Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2020, 11:54 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Convection vs. Conventional Microwave

As we shop for our first Class B RV, we think we want a convection microwave, because we want to bake while on the road. Our previous Airstream trailer had a propane-fired oven, so it was easy to bake in that galley. However, as we look at Class B RVs, some have convection microwaves, and some don't. For those of you out there who like to bake in your RV but don't have a convection microwave oven onboard, how have you achieved that goal, or what have you done instead?

We know about a Coleman oven that works on their camp stoves so that's one possibility, but that could force us to carry both a camp stove and that oven, filling up valuable storage space in the van. What else we should be thinking about and looking at?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009PURJA/

Thanks!
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 12:32 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Just another thought. Has anyone dumped their conventional microwave, reclaimed that space for storage, and started carrying a convection toaster oven, perhaps like this one?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001L5TVGW/

Thanks!
Old 08-04-2020, 01:26 AM   #3
Platinum Member

We love our convection microwave. We use it all the time for baking and combination microwave/oven cooking. Were it to fail tomorrow I would look for another identical model. The only downside is that it does take more power on Convection than on Microwave but since we do not run either one off the inverter that is not a big deal.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 01:30 AM   #4
Platinum Member

We actually have 2 Breville toaster ovens and love them but I would not trade them for the convection microwave in the RoadTrek. They serve different purposes and, at home, we have the choice of the Breville, a regular oven and a microwave...can't really have that in the "B" but the Convection Microwave pretty much does it all in one unit.
Old 08-04-2020, 02:23 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFry View Post
We actually have 2 Breville toaster ovens and love them but I would not trade them for the convection microwave in the RoadTrek. They serve different purposes and, at home, we have the choice of the Breville, a regular oven and a microwave...can't really have that in the "B" but the Convection Microwave pretty much does it all in one unit.
Oh, interesting, which RoadTrek has a convection micro? We've been looking at the Zion, which is conventional microwave only. Thanks!
Old 08-04-2020, 02:53 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I am not sure. Mine is a 2008C210P but from reading the newsgroups it was widely available in many models. It is really great; It actually is a convection oven you can bake in as well as a Microwave plus it can cook with a combination of the two. The one we have is Apollo Half time oven but I don't know if that model is still available.Here is what I found on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-EC042...6552673&sr=8-3
Old 08-04-2020, 04:12 PM   #7
Platinum Member

We had a convection/microwave oven in our 2013 Roadtrek E-Trek, which we recently sold prior to taking possession of a new van. We used the RT oven quite a bit in convection mode. It created a lot of cabin heat when baking, and did not hold temps above 350F very well (but that was easily solved by increasing baking time a bit when necessary).

In our new van we decided to go with a portable induction cooktop, a portable Breville toaster oven, and a built-in Panasonic microwave. We’ve only had the new van for a couple months, but it’s been great being able to cook outside with both the induction unit and especially the Breville oven during warm summer weather. Both items are quite light and easily stored. So far so good. Food for thought.
Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:16 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlo View Post
We had a convection/microwave oven in our 2013 Roadtrek E-Trek, which we recently sold prior to taking possession of a new van. We used the RT oven quite a bit in convection mode. It created a lot of cabin heat when baking, and did not hold temps above 350F very well (but that was easily solved by increasing baking time a bit when necessary).

In our new van we decided to go with a portable induction cooktop, a portable Breville toaster oven, and a built-in Panasonic microwave. We’ve only had the new van for a couple months, but it’s been great being able to cook outside with both the induction unit and especially the Breville oven during warm summer weather. Both items are quite light and easily stored. So far so good. Food for thought.
Thanks for this, it's exactly what we were beginning to think about, especially if we wind up settling for a camper van that has only a conventional microwave.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:17 PM   #9
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Thanks for this, it's exactly what we were beginning to think about, especially if we wind up settling for a camper van that has only a conventional microwave.
Hey, nothing wrong with having your cake and eat it too.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:50 AM   #10
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlo View Post
In our new van we decided to go with a portable induction cooktop, a portable Breville toaster oven, and a built-in Panasonic microwave.
Can you share the model # of that Breville? I would love to have a convection solution for my PW when I get it (looks like it'll be microwave only), and I've already come to the conclusion that taking out the microwave and replacing it with a convection microwave probably can't happen (can't find a suitably small convection microwave).
PleasantonMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:36 AM   #11
Platinum Member

We have the Breville Mini Smart Oven (BOV450XL). There is also a “compact” version that is a bit larger but still easily portable.
Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:00 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PleasantonMac View Post
...I've already come to the conclusion that taking out the microwave and replacing it with a convection microwave probably can't happen (can't find a suitably small convection microwave).
We're thinking along similar lines, given convection microwave ovens get considerably hotter when in use. As a result, even if the unit fits, it may not be safe to put a convection microwave unit into a space designed for a standard microwave.
Old 08-06-2020, 03:01 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Hey, nothing wrong with having your cake and eat it too.

Bud
The trouble is that once I make the cake and eat it, the cake is gone and then I have to start all over again. That's why we want the convection microwave.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:25 AM   #14
Silver Member

Quote:
even if the unit fits, it may not be safe to put a convection microwave unit into a space designed for a standard microwave.
Ugh... I hadn't thought of that part. Well, once I actually have my toy and see how we really use it, then I'll know what extra goodies I'll need to buy.

Quote:
The trouble is that once I make the cake and eat it, the cake is gone and then I have to start all over again. That's why we want the convection microwave.
Unfortunately, that is the nature of cake. It's also the nature of my daughter's chocolate chip cookies that she likes to bake.
PleasantonMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 07:39 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Default Convection microwave

One thing about any class B is that space is a premium. The combining of multiple functions in one appliance is a good thing and worth the premium in cost. Our convection microwave even does great toast, which was a surprise. One other option for baking is to use a Dutch oven. You prep charcoal briquets (which an be done very quickly with a starter), put the Dutch oven on top of them then place some coals on the top as well. These bake things very well and fast. Great for stews, jambalaya, cakes, etc,.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YOKWBI6..._XgfmFbB7EM1NV

This charcoal starter is foldable to save space.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XDTHG46..._kifmFb707CHF5
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 07:51 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by engnrsrule View Post
One thing about any class B is that space is a premium. The combining of multiple functions in one appliance is a good thing and worth the premium in cost. Our convection microwave even does great toast, which was a surprise. One other option for baking is to use a Dutch oven. You prep charcoal briquets (which an be done very quickly with a starter), put the Dutch oven on top of them then place some coals on the top as well. These bake things very well and fast. Great for stews, jambalaya, cakes, etc,.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YOKWBI6..._XgfmFbB7EM1NV

This charcoal starter is foldable to save space.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XDTHG46..._kifmFb707CHF5
Interesting idea, thanks for sharing that tip!
Old 08-10-2020, 07:36 PM   #17

Quote:
As we shop for our first Class B RV, we think we want a convection microwave, because we want to bake while on the road. Our previous Airstream trailer had a propane-fired oven, so it was easy to bake in that galley. However, as we look at Class B RVs, some have convection microwaves, and some don't. For those of you out there who like to bake in your RV but don't have a convection microwave oven onboard, how have you achieved that goal, or what have you done instead?

We know about a Coleman oven that works on their camp stoves so that's one possibility, but that could force us to carry both a camp stove and that oven, filling up valuable storage space in the van. What else we should be thinking about and looking at?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009PURJA/

Thanks!
Might I suggest an Air fryer? We have one and it is fast, hot and uses 1300 watts. We have 1 in the house and 1 in the RV
https://www.amazon.com/COSORI-Electr...s%2C237&sr=8-3
1roadtrek190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:12 PM   #18
Silver Member

I installed a microwave and ended up getting stuck living in the van for about 4 months, I had to have a oven and got a nice toaster oven. I hated it from the minute I put it in because I lost the space for the stuff I had to move from it's new spot.

I started looking for a convection microwave and was just about to buy the 450 dollar breville combi wave when I came across the 98 dollar Galanz unit at walmart. It's a convection oven, it roasts, bakes, combi bakes and microwave, auto reheat and auto cooks and is also an air fryer.

I've used all it's features and have to say it's been great. I never thought I would ever buy an air fryer but I've used that feature a few times and it works good too. If I ever end up with another rig and it doesn't have an oven I'll plan on adding one of these.
Old 09-30-2020, 03:10 PM   #19
Bronze Member

Hello .. We R also in shopping mode 4 a class B .. As a chef i already know what i want .. But will my choices work with the available electrical output of said class B unit chosen .. will have to look at units offering solar power + large battery capacity and probably a good inverter & Volta start (none of which i am familiar with) .. All in all when the proper class B is chosen i will have to make choices .. I already have quality equipment here at my dwelling .. So essentially when talking with sales REP i will obviously mention what i have/need 4 BoonDOKinG & camping (75%/25%) .. Lots of my equipement is already gas operated .. So like U .. A choice will have 2 B made in as far as convection/microwave combo .. As we intend 2 eat well prepared meals 100% of the time .. Eating canned prepped meals & sandwiches just will not do .. Rite know am looking at many brands so as 2 make the rite choice .. There's allot of work just selecting all of the aforementioned stuff .. ThanX
Old 09-30-2020, 04:06 PM   #20
Platinum Member

We have a convection toaster oven at home. Use it for muffins, pie, pizza, etc. It is great. You need watch it carefully. But it takes forever to toast bread.
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote