Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2021, 12:08 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default WFPB - Whole food plant based diet

A whole food plant based diet is: ( source: https://nutritionstudies.org/what-is...nt-based-diet/ )

Quote:
A WFPB diet doesn't include any meat, poultry, fish, dairy, or eggs. It’s not, however, the same as a vegan diet, which is defined only by what it eliminates. A WFPB diet is defined also by what it emphasizes: a large variety of whole foods.

The term “whole” in WFPB describes foods that are minimally processed. This includes as many whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and legumes as you want. It also includes, in moderation: nuts, seeds, avocados, natural sweeteners, and certain soy or wheat products that don’t contain added fat (e.g., tofu).

Heavily processed foods, on the other hand, are not included in a WFPB diet. This means avoiding highly refined grain products (e.g., white rice, white flour), foods containing added sugars or artificial sweeteners (e.g., confectioners sugar, high fructose corn syrup), and foods containing added fat. Yes, even olive oil.

It's a simple concept for better nutrition and better health. No added oils or sugar, eat a wide variety of fresh vegetables and fruits, whole grains, legumes, some very minimally processed foods and moderate amounts of whole foods that are high in saturated fat like nuts and seeds. Emphasis on variety.

If you haven't heard of it or want to learn more then here are some videos to watch:

The Game Changers - https://www.netflix.com/ca/title/81157840

What the Health - https://www.netflix.com/ca/title/80174177

Plantify: Changing Rural Newfoundland's Diet One Veggie at a Time - https://gem.cbc.ca/media/absolutely-...5a-01150100d0a

Dr. Neal Barnard - YouTube

Dr. Anthony Lim - YouTube

Eating You Alive - https://tubitv.com/movies/475193/eating-you-alive

Vegucated - YouTube

Forks over Knives and many more ..........

-------------------------------

We've been eating much better for 1.5 years now with just about zero processed foods in our diet. We only learned about the whole food plant based way of eating just over a month ago and are totally onboard with the concept and lifestyle.

I'm interested in hearing from other forum members about how you continue to eat WFPB while RVing. We eat a wider variety of food now & it's a fair bit of prep. A lot is cooked in an oven now so I guess a big skillet (maybe electric) or wok would be needed as there's no oven in our van. Crock pot maybe? Prepare in advance & freeze? Maybe more salads while on the road?

It could be fun and informative to share some thoughts & ideas here.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:43 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Plantstrong.com is a great resource for Whole Food Plant Based No Oil way of eating. And the Engine2 Books. We’ve been on board for 10 years while also competing at Ironman and other endurance events. Great cholesterol/cardiovascular benefits too. We travel with our InstantPot and air fryer.
AlexJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 11:42 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Thanks for the site info. I remember seeing Rip in The Game Changers movie helping the firefighters.

I'll have to look into Instant Pots and air fryers as I've never had either. A quick search shows both look ideal for this lifestyle.
Old 01-13-2021, 01:26 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I call my eating habit the "perimeter diet", though it's not a diet—it's a way of eating. I focus on the perimeter of the store where the fresh foods are. I avoid boxes and other heavily processed foods, so my prep may be similar to yours..

My biggest issue in the van is fridge space, since the vast majority of my food must be refrigerated. So far, I’ve always been able to get everything in, but I have bought a supplementary 20-qt chest fridge/freezer for next summer. (In winter, there are cool spots).

For cooking inside, I use Instant Pot and microwave as I mostly do at home. I do not use open flame inside, nor any open pan or pot that could leave odors or splatter. Outside (seldom), I use a frying pan. Since you don’t use oils, do you not fry anything?

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 02:27 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I just had a plant based breakfast of Cheerios, pistachios, blueberries and almond milk. If you believe Cheerios lowers cholesterol I probably should have negative cholesterol.

We have an Instant Pot we use almost daily and also carry it in our van. It's great for one-pot meals. This year we bought a Ninja Foodi 5 in 1 but haven't traveled with it yet. It is an air-fryer mostly for us.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:06 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
.....................Since you don’t use oils, do you not fry anything?
We're new to WFPB so still learning a lot. We just use a bit of water instead of oil to sauté vegetables. Part of today's lunch included onions, celery, garlic, zucchini, broccoli, bean sprouts, red peppers & scallions sautéed in a stainless steel frying pan. Add a bit more water if/as needed.

In a baking recipe, my wife took a chance and used chia seeds, flax seeds, sweet potato & parsnip instead of egg, sugar & oil when making corn bread muffins. They turned out great & I really like them.
Old 01-13-2021, 07:42 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
............ My biggest issue in the van is fridge space, since the vast majority of my food must be refrigerated. So far, I’ve always been able to get everything in, but I have bought a supplementary 20-qt chest fridge/freezer for next summer. (In winter, there are cool spots).......................
and good point about fridge space, I hadn't thought of that ..... good idea for supplementary refrigeration too. Are you full time in your van? We'll just be using our van for vacation type travel.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:17 PM   #8
Platinum Member

We are not full-time, but travel year-round as long as 4 months at a time.

You lunch sounds delicious.

If you have a substitute for the oil and butter(I’ve no idea how essential they are.), McCormick's Winter Vegetable Pot Pie is absolutely delicious. Don’t know that I’d make it in the van, though.

https://www.mccormick.com/gourmet/re...etable-pot-pie

Old 01-15-2021, 03:22 PM   #9
Platinum Member

That is a very interesting recipe and easy to adapt for us. I could even see baking it in single serving size casserole dishes. I ran it by the head chef (I'm just the helper!) & she's interested.
Old 01-16-2021, 12:48 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post

I'm interested in hearing from other forum members about how you continue to eat [whichever dietary regime you choose for your own lifestyle] while RVing.

Across the past 5 years, I've developed a thread titled "Ideas for larger-scale meal transport in a [Class B]?" Actually I used "Interstate" in that title, but the principles are all the same regardless of van brand.

That thread contains multiple ideas, but TL;DR -

I've developed a pre-departure preparation and freezing system that allows us to take a large portion of our food on cross-continent off-grid trips. My tools are a FoodSaver vacuum system, a Yeti cooler that we carry on our hitch, a thin plywood mold that conforms to the shape of the Yeti, and an upright freezer in our home that allows me to prepare two 35-pound monolithic blocks of ice that fit the Yeti hand in glove.

The Yeti can keep cube ice for at least a week, but ice monoliths for much longer. Using this system, we can skip the most elaborate preparations which are difficult if not impossible to do off-grid / on the road, and take a lot of meals with us.

Pics of our 2020 ice blocks after a week on the road. Last summer it was even more important that we have this method available to us, because we drove almost 3,000 miles from Houston into eastern Canada and straight into 14-day off-grid quarantine in my undeveloped patch of woods.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 04:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Across the past 5 years, I've developed a thread titled "Ideas for larger-scale meal transport in a [Class B]?" Actually I used "Interstate" in that title, but the principles are all the same regardless of van brand.

That thread contains multiple ideas, but TL;DR -

I've developed a pre-departure preparation and freezing system that allows us to take a large portion of our food on cross-continent off-grid trips. My tools are a FoodSaver vacuum system, a Yeti cooler that we carry on our hitch, a thin plywood mold that conforms to the shape of the Yeti, and an upright freezer in our home that allows me to prepare two 35-pound monolithic blocks of ice that fit the Yeti hand in glove.

The Yeti can keep cube ice for at least a week, but ice monoliths for much longer. Using this system, we can skip the most elaborate preparations which are difficult if not impossible to do off-grid / on the road, and take a lot of meals with us.

Pics of our 2020 ice blocks after a week on the road. Last summer it was even more important that we have this method available to us, because we drove almost 3,000 miles from Houston into eastern Canada and straight into 14-day off-grid quarantine in my undeveloped patch of woods.

Check out https://nutritionfacts.org for an excellent source on WFPB living (Dr. Greger has written a couple of books/cookbooks as well - "How Not to Die", "How Not to Diet"). An important note is he does not endorse or sell any products; any money he makes off his books or seminars goes to charity. As far as following WFPB food on the road, I've used LeafSide products (https://www.goleafside.com) which are based on a WFPB approach and are freeze dried - extremely convenient (just add water and heat or mix in a blender, but are relatively expensive (22 meals for ~$180).
jw1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 04:18 PM   #12
Gold Member

Thank you for this. I accidentally stumbled on this post, and it couldn't come at a more perfect time, as I am in the middle of the throes of trying to figure out what to do with my diet/nutritional needs. I have recently been diagnosed with Hashimoto's and I have to do something about finding a new diet that works. It's so strange but I came across this post and I am very grateful for it, and I'm also looking forward to diving into all of the different links and YouTube videos that you listed. Thank you so much. Very grateful.
VocalVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 04:32 PM   #13
Nan

Default We’ve been WFPB for 3 years

We cook and freeze ahead. Our best appliance is a Vita Mix blender we take with us. We make green shakes with plant based protein powder and frozen fruit. Delicious and easy! We make sure and route through cities with Whole Foods for resupply. Once you get used to it, WFPB is no harder than camping eating a SAD diet. Enjoy! And great health to you!
Nan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 04:38 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw1977 View Post
Check out https://nutritionfacts.org for an excellent source on WFPB living (Dr. Greger has written a couple of books/cookbooks as well - "How Not to Die", "How Not to Diet"). An important note is he does not endorse or sell any products; any money he makes off his books or seminars goes to charity. As far as following WFPB food on the road, I've used LeafSide products (https://www.goleafside.com) which are based on a WFPB approach and are freeze dried - extremely convenient (just add water and heat or mix in a blender, but are relatively expensive (22 meals for ~$180).
I have two unrelated friends who both have severe gluten intolerance. One of them was given up for dead by the medical establishment until she discovered that she could survive on a diet of mostly corn and meat.

I appreciate that you are engaging a dual motivation of trying to plug your preferred diet and Class B logistical ideas for catering to specialized diets. But please understand that your personal preferences will not work for everyone out there. The point is how to carry food creatively in such a limited space. What food people decide to carry is their own business.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 05:45 PM   #15
Silver Member

How interesting to see this post on an RV forum! I have been on a WFPB diet for 25 years this June! I feel great and am in much better health than people I know in my age group (early 60s). It is not difficult once you get the hang of it. But there is a bit of a learning curve. Nowadays, there are vegan options everywhere. So much better for our health, the health of our planet, and, of course, it is also spares animals a miserable life and death. If anyone wants tips or recipes, feel free to message me.
Vee and Zeekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 07:38 PM   #16
Platinum Member

jw1977 - thanks for the links to Nutrition Facts and LeafSide.

Nan - thanks for the encouragement.

Vee and Zeekie - very encouraging post. I hesitated before starting the topic. I didn't want to start a controversial topic & was a bit embarrassed at my own lack of knowledge of what seems to be so obvious. Then I figured some other folks might be just like me and had never even heard of WFPB.

VocalVirgo - Note that all of the WFPB focused sites advise that if you're under doctors care / on any prescriptions etc. then discuss any planned dietary changes with your doctor. One reason is that medication dosages may need to be adjusted as overall health improves. I'm not involved in the health care profession at all so obviously no advice from me.

Elevated thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) and cholesterol is what got us started eating better. My wife's annual checkup results were such that her Doctor wanted an additional test scheduled for when we returned from a winter down south in the RV. Those mid year results confirmed the trend and she decided to change what she was eating. I don't think she has eaten any processed food since then. I was a bit slower coming around to it. The 3rd test for her 5 months later showed positive changes with TSH dropping 4 mIU/L and much better cholesterol numbers. The numbers were back within normal ranges and she's back to annual checks. Numbers still within normal ranges last test.

For us, it's very clear that what we eat directly affects our health. Eating better resulted in a positive turn-around. I'm still so surprised I didn't more fully understand it before. Our recent decision to switch to a WFPB way of eating is the next step. We hope to now prevent future health problems instead of trying or hoping to fix them after they've already occurred.

We're not 100% WFPB yet. 19 meals of 21 per week are WFPB so we're very close. There's some fish & seafood in the freezer that we're trying to use up ........... funny but true!
Old 01-17-2021, 11:45 PM   #17
Bronze Member

I love my WFPB diet. I only exclude grains, starches, and fruits, and add meats, fish, and eggs. We call it Healthy Keto, it is wonderful! I eat only twice a day, never starve, and have a plenty of energy.
MotoVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:32 AM   #18
Platinum Member

I think we are genetically predisposed to differing eating habits. MrNomer is a meat & potatoes guy—the only vegetables he eats regularly are onion, lettuce and tomato. Yet he is trim, excellent blood work, climbed 6 Colorado 14’ers this summer at age 76. I am similarly healthy and climbed 5 of those 14’ers with him, age 73. While I eat many more fruits and vegetables than he, I know I would not fare well physically if I were to give up animal products. My son and DIL are just as healthy on their vegan lifestyle. Whatever works.

Old 01-18-2021, 12:18 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Just a note: A ketogenic diet is very different than a whole food plant based diet.
Ketogenic is high fat, low carbohydrates & high protein.
WFPB is low fat, high carbohydrates & around RDA protein intake.

InterBlog & MsNomer make valid points that diets vary greatly. What works for one may not work for another. Diets are very personal decisions & no one wants to be told what to eat. This topic is about a whole food plant based diet as defined in the first post and how to continue that lifestyle while traveling.

I spent a few hours looking at pressure cookers, air fryers etc. & have a better understanding of what they could do for me. It made me realize that I'm too new to this to know what additional tools, if any, I'll need. I have to think ahead to what summer plates of food will look like for example.

-------------------------

For general nutrition guidelines check out https://www.dietaryguidelines.gov/ to see the US government's new guideline for 2020 to 2025. Also check out the USDA's site: https://www.myplate.gov

Take the quiz to see how you're doing:
https://www.myplate.gov/form/myplate-quiz#question_1

Canada's Food Guide is here: https://food-guide.canada.ca/en/
Canada_food_guide.png

For a plate representation of a whole food plant based diet visit - https://www.pcrm.org/good-nutrition - excellent resources there.
Old 01-18-2021, 12:52 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Last night I threw some veggies, liquid and seasoning into the Instant Pot. Less than an hour later, I had magnificent soup and one pot to wash. It really doesn’t get any easier. White potatoes and sweet potatoes—OMG, they're good.

Bear in mind also that the IP is quite frugal with energy use. The 3-qt that I use in the van is 750W. It runs pretty steady til it gets up to pressure, but from then on, no matter how long it needs to cook, it just blips on occasionally to maintain. If we are driving, we run it then. Also, if you vent outside, you release very little odor/moisture into the van.