Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2006, 05:27 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Powdered Milk

I think it's pretty handy to have powdered milk in your RV.

I'll put it in my coffee if I don't want it black.

We pre-mix pancake mix with powdered milk in ziplock containers before a trip so all we have to do is add an egg and water when we want pancakes for breakfast.

Regular milk takes up a lot of fridge space if you're trying to pack enough food for a week.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:45 PM   #2
Gold Member

Default Re: Powdered Milk

Yea ya i know old thread... I'm claiming New-kid-on-block immunity

One think Cari & I include is the 8 oz Almond Milk cartons. We have been drinking Almond milk now for about 20 years and love it. Haven't had cows milk except for rare occasions in all that time. Anywhoooo.... these little cartons usually have a ~1 year out pull date and the taste is really great IMO. The unopened cartons do not need refrigeration and can be stashed under a bunk or out of the way place. Here is a _link at amazon_ for one such product. Cari & I will usually split an 8oz carton for use in our coffee or morning cereal.

Here is a picture of what i'm talking about...you might find similar products in the health section of your local grocery outlet.

Cheers,
Thom
Old 02-05-2014, 11:29 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I switched to an Almond milk/drink a few years ago. I like it. The price is not bad at Costco.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:31 PM   #4

Haven't tried almond milk but I like the idea of shelf stable products. Found out my local dollar store carries Gossner Foods shelf stable milk - I think they have both 2% and whole. At $1 per quart, that's about the normal price for a gallon of regular milk and would free up a lot of fridge space. Borden also makes a similar product but it's considerably more expensive. Both are supposed to be good for 12-18 months. Gonna try some out on our next trip.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:27 AM   #5
Platinum Member

I learned about NIDO when visiting some third-world places. That's what they use when refrigeration is not dependable. I carry a can of it in the motorhome for times when I don't want to go out for milk. It's powdered whole milk, not skim. Mixes up very well, and great in coffee or for cooking.
Easily found in most groceries, especially those that cater to Hispanic folks. My Wally has it.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:57 AM   #6

Just posting back about the Gossner Foods milk from the local Dollar Tree store. Last time I was there, they didn't have any whole milk but did have the 2% and no fat variety. Chilled it and drank it. It was great - I was kind of surprised. The milk I bought had a 'best by' date of fifteen months out, but I've heard of people drinking it two years after the 'best by' date and reporting good results. I'll be buying more of this product.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:33 PM   #7
Platinum Member

My wife will absolutely buy no none major American brand or generic brand food item from any dollar store. She claims after reading the labels that most of that stuff is imported from places like China with suspect food quality controls and purity. Their products aren't cheap for no reason she says. I don't do a lot of the food shopping like that so go with the flow. I do agree the less artificial and processed food the better.

As for almond milk, I have a couple things to say about it. First, I don't mind the taste but it is lousy with cereals like Cheerios in that it soaks into the cereal immediately and turns it to mush. My wife drinks the almond milk. I like 2% real milk in my cereal which is about the only time I have it.

I have a big enough refrigerator anyway to not have to worry about carrying powder milk.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 02:17 AM   #8
Platinum Member

I've found almond milk great for the cereals I like - hardy stuff like granolas and brans. Probably they hold up better. I've not cooked with it, so have no idea how it does there.

I've become more of a food snob as I get older. I want more fresh whole foods and stuff where I can be assured of where it came from. That pretty much precludes the Dollar Store and Walmart fare.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 04:39 PM   #9
Bronze Member

I am chef of 29 years, Almond milk , soy milk are over processed unnatural things I will never touch them.
Nutritionally regular non fat milk (in canada called skim) is far better for you than any of those products unless you are lactose intolerant, there no good reason to consume them.
Eat real food.
try to milk an almond some time while you are it ,lol
GtDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:37 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtDad View Post
I am chef of 29 years, Almond milk , soy milk are over processed unnatural things I will never touch them.
Nutritionally regular non fat milk (in canada called skim) is far better for you than any of those products unless you are lactose intolerant, there no good reason to consume them.
Eat real food.
try to milk an almond some time while you are it ,lol
Actually if you do a little research you will find that non-fat (skim) milk isn't that great either. I discovered that while chatting with a bistro at a coffee shop in Jasper, AB last month. Now I only drink whole milk -- now that's natural real food.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:35 AM   #11
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Actually if you do a little research you will find that non-fat (skim) milk isn't that great either. I discovered that while chatting with a bistro at a coffee shop in Jasper, AB last month. Now I only drink whole milk -- now that's natural real food.
Do a little research ? I am professional red seal Chef , I cook for movie stars, singers, directors all of which have some obscure and needy diets.
Including, celiac ,diabetic, Ibs macro vegan etc..
Some bistro in jasper does not spell expert.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:59 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Ah, but you never know who you might be talking to. I once stopped at a little neighborhood bistro in London, England well off the tourist trail and it turned out the chef/owner had worked several years in the White House kitchen. People you encounter in places like Jasper are often interesting people with extraordinary backgrounds. Most people like that were not born and raised in the area rubes.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:26 AM   #13
Bronze Member

Exactly
Understandable as I have been there.
I have read quite a few milk/nutrition etc studies. There is no real evidence that skim milk is worse than whole milk. It has a lot less calories period. The studies I read that favored whole was because they assumed people would eat other bad foods or drink lot more skim milk than would of whole milk. Or Homogenized as called in canada.
That is psych issue not a dietary issue.
many cultures around the world subsist on different animals milks.
There is simple plain truth and that is real food not faux foods like almond milk, soy milk , and on are just not good for you.
People need to wise up cook real food from basic real ingredients.
Unless you lactose intolerant dairy is very good for you in the proper amounts as long as it is from a good source.
Even then there lactaid an enzyme pill that you can take to properly digest milk.
I have a friend that uses them all the time no problem.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:43 AM   #14
Platinum Member

GtDad - I was not questioning your professional chef skills or suggesting that the barista I talked to was an expert. I'm sorry if I offended you in any way.

My point was that non-fat or skim milk in its natural form is an unappealing watery liquid. Processed milk solids and vitamins are added to make it a marketable product. Whole milk is a less processed food.

BTW - welcome to the forum
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:50 AM   #15
Site Team

Far safer to stick with beer.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 05:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgraham View Post
I learned about NIDO when visiting some third-world places. That's what they use when refrigeration is not dependable. I carry a can of it in the motorhome for times when I don't want to go out for milk. It's powdered whole milk, not skim. Mixes up very well, and great in coffee or for cooking.
Easily found in most groceries, especially those that cater to Hispanic folks. My Wally has it.
When I worked in Uganda in the early '60s and then in Saudi Arabia in mid-'60s, Nido was about all we could get for milk. It's great stuff. I'd forgotten about Nido but will look into it for carrying in my RT 190 when traveling. Thanks for the reminder.
Mycopsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 11:41 PM   #17
Gold Member

We drink raw goat milk and at times, coconut milk. Just trying to figure out how to strap the goats to the van, safely.
sheral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:45 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

I've only ever consumed the milk of human kindness, when I can find it.

Regards,
Macbeth.
Old 01-14-2023, 12:19 AM   #19
Bronze Member

Just noticed this thread and I can offer this to the discussion. There is this series of small cook books titled "101 things to do with.........."

In this case I'm looking at my copy of "101 things to do with Powdered Milk".

Recipes include making buttermilk, cream cheese, yogurt, evaporated milk/Sweetened condensed milk, whipping cream, sour cream, cottage cheese and a host of recipes.
Granted it may be less expensive to buy the products mentioned in their original form, but if you are in a remote area and don't intend to visit the store frequently this cook book may be a handy item for your RV kitchen. When I made yogurt like Dannon's, I
cost it out to about .37 cent. Using diluted pie filling for the fruit on the bottom type, it was around .52 cent per container.

101 things to do with Powdered Milk

https://www.amazon.com/101-Things-Do...05782133&psc=1
Dee Jsaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 01:45 AM   #20
Platinum Member

All very interesting.
VHT shelf stable milk is good for many cooking applications and takes no 'fridge space. Nestle' Media Crema is in small tins and with a bit of lemon or lime squeeze is "instant sour cream." Sits on the shelf until you need it. Also great for many recipe options. With an oven, you can even create a fair rendition of a Mexican Flan. Probably not in a "B."

But, remember we are the only mammals that drink milk after weaned and into adulthood. Hmm? Wonder what is the deal?

Cheers - Jim
phantomjock is offline   Reply With Quote