Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2019, 04:31 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpress View Post
Thanks for the precooking ideas. I actually do not like cooking all that much, even thought we do that a bit. What I am really looking for are recipes that I can prepare in the RV from scratch, with little is any clean up required. We tend to drive a lot and stay only 2 or 3 days in any one place. that leaves plenty of time to hit the Safeway so as to restock with Veg, meat, etc which requires less refer-box space. So far I use disposable cooking bowls and do a lot of oatmeal and yogurt for breakfasts, sandwiches for lunch, and whatever for dinner. I tend to use a lot of potato and steamed veg. But, meat is a problem in the microwave.

I have given up on slow cookers and instapots because of the cleanup required. I want to stick to outdoor grills and indoor microwave.

Any ideas out there for 2 or 4 ingredient dinners in the microwave with disposable everything?
What about using those slow cook liners in an Instapot? You can just use and toss? I heat hot water in my little electric kettle, and wipe/wash out things in a bowl..or just wipe out Instapot w/ hot water..I buy frozen individual fully-cooked Pot Roasts that are easy to Microwave..add potatoes and carrots to a steam-bag, pop that into a microwave...and bingo!!!
NFRicaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:20 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRicaS View Post
What about using those slow cook liners in an Instapot? You can just use and toss? I heat hot water in my little electric kettle, and wipe/wash out things in a bowl..or just wipe out Instapot w/ hot water..I buy frozen individual fully-cooked Pot Roasts that are easy to Microwave..add potatoes and carrots to a steam-bag, pop that into a microwave...and bingo!!!
I don't think using the bags in an Instant Pot would allow for a proper pressure cooking seal but others who may have tried can chime in...
LimboMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 05:38 AM   #23

I have a small 3qt Instapot. I love that I can sauté and cook everything in the one pot. Meat, potatoes, vegetables. Pasta, soup, anything using fresh ingredients. If I don’t have hot water, I wipe or rinse out the pot the best I can and then fill it with water and heat the water in the pot, adding soap.

I use paper plates, plastic ware etc. but I’m more than willing to clean the one pot for a good home cooked meal. On long driving days, I microwave a frozen dinner or warm up something precooked from grocery. I also eat lots of premade salads in bags. And then there is always soup, crackers, cheese and fruit!
nnewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 12:04 AM   #24
Bronze Member

Thumbs up instant pot

Thanks nnewman,
Do you use the instant pot for mixing things up before you cook as well? I normally have to use a cutting board (paper plate) and a 1.5 or 2 qt mixing bowl (glass) which I have to clean. We have had great success with microwaving pork and chicken in cooking bags in a glass cooking dish. The only thing I need to wash is the cutting board, the utensils, and a small mixing bowl which i use to prepare things before they go into the bag and microwave. I like cooking in the bag as it steams the food and I end up with really moist chicken and pork. But, if I can get similar results with a small instant pot I may try it. I have given up on the crock pot as its too messy and takes too long to cook. It's great at home, but not so on the road.
I still want to have as little as possible to clean, and I do not care about throwing things away afterwards...
richpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 03:41 AM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpress View Post
Thanks nnewman,
Do you use the instant pot for mixing things up before you cook as well? I normally have to use a cutting board (paper plate) and a 1.5 or 2 qt mixing bowl (glass) which I have to clean. We have had great success with microwaving pork and chicken in cooking bags in a glass cooking dish. The only thing I need to wash is the cutting board, the utensils, and a small mixing bowl which i use to prepare things before they go into the bag and microwave. I like cooking in the bag as it steams the food and I end up with really moist chicken and pork. But, if I can get similar results with a small instant pot I may try it. I have given up on the crock pot as its too messy and takes too long to cook. It's great at home, but not so on the road.
I still want to have as little as possible to clean, and I do not care about throwing things away afterwards...
I also have the smaller InstaPot...SO much you can make, cook, steam, etc., all easy peasy. Can do some awesome breakfast items as well...have an anodized inner pot, plus a steamer basket that fits inside. Plus ,lots of great recipes online..you’ll love it!!
NFRicaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:25 AM   #26

Send a message via Skype™ to Clar1996

richpress, I also tried cooking bags for a microwave when I was extremely tired after my studies and browsing of countless paperhelp reviews websites. As well as you I wanted to have a minimum of things to clean. So I found thesebags pretty decent. Do you have any special that you prefer?
Clar1996 is offline   Reply With Quote