Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2006, 11:03 PM   #1

Default 1996 Roadtrek 190 Popular Dodge

We bought our '96 Roadtrek for $22k. It had 60k miles. We are the 3rd owner. It was in very good condition inside & out. The quality of the interior has held up well - cabinetry, upholstery, curtain fabric, etc.

This was our first RV.

We've put 10k miles on it, with no mechanical problems. The engine is powerful & we can cruise at 75 mph when we want to. All the appliances still work.

It does squeak & rattle on bumpy roads, but not enough to spoil our fun.

We really like the 2 single beds/couches that can be converted to a king sized bed. This is the main feature of the Popular version, vs the RT Versatile which has a double bed, and isn't as desirable in our opinion.

There's ample storage for 2 people.

The bathroom is fine, but only if you're very comfortable with each other & don't need too much privacy. (I don't think the bathroom design changed much until 2005.)

We are not small people. 6'2" and 5'7". We had no problem with the small size of our Roadtrek, much to our surprise & delight.

Despite many complaints about the Dodge chassis, we have found our '96 to handle quite well under ordinary circumstances. Mind you, given a high wind over a bridge, it rides like a loaf of bread on wheels.

Our only complaint is the cockpit area. It is crowded by the motor housing.

We plan to upgrade to a 2005 Popular, as soon as a good price comes our way.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:10 PM   #2

Hi!

Our very first posting on this great site. We just bought last October a '96 Roadtrek 190 Popular to replace our '68 VW Westphalia, and your description of your impressions are almost identical to ours! Remarkable coincidence! Enjoy your camping!

Matthaven
We have traveled 250k in our '68 Westphalia camping N. America. Now, adjusting to our "new" '96 Roadtrek Popular 190. Too much space! Our latest interest is planning extended camping in Mexico/ Central America.
matthaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 02:33 AM   #3
Silver Member

I wonder What happened to you. Did you ever get your new van. I don't expect I'll ever get an answer . They have not logged in since 2010. Old post like this make me curious , did you lose interest in camping, or this forum. I get it's not for everyone, camper or not. Or did something happen, I would hope not.
Don't mind me I just talking to myself on a late night rummaging through old posts rant.
Some people get really mad when you revive old post, I have no clue why.
Nite all