to the Halliburton Highlands about three hours north of Toronto. About 1600 miles. The '88 Xplorer behaved well.
stxal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:32 AM   #6
g1g
Platinum Member

We went to Marti Gras and of course a few stops in between. I would still like to head out for someplace else though but that doesn't look to promising
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:00 PM   #7
Silver Member

We did four trips this year.
The first was to St. Louis. I had a business meeting so we left from NW Ohio a couple days early and camped our way across Indiana and Illinois. The weather was scortching hot but we had a nice bonus in St. Louis. Thanks to the size or our "B", we were able to parallel park on the street right across from the Gateway Arch. Everyone needs to go to the top of the Arch at least ones don't they? A nice surprise - the Gateway Arch is a National Park so our geezer pass got us a nice discount.

In July, we headed to the western side of Michigan (Ludington) for a family get together. We drove the RT and did some driveway camping.

Over the past few weeks, we made two trips to SE North Carolina. Actually, Camp Lejeune. Our youngest son's Marine Corps battalion came home from Afghanistan in early August so we were there to welcome them home . The 2nd trip was last week to attend the battalion memorial service. We discovered a great campground (Stoney Fork) in Jefferson National Forest just north of Wythesville, VA. It's only 4 miles off I-77. It's quiet, has large/private camping spots, nice showers and best of all, only $12 with the geezer pass. Are you getting the idea I like my geezer pass?

On the 2nd trip to NC, we were able to visit friends in Wilmington and decided to use a different route to come home so we headed toward Ashville, NC and the nice ride through the mountains of western NC. I was getting the urge to do the Dragons Tail but decided that would be best for another day so we kept going and stayed at Cove Lake State Park in northern TN. It's another nice park close to the highway. Just a mile off I-75.

We might do a fall color tour next month. Maybe Michigan since we have family there or maybe the hills of SE Ohio.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:33 PM   #8
Platinum Member

In late March/April we went to Arizona and California with stops in New Mexico, Colorado and Nebraska. We covered Arizona top to bottom putting over 3,000 miles on their roads and also attended a BEE van Social in Tombstone, AZ.

Our Arizona routes marked in yellow.

We took another trip to Springfield, IL for the RV.net B8 Rally followed up with our annual trip to the Indianapolis 500 and then coming back to Minnesota via Michigan and the UP.

Driving on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway track.

Our third trip was to Washington, DC and Northern Virginia. We took our son and two grandsons (6 & 2) from La Crosse, WI along on that trip to visit our daughter and granddaughter ( for a rare get together.

Lastly, we've made local trips to Northern Minnesota both the Brainerd Lakes area and the Lake Superior North Shore.

Next week we head out for Lake of the Pines in NE Texas for a fall BEE van Social. We'll then head on to Houston for visits, then over to New Orleans. We'll probably stay out until about the first of November and hope to head down the Gulf Coast of Florida for a while before heading back to Minnesota. We have over 70 nights and 12,000 miles on the road so far this year. I imagine we will finish up with over 100 nights and close to 20,000 miles.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:33 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

In March we toured south towards Kentucky and scoped out Churchill Downs. Then just headed south towards
Atlanta, then west towards Houston an Austin Texas. Looped back towards Myrtle Beach, and then north on a
mostly meandering route and home. Just looking at stuff and places and people along the way. And we did some
shopping while the loonie was a few cents above par.

On a current events note, we always head from Houston to Austin via Bastrop, TX. We've always liked Bastrop,
it's quiet and friendly, and we are absolutely shocked by the damage we've seen in that area, by these wild fires.

Beginning of August we headed east to do Gaspe, but it wasn't a very pleasant trip, as construction season and
the slowdowns and traffic it caused were the worst in the 3 years we've been out there. After one particularly
rough piece of roadway (gravel and mud with potholes like canyons) I noticed some wiring hanging down from
under the passenger side door. It was probably monitor panel leads from the tanks, and when I was able to find
a curb high enough to "bump" the nose up onto, I was able to get underneath and secure it again. PITA. I don't
think we''ll head back there again without first checking the road closures and construction maps to see which
routes to avoid. Hwy 132 was a hit and miss mess from end to end. We'd just clear one construction zone, turn
a corner, and be faced with another, it seemed.
We got fed up with it, but decided to return via Providence, Hartford, and Albany. 3 more State Capitols off the
list. Boston was there for the taking, but we were so disappointed with the Maritimes, we decided it would have to
wait for another time, probably the Washigton DC and surrounding "StatCaps 2012" tour next year. We only need
the DC area StatCaps, and we've got almost all of the lower 48. We still need one or two out west, and one along
the Gulf Coast.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:30 AM   #10
Platinum Member

I have not been to "special" places this year but have been out 13 nights in the surrounding area mostly boondocking. I have had a blast and hope to get out more before it gets too cold.

Here was a boondocking campsite with a fire pit and picnic table ($10 a night)

The next two pictures below were at a friends farm house who invited RVers over for 4th of July Weekend. (Free)

The next two pictures were at friends property near a creek bank. (Free)

goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:48 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Ft. Collins, CO currently. Have seen a few Bs on the road. Some wave/flash, others don't.

