Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2018, 12:43 AM   #1

Default Do I need a Convection Microwave ?

Hi, we are making our list of Needs and Wants for your first Class B, and I am wondering how well the Convection Oven really work on the convection / microwaves.

We like to bake our own bread at home, and there is nothing like fresh homemade biscuits or scones on a Sunday morning, is that something you have tried (baking I mean)

If you have a convection / microwave and have tried using it as a oven, what do you make/bake/roast/cook , how well does or did it work?

Pretty much any input in that regard will be helpful.

Thanks
RICK & NICOLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:21 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Microwaves and Convection require 120 V. You will either have to get that from shore power, a generator, or good batteries with an inverter.

If you are going to utilize RV campsites with shore power

OR if you are going to be camped far away from other people so that you can run your generator without making them hate you

OR if you have the funds to buy a bank of batteries and an inverter, you are good.

Otherwise, I'm not sure how much you would use it.

Personally, I don't bake at home and have even less interest in heating up my van so I didn't get one. But then, we don't live in it - it's for short (less than 2-weeks at a time) trips so even if I wanted biscuits, I could wait a week to bake them at home. You might have a different use in mind.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:48 PM   #3
BBQ
Platinum Member

Old 07-16-2018, 07:13 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Default Convection & Microwave Combo?

My RV came with a combination microwave/convection oven. I've used it several times for various things and it works great. It does heat up the RV, so keep that in mind.
soohma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:50 AM   #5
Silver Member

We have the Travato 59K, which comes with a convection / microwave. It wasn’t on our list of requirements, but we are glad to have it. We have been on the road for almost 6 weeks, and have used it several times. (On a long trip we will stay at a mix of campgrounds that range from no hookups to full hookups.)
gk&hc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk&hc View Post
We have the Travato 59K, which comes with a convection / microwave. It wasn’t on our list of requirements, but we are glad to have it. We have been on the road for almost 6 weeks, and have used it several times. (On a long trip we will stay at a mix of campgrounds that range from no hookups to full hookups.)
Thanks for sharing !

The 59k is on our short list, how do you like it?, it will just be the two of us and our 28lb dog, so it should be more than roomy enough.

I like that it is "extended season" even if it is not 4 season, since we can travel year around, and even in the southwest it gets COLD at night and at the higher elevations. Of course it freezes even here in Texas in the winter.

Let me know how you like your 59k, my wife is a bit concerned by the smallish black tank, but you really can't do much bigger in most B's.

I of course would prefer Lithium Batteries and underhood Generator (but not for the price of a 59KL).

How do you feel about the Onan Generator? How often do you need to use it when you have no hook ups? and of course the sound / vibration ?

Thanks Again, and happy travels !
Old 07-17-2018, 05:02 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK & NICOLE View Post
The 59k is on our short list, how do you like it?, it will just be the two of us and our 28lb dog, so it should be more than roomy enough.
If you're traveling with a dog, one of the advantages of the 59K is that the beds are high enough that the pup can sit up on the bed and watch the world go by.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
If you're traveling with a dog, one of the advantages of the 59K is that the beds are high enough that the pup can sit up on the bed and watch the world go by.
Thanks,

That is so true, he does like to see the world (when he isn't curled up sleeping).
Old 07-18-2018, 12:06 AM   #9
Silver Member

Quote:
Thanks for sharing !

I like that it is "extended season" even if it is not 4 season, since we can travel year around, and even in the southwest it gets COLD at night and at the higher elevations. Of course it freezes even here in Texas in the winter.

Let me know how you like your 59k, my wife is a bit concerned by the smallish black tank, but you really can't do much bigger in most B's.

I of course would prefer Lithium Batteries and underhood Generator (but not for the price of a 59KL).

How do you feel about the Onan Generator? How often do you need to use it when you have no hook ups? and of course the sound / vibration ?

Thanks Again, and happy travels !
We are very happy with the 59K. We like the floor plan, with the windows on all sides. The bathroom is very comfortable to use for a class B. On our current trip, we have taken all our showers in the Travato. I usually empty the black tank every 3 or 4 days (although according to the tank level indicator it could go longer). I will use the campground bathrooms for more serious business, but my wife rarely uses anything but the Travato. One of the nice features of the 59K is the black tank flush port on the outside of the camper, which makes it easy to maintain the tank.

The generator is noisy (mostly to people outside the camper), so I use it sparingly. On our current trip, we only used it once to run the microwave. We can go 2-3 days on the AGM batteries (depending on the sunlight). When we don't have hookups we don't use the toaster, rice cooker, etc. Most of our cooking is done outside on a grill or Coleman stove, anyway. Our generator has been dependable, though. Our primary usage of the generator in the past has been to recharge the batteries.

I do all the cooking on our trips, so my meal planning takes into account if we have electrical hookups. We rarely eat out while traveling.

When we get home from our current trip, I'll post more information about our Travato experiences. We spent a month in Newfoundland (and Labrador), and while the northeast was baking in a heat wave, we where dealing with temperatures in the 30s, 40s, 50s, plus snow at the end of June.

Howard
gk&hc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk&hc View Post
We are very happy with the 59K. We like the floor plan, with the windows on all sides. The bathroom is very comfortable to use for a class B. On our current trip, we have taken all our showers in the Travato. I usually empty the black tank every 3 or 4 days (although according to the tank level indicator it could go longer). I will use the campground bathrooms for more serious business, but my wife rarely uses anything but the Travato. One of the nice features of the 59K is the black tank flush port on the outside of the camper, which makes it easy to maintain the tank.

The generator is noisy (mostly to people outside the camper), so I use it sparingly. On our current trip, we only used it once to run the microwave. We can go 2-3 days on the AGM batteries (depending on the sunlight). When we don't have hookups we don't use the toaster, rice cooker, etc. Most of our cooking is done outside on a grill or Coleman stove, anyway. Our generator has been dependable, though. Our primary usage of the generator in the past has been to recharge the batteries.

I do all the cooking on our trips, so my meal planning takes into account if we have electrical hookups. We rarely eat out while traveling.

When we get home from our current trip, I'll post more information about our Travato experiences. We spent a month in Newfoundland (and Labrador), and while the northeast was baking in a heat wave, we where dealing with temperatures in the 30s, 40s, 50s, plus snow at the end of June.

Howard
The 50's sounds great, today we hit 105 at home so escaping a heat wave sounds enticing.

We like to cook, so we do not plan to eat out while traveling on a regular basis, which is why we are transitioning to a RV instead of Road Trips in a smallish SUV.

What year is your 59K? I have looked a the newest (2019 model year) they have changed the windows a bit, I think to standardize some sizes, etc. I believe they were a little bigger in prior years, but still not bad, still have a good open feeling.

We are going to check out some of the various Hymer brands and floorplans to see the quality and fit and finish and possible Pleasureway even.

Thanks Again,
Rick
Old 07-18-2018, 11:31 AM   #11
Platinum Member

We got a convection microwave in our Travato K. Because I don't cook from scratch much in the van, I use the ordinary microwave often and love it -- with alternatives for when we don't have shore power. In cool weather, I've used the convection to make refrigerated dough cookies. It doesn't bake faster or at cooler temps like "real" convections are supposed to. I do not use it in warm weather. It really gets hot and heats up the van. For that reason, I think the convection is a fun extra luxury but isn't super useful. If my van didn't have room for the bigger convection unit, I wouldn't miss it.

However, we thought both the TV and microwave in the van were ridiculous elements but after a year we appreciate them both.
Saldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saldar View Post
We got a convection microwave in our Travato K. Because I don't cook from scratch much in the van, I use the ordinary microwave often and love it -- with alternatives for when we don't have shore power. In cool weather, I've used the convection to make refrigerated dough cookies. It doesn't bake faster or at cooler temps like "real" convections are supposed to. I do not use it in warm weather. It really gets hot and heats up the van. For that reason, I think the convection is a fun extra luxury but isn't super useful. If my van didn't have room for the bigger convection unit, I wouldn't miss it.

However, we thought both the TV and microwave in the van were ridiculous elements but after a year we appreciate them both.
Thanks, I was thinking the same as you on the TV ( I know we would use the microwave, at least with shore power) but I was iffy on the TV, though my wife (who rarely watched TV) was in the Pro TV team.

So I am now firmly on the yes to TV and Microwave team. But still on the fence for Convection Oven, if it is already there, Great, if not, we will live.

Rick
Old 07-18-2018, 02:28 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
...We like to bake our own bread at home, and there is nothing like fresh homemade biscuits or scones on a Sunday morning, is that something you have tried (baking I mean)...
In case you don't get a convection oven, but still want your Sunday morning biscuits...

Stove Top Biscuits Recipe - Genius Kitchen
Old 07-18-2018, 03:24 PM   #14
Platinum Member

We have a RoadTrek 210P equipped with a convection/microwave and use it frequently. We probably use the convection more than the microwave. We have done; Scones, biscuits, meat loaf, baked fish, banana bread, pizza. All with a high degree of success. Of course, we do reheats, coffee warm up, etc in the microwave. In no hookup campgrounds no one gets pissed if we confine our genny use to the dinner hour...in the morning we make our coffee on the inverter.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:20 AM   #15

Thanks,

I will keep my fingers crossed that a Convection / Micro will be in out final choice.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:12 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Default Depends on what you want to cook....

Quote:
Hi, we are making our list of Needs and Wants for your first Class B, and I am wondering how well the Convection Oven really work on the convection / microwaves.

We like to bake our own bread at home, and there is nothing like fresh homemade biscuits or scones on a Sunday morning, is that something you have tried (baking I mean)

If you have a convection / microwave and have tried using it as a oven, what do you make/bake/roast/cook , how well does or did it work?

Pretty much any input in that regard will be helpful.

Thanks
The benefit of the convection microwave is that the "convection part" actually will brown meats...

We have one and it works well.

I can't see why you wouldn't want that. And as far as power is concerned, you'll need the generator or shore power to run the straight microwave oven without convection... SO, you might as well have the combo.

Good luck.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:03 AM   #17
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
. . .

I can't see why you wouldn't want that. And as far as power is concerned, you'll need the generator or shore power to run the straight microwave oven without convection... SO, you might as well have the combo.

Good luck.

A convection oven is great; it makes great meals. I use it all the time.

In terms of power, there is a difference...

when people use the MW, they will have it on for, say, 5 min?

when people use the convection, they will use it for 30 min or more.

YMMV
Old 07-20-2018, 01:19 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Default Why would you think they are ridiculous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saldar View Post

OK..read this comment and wondered "WHY" you would think that?

Think of your van as a "boat" on wheels.....you can take it anywhere and live in it for a while.
Also, it's a great thing if there's an emergency at home and you have to leave and live in the camper for a while....
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:06 PM   #19
Platinum Member

We have the microwave/convection in our '15 210. We weren't swayed by it's being there or not. After reading the booklets, we set out to use the convection- we are now believers. We don't use as much as some, but the sheer convenience is a great addition. Ron
Old 07-22-2018, 05:06 PM   #20
Platinum Member

We use our convection oven all the time. Corn bread and biscuits are a staple for us, especially when boondocking and unable to get fresh bread or baked goods. We often travel with a bag of cookie dough in the freezer, portioned out in balls and ready to pop a few in the oven. We have a lithium battery bank so can bake without shore power or running generator.

Regarding TV: We don't watch much broadcast TV but having some shows and movies downloaded and playable on the TV can be a nice break when stuck inside due to bad weather, We camp all year and nothing cozier on a sub-freezing evening than a warm Class B, a good movie and a freshly baked chocolate chip cookie.
Belzar is offline   Reply With Quote