Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2021, 03:51 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Ice Cream maker?

I was looking at some of the (electric) compressor style Ice Cream makers and wonder if anyone has had any luck with them. The compressor style does not require the bowl to be frozen prior to making the ice cream. The name brand ones are a bit pricey, but some knock offs that get good reviews on AMZ seem like they may do the trick. Any one have personal experience, I'd love to hear about it.
Kegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:51 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I have a Cuisinart compressor ice cream maker that replaced an older freeze-first unit of the same brand. It is a night-and-day difference. Making ice-cream takes no more than 5 minutes to get started, we find ourselves making it a lot more often (with about 1/4 of the sugar used in commercial ice cream which tastes better to us).

The compressor versions cost a little over double but are so much more useful.

Biggest drawback in my opinion is the cleanup. the ice-cream always overflows its bowl and needs a lot of wiping down to get it out of all the crevices.
jakegw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:40 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakegw2 View Post
I have a Cuisinart compressor ice cream maker that replaced an older freeze-first unit of the same brand. It is a night-and-day difference. Making ice-cream takes no more than 5 minutes to get started, we find ourselves making it a lot more often (with about 1/4 of the sugar used in commercial ice cream which tastes better to us).

Biggest drawback in my opinion is the cleanup. the ice-cream always overflows its bowl and needs a lot of wiping down to get it out of all the crevices.

How much power to do they use?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:33 PM   #4
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakegw2 View Post

Interesting machine, I can see B applications. I curious, what do you at home?

Thanks.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 05:20 PM   #5
Platinum Member

In a restaurant I worked in we made one homemade specialty flavor ice cream of the week. We used a Lello Musso Pola 5030,,,, Pricey machine but it made as good as any premium ice cream that I have had ,,, I will have to admite to eating my fair share of ice cream. Maye even a couple of gallons more than my fair share. I also had a friend who used a less expenive machine ,,,not as good of a result. Ice cream is tricky to make ,,The right amount of sugar ,the right amount of air, milk-fat contant, a good scraper is imporantant etc.
The Lello Musso is not a commereical machine although at it's price you might think it is.
other then that at home I have used the freeze the bowl type NO comparaision with the Lello Musso. But better than some storebrands.
Anyway goo luck
m

Anyway good luck
mangomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 06:15 PM   #6
Bronze Member

How about this? No electricity required!

https://www.amazon.com/Freeze-Cream-...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
ballbraindogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 09:56 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballbraindogs View Post
How about this? No electricity required!

https://www.amazon.com/Freeze-Cream-...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
I looked at that and said nah. That's for kids. If I was going to do that, I'd just get one of the old hand cranked wooden tub ones we had growing up...until I looked at the price. They're around $400 with some approaching $600! How is that possible? How can you buy an electric compressor cooled ice cream maker for under $100 and a human powered one is 4 times the price?

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 04:21 AM   #8
Bronze Member

Kids??? Who says adults can't have fun around the campfire!!!
ballbraindogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:50 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Eric1514 ... I think there is a few things to think about
Regarding the price of wooden "old fashion I.C. makers ...
You may be comparing the most expenive Old Fashion to the cheapest "compresser" model.
And, if you do get a $100 dollar Compressor ice cream maker
I would be interested in your review of it.
.....two things I left out of my post on the orginal question
If you eat the iceam cream that you have made . shortly after you have made it ,,,,you mostly will be happy with any ice cream maker.
Take a good look at the quantities of ice cream the machine will make. It varies alot.
We bought my sister the ball type ice cream maker for a joke gift, a couple of years ago.
They used it once when thet had some friends that have kids over. The report was " It makes good mikeshakes" Keep in mind it was a gift so she might have been being kind :^)
Good luck with your hunt for THE ice cream maker
m
mangomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 04:37 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomike View Post
Eric1514 ... I think there is a few things to think about
Regarding the price of wooden "old fashion I.C. makers ...
You may be comparing the most expenive Old Fashion to the cheapest "compresser" model.
And, if you do get a $100 dollar Compressor ice cream maker
I would be interested in your review of it.
.....two things I left out of my post on the orginal question
If you eat the iceam cream that you have made . shortly after you have made it ,,,,you mostly will be happy with any ice cream maker.
Take a good look at the quantities of ice cream the machine will make. It varies alot.
We bought my sister the ball type ice cream maker for a joke gift, a couple of years ago.
They used it once when thet had some friends that have kids over. The report was " It makes good mikeshakes" Keep in mind it was a gift so she might have been being kind :^)
Good luck with your hunt for THE ice cream maker
m
I have one of the wooden bucket type that has an electric motor one it but I haven't used it in decades. But I remember when we were kids, the neighbor's dad had a hand cranked version and a group of us would take turns cranking it. I just thought I look them up on amazon to see if they're still around.

Type in "Hand cranked ice cream maker" into the search and this is the first hit.

6 qt LIFETIME Ice Cream Maker - Hand Crank $340 and it's not even wood.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote