Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2018, 09:57 PM   #21
Bronze Member

Of course you need electricity for these but I have a small 4 qt. crock pot with a locking top and a small 4 serving George Foreman Grill with removable plates for easy clean up.
Then I have a small folding metal table which I set up outside and then I can plug in the appliances outside.
ballbraindogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:19 PM   #22

We use a Coleman combo Grill/Stove (has one stove element and BBQ grill). I also have a griddle section that replaces the BBQ grill part (kinda tricky to find sometimes, but super handy.) I pack the whole thing (with the griddle) into the accessory case they sell, and it has a home in my van accessible from the rear door. Propane fueled I use a hose mostly that taps off the chassis propane tank, although I carry a couple of canisters too in case the hose isn't working out at the camp site.

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Camp-...ll+stove&psc=1
Turbowhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 11:47 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowhiz View Post
We use a Coleman combo Grill/Stove (has one stove element and BBQ grill). I also have a griddle section that replaces the BBQ grill part (kinda tricky to find sometimes, but super handy.) I pack the whole thing (with the griddle) into the accessory case they sell, and it has a home in my van accessible from the rear door. Propane fueled I use a hose mostly that taps off the chassis propane tank, although I carry a couple of canisters too in case the hose isn't working out at the camp site.

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Camp-...ll+stove&psc=1
Looks great - but can you tell me, is the tap off your van propane tank high pressure, or do you have to somehow bypass the regulator that I assume must be normally a part of the grill/stove unit?
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:27 PM   #24
Platinum Member

If we are at a camp ground, I use a UCO Flatpack grill (my review here), which is one of the few that can be carried in a Class B that has no exterior storage at all, and very little interior storage to devote to it. In that blog post, I show how I constructed a carry pouch for it. I believe they are now sold with some kind of a storage bag.

But if we are in the woods, we largely cook over campfires such as the one shown below. A simple grate with fold-down legs will suffice.

I do find that having the right supplemental kitchen gear for my needs is just as essential as the question of what I'm cooking on (awkward sentence). I discuss that in a blog post I wrote about spending almost a month off-grid and on the road (here). I won't go anywhere off-grid without my Kelly Kettle, silicone buckets, etc.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:54 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Looks great - but can you tell me, is the tap off your van propane tank high pressure, or do you have to somehow bypass the regulator that I assume must be normally a part of the grill/stove unit?
The tap is high pressure. Its between the shutoff valve and the on chassis regulator.

You are using the regulator supplied on the camp stove.

You use a standard appliance hose like this: (seeing as your in Ontario)

Woods Tree Application Hose, 10-ft | Canadian Tire
Turbowhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:59 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Thanks - looks as though there is not standardisation in this - I just looked at the manual for the PW plateau I wil be getting and it appears that in this case the quick disconnect is on the low pressure side, so I'd need to get whatever bits and pieces necessary to eliminate the regulator on the Coleman.

Thx ........ Brian.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:03 PM   #27

My intention is to camp where Im less likely to have power and 1L propane tanks are super easy and can actually be refilled. I like the propane tanks, as I dont want to carry bags of charcoal or deal with charcoal dust. Just not worth it to me. So, for my RoadTrek, I purchased a folding grill from Walmart. It was only ~$25 and I spruced it up by painting the top a bright fuchsia. (So sue me. I'm a girl. ) I do like the flat pack grills, but ... charcoal. I also ordered from eBay, a $40 Coleman PowerPack stove burner that also uses the 1L propane tanks. Finally, I got a cast iron, double-sided grill/griddle that fits right on the Coleman burner and the grill. So with a pot, I can cook whatever I want. So, super light weight, easy to pack in my RT and easy to use. Works perfectly for me.
BigBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 07:57 AM   #28

Fascinating, I use that same small Iwatani grill myself
drk_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 12:25 AM   #29
Bronze Member

If I'm going to be camping I have a simple grill and I carry a cast iron dutch oven. The grill looks something like a big fly swatter and mounts on a 1/2 inch electricians ground rod.

I was experimenting with foil sheets from Dollar Tree to make a simple smoker.

But if I'm going to travel and cook in the Van I have a two burner propane stove on a cabinet for my kitchenette. I may use a Wok set to make simple easy meals. If I can find foods at fast food places cheaper than I can buy it and cook it or have to refrigerate it until it's used, I eat at those places.
Dee Jsaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 04:51 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
If we are at a camp ground, I use a UCO Flatpack grill (my review here), which is one of the few that can be carried in a Class B that has no exterior storage at all, and very little interior storage to devote to it. In that blog post, I show how I constructed a carry pouch for it. I believe they are now sold with some kind of a storage bag.

But if we are in the woods, we largely cook over campfires such as the one shown below. A simple grate with fold-down legs will suffice.

I do find that having the right supplemental kitchen gear for my needs is just as essential as the question of what I'm cooking on (awkward sentence). I discuss that in a blog post I wrote about spending almost a month off-grid and on the road (here). I won't go anywhere off-grid without my Kelly Kettle, silicone buckets, etc.

Well, shoot, on this resurrected thread, I note that I recently bought the entire Breeo Y-series bundle - portable grill, sear plate, grate, stew pot, carrying case, and accessories. See the campfire in the photo above? We are doing away with that as the main cooking spot on our off-grid property, and putting the Breeo system in its place (campfires will be restricted to the nearby lakeshore).

The first obvious question is — how do we fit that Breeo carry case in a Class B?

Well, for extended off-grid travel, we began towing a small utility trailer that contains our supplemental solar and lithium battery (the EcoFlow Delta Pro discussed on another thread), MANY camping supplies, bicycles, a kayak, a 150 cc motor scooter which serves as our toad, and now the Breeo. Even if we were not using this trailer, we could secure the Breeo on our hitch carrier.

I have not yet had a chance to put this through its cooking paces, but I am very much looking forward to that. All I need is an extended vacation.

Here’s a pic of the Breeo on my back patio:

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 12:04 PM   #31
Platinum Member

This gear dates me.......It fits in the drawer under the passenger seat.
Old 02-14-2023, 09:18 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Default dual fuel stove

I have tried several stoves, in my opinion this one is the best for single burner use.

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-30000...s%2C842&sr=8-2
jakegw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 12:52 AM   #33
Platinum Member

One of my favorites is a Dutch oven with charcoals top and bottom. Scrape the rocks away in the campsite driveway, lay down the charcoals and when you are through replace the rocks. I make stew and pizza this way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg David's Driveway Hot Stew (1).jpeg (351.1 KB, 13 views)
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 12:05 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakegw2 View Post
I have tried several stoves, in my opinion this one is the best for single burner use.

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-30000...s%2C842&sr=8-2
I have that same stove - it is a good one for sure. I believe that is the only remaining white gas stove still sold by Coleman. I also have a Peak 1 which is good but no longer available from Coleman. There are now a plethora of Chinese knockoffs available.
Old 02-15-2023, 12:06 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
One of my favorites is a Dutch oven with charcoals top and bottom. Scrape the rocks away in the campsite driveway, lay down the charcoals and when you are through replace the rocks. I make stew and pizza this way.
That is a great idea. When you are done and clean up there would be no footprint.
Old 03-28-2023, 07:55 PM   #36
Bronze Member

Way back when I was a kid in Boy Scouts I purchased a simple stove that stores in a can for my back pack. I still use it from time to time when I travel in my Van. I use my old mess kit with it and make simple foods at the road side rest stops.

It's called a "L'il Scout and I think I may have paid a couple of bucks for it new.

It's sweet & simple and gets plenty of looks from others.
Dee Jsaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 12:52 AM   #37
Silver Member

All inspiring to see!

I bought my van specifically to fit under most drive- throughs..
tarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 04:42 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Jsaan View Post
Way back when I was a kid in Boy Scouts I purchased a simple stove that stores in a can for my back pack. I still use it from time to time when I travel in my Van. I use my old mess kit with it and make simple foods at the road side rest stops.

It's called a "L'il Scout and I think I may have paid a couple of bucks for it new.

It's sweet & simple and gets plenty of looks from others.
That's a neat little set up

Move-On-uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 04:09 PM   #39

Problem with relying on cheap fast food is it will eventually take a toll on your body.

If you can cook some fresh food - it's always worth it
Move-On-uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 02:02 AM   #40
Silver Member

We have a 65+ year old Coleman 2, burner, white gas stove. I was about 5 when I accompanied my father to buy it and a Coleman gas lantern. A bit fussy to use, but as reliable as a stone.
Sleeping Dog is offline   Reply With Quote