Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2020, 12:12 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default 2006 Roadtrek 210 Popular questions from a newbie

New to the forum and RV lifestyle so I have a few questions.
We just purchased a 2006 Roadtrek 210 Popular and we're wondering if there are any things we really need to know about it or pertain to an RV that is this old? I will say that this one is in excellent condition with only 19500 miles on it and the original owners seemed to take good care of it but from non-use could there be issues we should look for. We know that it needs tires, as they are the originals and 14 years old, and are just not safe. But what about the generator, back up batteries (2-6V in series?) and anything else you all might think of? We are newly retired and plan on hitting the road soon for a month long starter trip so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all and safe travels!
topwop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 02:44 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topwop View Post
We just purchased a 2006 Roadtrek 210 Popular and we're wondering if there are any things we really need to know about it or pertain to an RV that is this old? I will say that this one is in excellent condition with only 19500 miles on it and the original owners seemed to take good care of it but from non-use could there be issues we should look for. We know that it needs tires, as they are the originals and 14 years old, and are just not safe. But what about the generator, back up batteries (2-6V in series?) and anything else you all might think of? We are newly retired and plan on hitting the road soon for a month long starter trip so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all and safe travels!
Welcome to the forum topwop!

Congrats on the 210 Popular. Pretty standard rv componets so ask away with any specific questions because many on this forum (whether they own your exact model or else), will be able to help.

Yes, new tires definitely and don't forget the spare. All chassis fluids (due to age, not miles). I'd also suggest you get a CAT scale weight for front & back axle when loaded up for your first trip to make sure you're not overweight. The Chevy chassis is great, many of us run 60 psi in front tires for better handling.

As far as the coach, drain & sanitize water tanks. Drain water heater and thoroughly flush deposits. Replace anode rod. New smoke alarm and new CO alarms (again due to age). Check your propane detector. It may be hard-wired and I'm not sure if they are age-dependent for replacement.

Next, try everything. Top battery cells with distilled water and charge coach batteries. See what voltage they hold overnight with nothing on and battery disconnect off. Test all systems: Water pump, faucet, furnace, stove, water heater, roof vent, tv, a/c, generator, toilet, shower, dump valves, and macerator (if it has one on that model year). Look underneath for leaks, dangling wires, or loose tank heater pads. Look on the roof for good sealant around all vents and openings. Best to have someone spot your ladder so you don't lean too far and it goes out from under you. My wife smartly won't let me be on a ladder by myself.

Finally, camp for a couple of nights in your driveway. Take a short day trip (couple of hundred miles at least) before going accross country.

Congrats, and let us know how it goes.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 02:59 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Welcome

I have another make on a chevy van- most RV's the van is a model year earlier than the "RV". Keep this in mind if you need parts for the "chevy".
Mine is 2006 RV on a 2005 Chev

I bought tires a few months ago, likely you have same 16" wheels:
link:

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...ons-10460.html

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:52 AM   #4
Silver Member

Thanks for all your help. We pick it up tomorrow and I have an appointment for new tires at 2. What can you tell me about the 6v batteries. Turns out they are the original ones, 14 years old, so I'm assuming I will need to purchase new ones. Any advice would be great.
topwop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 02:41 AM   #5
Platinum Member

congrats!

can't help on the 6 volt batteries, my van uses a group 27 12 volt- I get them at costco. mine is 5+ years old

someone should be along soon

( practicing camping in the driveway is a good way to learn all the systems- since you have your toolbox and internet handy)

cheers, Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 11:18 PM   #6

Unhappy

Quote:
Hi, almost the same here. I just bought a 210, 2006 Roadtrek 6 days ago..
And, wow, I drove it 3 days, parked at home in Indiana, within 2 days--I am now totally locked out this RV because of the squealing security alarm.
I am stumped and so is everyone I have reached out to.

* Well, not perfectly locked out but right now it is a 9,000 pile of useless metal, though. I can do two things, only. Open the door and listen to the most annoying sound you can imagine--on for about 40 seconds--then, I can roll my windows up or down.
Mechanically, that is it!
And of course, when I open the door to exit, here it goes again.
Please, someone with experienced with this prob, send me some possible help.
And pass the word around, please. Thank you--maybe my last hope?
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 11:33 PM   #7
Site Team

Typically, car alarms come with a key fob that activates and deactivates the alarm. The fancier ones also lock and unlock the doors at the same time. Did you get one of these? if not, I think I would locate and disable whatever is making the noise. Does it use the vehicle horn or a separate siren?

If it is the car horn, it may be a little tricky to disable. If it is a separate siren, it should be fairly easy:
Step 1: Locate the siren. It is probably a black horn-shaped speaker. It is most likely mounted underneath the vehicle somewhere. Other options are inside the engine compartment, and inside the van (probably under the dash). Follow the noise and locate it.
Step 2: Disable the horn. There will be two wires coming from it, probably black and red. Just take a pair of wire cutters and cut the red wire (or both if that is easier). Unless it is a very sophisticated system (which I doubt), this will silence the alarm without affecting anything else. This will give you time to locate and remove the "brain" of the alarm.

The above assumes that this is an aftermarket alarm, not an OEM option. This is highly likely, because if it were OEM, the van's key fob would very likely deactivate the alarm when you unlocked the door. However, if it IS OEM, disabling it without also disabling the vehicle will be a challenge.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 12:43 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Hi, almost the same here. I just bought a 210, 2006 Roadtrek 6 days ago..
And, wow, I drove it 3 days, parked at home in Indiana, within 2 days--I am now totally locked out this RV because of the squealing security alarm.
I am stumped and so is everyone I have reached out to.

* Well, not perfectly locked out but right now it is a 9,000 pile of useless metal, though. I can do two things, only. Open the door and listen to the most annoying sound you can imagine--on for about 40 seconds--then, I can roll my windows up or down.
Mechanically, that is it!
And of course, when I open the door to exit, here it goes again.
Please, someone with experienced with this prob, send me some possible help.
And pass the word around, please. Thank you--maybe my last hope?
Please let us know if this is an aftermarket alarm or the factory system. I had similar problems with the OEM system after installing an aftermarket radio and will explain the solution if it is relevant. Sounds like it is an aftermarket security system and my information is not relevant.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 01:30 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
, back up batteries (2-6V in series?) and anything else you all might think of? !
2008RT210V. Our breakin was bringing it home from NC.
I got rid of the two 6 vdc batteries for two Deka 12 vdc AGM 92 amp hour batteries. Gives me a total of 184 Ahrs. I can hear it now but there is not that much difference between 6 and 12 volts, plus the AGMs are pretty well maintenance free!!! My battery box drawer was frozen shut and am having it rebuilt. Am going to get rid of the volt/tank readouts for good ones. I want a better battery gauge with the capacity remaining readout. What Roadtrek supplied is about useless!!

What ever you do, make sure it is ready to go!!! And stay far away from the nation wide Big Box RV stores. They will rob you of you hard earned retirement!!! Mobile RV mechanics are usually good, but check their reviews.
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote