Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2020, 09:54 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default 2010 Winnebago ERA 170R Opinions

Hi,
So after reading your sage advice & some discussion with the seller on the 2016 Travato i was looking to buy. I decided not to buy it.
As some of you pointed out there was a bit too much of the unknown to it & the obvious lack of care was concerning.
Onwards & upwards my title then lol.
I've now found a 2010 Winnebago ERA. 30 odd thousand miles, asking price around $52000.
What can you tell me about these vans?
Is the mercedes diesel engine much more costly to service & maintain than say a promaster?
I have read there was some issues with the newer (post 2006) mercedes engines, hearsay or fact?
I'm in SoCal, anyone know a good mechanic for these?
Your help & advice is much appreciated as always.
Thanks in advance.
Macodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:26 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macodiva View Post
Hi,
I have read there was some issues with the newer (post 2006) mercedes engines, hearsay or fact?
You'd better believe that it is fact. However, the issues are not primarily with the engines per se. Both the OM-642 V6 and the OM-651 I4 are fine engines. The major problems are with the BlueTec DEF-based emissions, which have a tendency to fail in a way that put you into a "n-starts remaining" situation that will require a trip to the dealer to resolve. Not good for your vacation.

HOWEVER, if you are looking at a 2010 Winnebago, it may well be built on a MY2009 Sprinter. They didn't introduce BlueTec until MY2010. Many consider the pre-DEF NCV3 Sprinters to be the very best of the Sprinter model years. So, you should confirm whether this ERA does or does not have a DEF system. If the answer is NO, then most of the rumors you have heard do not apply.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:05 PM   #3
Silver Member

Thanks that is good to know.
Once i get my hands on the VIN i should be able to find that out right? See if it's worth going down to see in person.
Macodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 02:48 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Check if that year ERA was built on the 2500 (single rear wheel) Sprinter Chassis. I'd be concerned the 2500 chassis is robust enough to handle much load after the conversion is added on. Newer models were built on the 3500 (dual rear wheel) versions that have increased carry capacity.

If I'm wrong, never mind.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 12:48 AM   #5

I understand that the newer 2010 and up use the DEF (Blue Tec) but if you keep the DEF tank topped up every second fill up, you’ll not have any issues. With this in mind, we are in the process of purchasing a 2015 Era ourselves...
Red Eye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying decision, reliable