Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2022, 05:01 PM   #41
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
Now you have two pans to wash. We have zero.
That's probably true depending on if you heat in the microwave using disposable bags or containers which would also have to be washed. But it's beside the point. My post, directed at the OP, was to point out that you don't have to sacrifice home prepared meals if you don't have a microwave.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 05:53 PM   #42
Platinum Member

I just ate a breakfast sandwich of sausage and egg from frozen to microwave this morning satisfactorily. Not much different than a McDonald's offering. Quick no mess, no cleanup meal. I May rethink what we hold in our freezer underway.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 06:48 PM   #43
Platinum Member

Just an opinion but you need a large battery bank and/or a generator to bother with a microwave. I, too, choose microwave. Very handy.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 08:21 PM   #44
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Just an opinion but you need a large battery bank and/or a generator to bother with a microwave. I, too, choose microwave. Very handy.
Depends how you need or use your microwave. if you heat a cup of water for tea or instant coffee you probably don't need a large battery bank if your inverter allows it. Otherwise, without shore power you would need a generator. Large battery banks go hand in hand with inverters capable of handling a microwave and you don't need shore power or generator to do most all cooking you would normally do with a microwave or even longer with a convection oven. You can always use a microwave on shore power or Onan generator which for most of my Class B life back to 2005 was normal use when most Class Bs had one lead-acid battery of a little over 100ah but had a microwave.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 08:32 PM   #45
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Depends how you need or use your microwave. if you heat a cup of water for tea or instant coffee you probably don't need a large battery bank if your inverter allows it. Otherwise, without shore power you would need a generator. Large battery banks go hand in hand with inverters capable of handling a microwave and you don't need shore power or generator to do most all cooking you would normally do with a microwave or even longer with a convection oven. You can always use a microwave on shore power or Onan generator which for most of my Class B life back to 2005 was normal use when most Class Bs had one lead-acid battery of a little over 100ah but had a microwave.
It appears that Thor is offering as standard 2 lithium 100 amp batteries with a 3000 watt inverter. Anyone know why 3000 watts, seems like...............

I assume that the Microwave uses 'some' of the 3000 watts.

I listened to a Coachmen Beyond with the ac running powered by about a 260 watt agm battery. I suppose one could have added some more agm watt hours.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 08:39 PM   #46
Platinum Member

A 1500 watt inverter works well for my 1100 watt microwave. I think I saw it draw 110 amps from the two lithium batteries I had at the time.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 12:54 PM   #47

Default Toast in a Convection Microwave? Advice please.

I'm choosing between a convection microwave oven for a 144" Sprinter, vs a microwave + separate toaster oven.

Toast is very important to me. I'm wondering if convection microwaves are well-suited to making toast, or if I would be better off with a conventional microwave and a separate Breville for toast, pizza reheating, and other food that doesn't do well in a microwave.

I've never seen a convection microwave.
Vanstertails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 11:24 PM   #48
Platinum Member

I’ve had only one microwave+convection oven (in my previous van), but based on that experience vs my current setup my advice is to go with the Breville oven if you want good toast.
Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 11:00 AM   #49

David, how did the Ninja work out for you? Any chance it could replace an induction cooktop and cookware?
Vanstertails is offline   Reply With Quote