Just came down from some business in southern Alberta, and passed through
GNP, Yellowstone/Grand Teton, and RMNP. It was snowing in the latter yesterday.
Will seek out Black Canyon/Gunnison before Moab, Arches/Canyonlands, Bryce,
maybe Zion and possibly, although it's a big maybe, Yuma and some of the LTVA
locations near there.
Taking some photos, may post a few upon our return.

Take care everyone, it's a jungle out here.........

UPDATE: Been on the road for 3 weeks and just got back last night. We did our trip west thru the northern USA border states until we exited into Alberta and on to Lethbridge for a quick look around, and also at some real estate listings with a view to a possible move west in the future.
We then re-entered the US in Montana and headed for Glacier NP, but the Going to the Sun road was under construction (seems just about everywhere we went this year, that was the general rule) and only partly passable, so we drove in about 8 miles (it's about 40 miles long I think?) and saw mostly stuff that reminded us of Yellowstone and Yosemite, so I guess we missed the best parts. Will try again, I'm sure.
Then we headed south and did in order, Yellowstone (Old Faithful was intersting), Grand Teton, Rocky Mountain, Bryce, Lake Powell, Grand Canyon North and South rims, then just meandered around AZ near Quartzite until we'd had enough and came home. I think we've decided LTVA camping isn't for us. It looked like what Woodstock must have resembled, after the bands all left. Just ugly.
Didn't get to Black Canyons, Zion, or Yuma, but did see our usual smattering of great scenery, wildlife, and other B vans. Some wave, some don't, so that's still the same.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:13 PM   #12

Trip of our lifetime! In our 2005 Leisure Travel Van Free Spirit (Sprinter).

May 1, left Okeechobee, FL, headed for Vancouver, BC. Through Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, first major stop was Mammoth Caves, KY. On to Indianapolis, Springfield, IL (least RV friendly place we went), Peoria to visit friends.

They recommended "House On the Rock" in Spring Green, WI -- went there, and another Major stop! Highly recommended. On to Minnesota (and the Spam Museum) , Mitchell, SD and the Corn Palace, Wall Drug, Badlands NP, Rapid City and all the sights around there -- Mt. Rushmore, Custer SP, Crazy Horse, 1880 Train. Then on to Devils Tower, Little Bighorn, Cody, WY. Stuck there for 3 days trying to get into Yellowstone -- avalanched danger at the beginning of June! Finally in to Yellowstone June 3rd, couldn't find our picnic table under the snow!

Then to Grand Teton, EBR-1 (Electric Breeder Reactor #1, near Arco, Idaho), Craters of the moon NP, then on to Lolo and Missoula, MT. Over Lolo Pass to Lewiston and Clarkston, then northwest to Grand Coulee Dam. Across Cascades Hwy in northern WA, logging competition near Bellingham, the across border to Vancouver Island. Two days in Victoria, two on Pacific Coast (Long Beach Provincial Park), then two in Quailcum Bay, then back to mainland and four days in Vancouver (actually stayed in Burnaby).

June 24, flew to Anchorage, 5 day train and bus tour to Denali NP and Alyeska, then boarded Oceania Regatta for a 12 day cruise from Anchorage (actually departed from Port of Anchorage) to Vancouver. Picked up the van and headed south to Mt. Rainier, Mt. St. Helens, Crater Lake, Columbia River Gorge, Redwoods NP, Pacific Coast Hwy, Napa Valley, then stopped at sister-in-law in Walnut Creek, CA.

Resumed to Yosemite, then south to Joshua Tree NP, Grand Canyon, Zion NP, Bryce Canyon and up to Salt Lake City for three days. Spun around and headed back south to San Anotnio via Arches NP, 4 Corners, Mesa Verde and Albuquerque. From San Antonio visited niece in Houston, then New Orleans.

Went all the way around Florida Panhandle and Gulf Beaches, then to daughter's house in Zephyhills, FL, then finally back to Okeechobee on September 29. Total almost 4 months, around 11,000 miles, no major problems with van -- had awning blow off in South Dakota, should have known better when there was a windmill across the road . Had a capacitor burrn out of the A/C in New Orleans, loose wire in shore power connection in Pensacola.

Quick 10 day trip to Myrtle Beach at the end of September, staying home for a while, now!
don horner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:19 AM   #13
Silver Member

Wow...that's quite a trip Don. We have Alaska our bucket list but it probably won't happen until official retirement. We would probably drive there but I've heard positive things about the cruise so I'll have to consider the way you did it.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:20 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Alaska is also a possible destination for us.
Caveat about it, according to a couple we met in Lethbridge a few weeks ago. They had been up there since
June and were returning to FL in their class A with toad. They mentioned the gravel roads and another guy
we met in AZ said the same thing. Apparently windshield and radiator companies do a brisk business up that
way. Both had had issues with flying rocks from vehicles ahead of them on the roadways.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:54 AM   #15
Platinum Member

We arrived home this afternoon after another 6 weeks on the road. We first went to Texas for a B van social at Lake o' the Pines near Marshall, TX, then we spent a few days at my cousin's beach house in Galveston, TX. After that we hugged the Gulf Coast as much as humanly possible and camped at Grand Isle, LA, Gulf Shores, AL, St. Joseph Peninsula SP in Florida and a few other places. We made our way down to Naples, FL then crossed over to the Florida Keys and camped on the beach there in state parks. We got to the end in Key West. On our way back we stopped at the Everglades and St. George Island SP. We also camped at Fort De Soto County Park near St. Petersburg (highly recommended) and a few other off the beaches state parks. Once we headed back we drove through Georgia and hit a buzz saw in north Georgia. It seemed all of Atlanta had spilled out to see the fall colors last weekend and all campgrounds, even remote national forest campgrounds were full. We ended up boondocking at an Appalachian Trail trailhead parking lot. That was free and better than a Walmart. We also camped at Mammoth Cave NP in Kentucky and explored the caves.

We spent one night in New Orleans. We stayed at a private campground on Lake Ponchatrain in the city and they provided a shuttle to and from the French Quarter.

The three Louisiana state parks we stayed in all had free wifi. I assume maybe all do. That was nice. Most state parks being so remote usually don't even have cell phone service.

We left Florida for Georgia a couple of days early because the Florida state parks were full for the weekend and of course as mentioned we ran into the same in Georgia. If you visit Florida you really need to plan ahead and make reservations especially on weekends and I understand in the winter anytime in the Florida Keys. Early October was not a problem. That seem to be the true off-season. Fall and spring traveling usually does not need any reservation planning. We did manage not to have to stay at a Walmart parking lot. National Forest campgrounds are the cheapest especially with a Golden age half price deal. State parks run about $20-30. The Florida Keys were $43. They are full and in high demand so I guess they can get it. They are much better than private campgrounds. We didn't stay or even check out a KOA this trip but the last one we stayed in cost over $50. Not once did we need to use leveling blocks. We always managed to get a practically dead level campsite.

I used an app on my iPhone called Campwhere. It finds your current location and shows you the surrounding public campgrounds bet they town, county, state or national. Over the 6 weeks we stayed in private campgrounds but three times. Once in New Orleans, once in Pine Mountain, GA and on our way home we stayed at the Double-J in Springfield, IL which was the site of the RV.net B8 Rally last May. When we stayed in Pine Mountain we were like a guppy in a sea of whales. There was a Blue Bird Rally going on. Blue Birds are class A RVs and were manufactured by a bus company. They have the shape of your typical 40 ft. long city bus.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:07 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Whales and guppies?

Met a couple from Tennessee who used a RT as a toad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ustripsep11 136small.jpg (90.7 KB, 1159 views)
File Type: jpg ustripsep11 134small.jpg (63.1 KB, 1159 views)
Old 12-19-2011, 01:39 PM   #17

Headed south twice: Feb/March to Southern Arizona for a break from Calgary winter -Vegas (to "dewinterize"), Parker, Phoenix, Tucson, Tombstone, Yuma, St George (Snow Canyon) on way home, Ogden (to "rewinterize") - mostly state parks, favourite place to lay over for a few days was Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument. In May/June headed south again - Montana, west to Oregon coast and down to N California, across Nevada to Utah (Zion, Bryce Canyon, Arches) south to Arizona (Monument Valley), north to Colorado (Mesa Verde), Denver, South Dakota (Mount Rushmore), up to Little Big Horn National Memorial, southwest to Yellowstone and home again. 15K Km total, but great road trips.

Dan
Old 11-14-2022, 07:38 PM   #18
Silver Member

Drove from Niagara Ontario West and North to Yukon then down into BC to Prince Rupert across to Port Hardy toured Van Island then back to mainland up the Sea to Sky, Banff Jasper then home via Northern Ontario. Stayed a month then drove to Monowi Nebraska,Mt Rushmore, South and North Dakota, Wisconsin and the beautiful UP of Michigan before heading home. Made a huge contribution to the fuel companies but had a fantastic time. The old Roadtrek 200 never skipped a beat, cant wait for next year, if covid doesn't screw things up. Damn this retirement is great.
Scottie409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 09:05 PM   #19
Platinum Member

AZ, NM, TX, OK, KS, MO, IL, IN, OH, PA, NY, ON, QC, NB, PEI NS,

NB, ME NH VT CT, NY, PA, OH, IN, IL, MO, KS, CO, NM, AZ

From Home up to Ottawa to visit family, sightseeing Quebec, New Brunswick, side trip to PEI, back to NB, Nova Scotia for a couple of weeks.

NB and into Maine then a long diagonal home, staying at or near a couple of places we liked on the outbound leg

Great trip.
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 11:56 AM   #20
Platinum Member

Early spring trip to AR, LA, MS, then CT, NH. Two months in Colorado high mountains (only one 14’er this year), then 2.5 months CA, NV, OR, ID. The year is not over—we are presently headed to OH, then AZ for Christmas.

Last month, we got this:

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote