Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2021, 08:00 PM   #1

Default Crockpot while dry camping

Hi all, I have another cooking while dry camping question. Is it possible to use a crockpot for cooking occasionally?

We are on the wait list for a Class B that will have two 12V AGM batteries, 2000 watt inverter, 330 watts solar, 220 amp lithium battery pack. It will have a a refrigerator.

I know we will do the majority of our meals outside with a propane camp stove/griddle, but wondered about being able to use a crockpot.

I appreciate your help with my many questions 😊
Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 09:37 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I used to have a Class B with just one 12v lead acid wet battery with an 800w inverter to operate a TV that sat above the galley counter. I could plug a crockpot in the outlet and slow cook our evening dinner while driving. The crockpot sat in the sink braced with cans and such so it would not move around.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 10:15 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Get a 3qt Instant Pot instead. Much more versatile and at 750W, well-suited to a van's limited power system. You can still slow cook in it if you want, but why bother.

While you are at it, splurge for the non-stick insert. Often, a wipe with a wet paper towel is all the cleaning it needs.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 12:27 AM   #4

Thanks that seems like a good solution
Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 04:36 PM   #5

Did the same thing Davydd. Crockpots don't pull that many amps so your solar should work even if you aren't driving.
Old 02-18-2021, 04:51 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Check to see how many watts the crockpot etc. is using at various power settings. If the pot or manual doesn't have the info, use a "Kill A Watt Electricity Usage Monitor".

A Kill A Watt monitor would be good in any case. I've found that appliances often over state their wattage. And the Kill A Watt will give you Watt-hours as you're actually cooking something which is what you really want.
ikanode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 05:04 PM   #7

I agree on the instant pot. It has numerous advantages. 1) Much more energy efficient because it's insulated and sealed. That holds in the heat and reduces evaporative heat loss. 2) The lid latches in place, so no RV messes with flying lids and beef stew spills. 3) The pressure cooking is also very energy efficient because the food cooks much faster with far less energy. 4) Since the unit is sealed, you won't put extra water vapor into your cramped space. If you're pressure cooking, you can even carry the unit outside to vent once the meal is done. 5) The 3 quart instant pot is the perfect size for a class B
ProseMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 05:28 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikanode View Post
Check to see how many watts the crockpot etc. is using at various power settings. If the pot or manual doesn't have the info, use a "Kill A Watt Electricity Usage Monitor".

A Kill A Watt monitor would be good in any case. I've found that appliances often over state their wattage. And the Kill A Watt will give you Watt-hours as you're actually cooking something which is what you really want.
If you have a shunt-based battery monitor and an inverter, you can also check consumption by disconnecting from shore power and watch the DC consumption with and without the load in question turned on. This is easy and also has the advantage that it includes inverter losses, so you get a bottom-line number.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:24 PM   #9
Bronze Member

Default Crockpot

Check out this crockpot. Uses no electricity, save your battery. It works great and it is also another pillow.
www.wonderbagworld.com
Boyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyde View Post
Check out this crockpot. Uses no electricity, save your battery. It works great and it is also another pillow.
www.wonderbagworld.com
It's not electricity (or propane) free, because the contents have to be brought to boiling before placing in the bag. It just reduces energy usage by increasing insulation. Actually, you could use an instant pot in one of those. Since the instant pot is self contained and insulated, the temperature sensors inside would automatically adjust to whatever heat loss (or lack thereof) occurs with your particular setup.
ProseMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:12 PM   #11
Bronze Member

You are right it does require energy to initially heat the pot, however it does not require electricity, rather wood if camp fire, propane if camp stove, or propane if inside stove. All these methods do not use battery.
Also the instant pot cannot be used as a pillow, or safely stored on top of the bed.
Just saying.
Boyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 11:26 PM   #12
Platinum Member

How good is the insulating—IOW, if I put something boiling in it, how hot will it be 4 hours later in a 60-65° environment?

I wish there were a size between 2qt and 5qt.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 03:11 AM   #13
Platinum Member

We love out Crockpot®, we set it up in the morning, place it in the sink with a bungee cord over the lid and let it cook dinner all day on low. When we arrive at our campsite in the afternoon, dinner is ready to go.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 01:08 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I used to have a Class B with just one 12v lead acid wet battery with an 800w inverter to operate a TV that sat above the galley counter. I could plug a crockpot in the outlet and slow cook our evening dinner while driving. The crockpot sat in the sink braced with cans and such so it would not move around.

That was my one battery solution. I've had an 800ah of lithium ion battery bank for 6 years and have an all electric van with a portable electrical induction cooktop I can use outside, convection/microwave oven and built-in Keurig coffee maker. Now the 3 qt. Instant Pot is one of our mainstays in the van and it prepares food instantly with more versatility compared to a crockpot. We also have a Ninja Foodi 5 in 1 we haven't carried yet but it has become indispensable in our cooking arsenal at home.

I still carry a cast Iron Dutch oven for charcoal and a grill to place over a wood fire pit and a host of weenie/marshmallow wires and those sandwich pie irons. I don't carry any propane or accessories.
Old 02-19-2021, 05:12 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
That was my one battery solution. I've had an 800ah of lithium ion battery bank for 6 years and have an all electric van with a portable electrical induction cooktop I can use outside, convection/microwave oven and built-in Keurig coffee maker. Now the 3 qt. Instant Pot is one of our mainstays in the van and it prepares food instantly with more versatility compared to a crockpot. We also have a Ninja Foodi 5 in 1 we haven't carried yet but it has become indispensable in our cooking arsenal at home.

I still carry a cast Iron Dutch oven for charcoal and a grill to place over a wood fire pit and a host of weenie/marshmallow wires and those sandwich pie irons. I don't carry any propane or accessories.
Does the pot in the sink picture represent on the road arrangement, this pot could fly through windshield in a head on accident.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 04:10 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Does the pot in the sink picture represent on the road arrangement, this pot could fly through windshield in a head on accident.
On the road. There are many things that could fly in a Class B van including the sink cover that was off in this photo. The sink was midway back in a 22 ft. van. If you want to be a cautious willy nilly I doubt you would be comfortable in any motorhome that was made to be livable with wall hangings and other doodads you frequently see.
Old 02-20-2021, 06:35 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
On the road. There are many things that could fly in a Class B van including the sink cover that was off in this photo. The sink was midway back in a 22 ft. van. If you want to be a cautious willy nilly I doubt you would be comfortable in any motorhome that was made to be livable with wall hangings and other doodads you frequently see.
Not all Bs, we tend to be very cautious regarding potentially flying objects. Our camper was designed from ground up for 3G or higher and all hazardous projectiles are in cabinets, drawers, strapped or somehow secured. But, the longest trip for us was monthlong, so longer time could make us less cautious.

We are spending big chunk of money for willy nilly car safety, front bags, side bags, car ahead, TPMS, lane departure, or blind spot warnings and get exposed to a flying “scythe”.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:56 AM   #18

You will have no problem. We always start trips with dinner cooking in the crock pot in the sink. Wouldn't try it while parked, but great to have hot meal ready when we stop��
WilmaKerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:58 AM   #19

Never had a problem, pot fits snugly in the sink.
WilmaKerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:50 AM   #20
Platinum Member

Thanks for pointing out the projectile risk George, I appreciate the reminder. We're free to take on whatever risks we want but with a bit of advice and gained knowledge we're at least making informed decisions.

& add me to the list of those suggesting use of an Instant Pot. We haven't had the opportunity to use one while camping yet but it sees pretty much daily use at home since purchase late last month based on this forum's advice.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote