Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2020, 01:08 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Advanced RV (ARV) Chassis Options Update

Another new video by advanced RV explaining chassis options, more clarity about their 144 wb Sprinter builds, and touch upon other manufacturer's especially the Ford Transit they are willing to build on but haven't yet to my knowledge. They seem to be lukewarm about building on the Promaster chassis but have modified them for customers bringing in existing vans from other manufacturers.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 01:38 PM   #2
Gold Member

I saw this last night and what interested me is that they have fleet status with Ford as well as Mercedes for ordering vehicles. Seems that it's just a matter of time before they are working on the Transit chassis. I see this as a good thing - some people just don't want to deal with limited availability Mercedes service and/or with diesel, no matter how how nice the build is.

The timing of this video makes me guess that with the stock market down the number of clients who are happy to buy a Mercedes diesel is also down, so they are looking to expand their potential customer base. I wish them well. If I could afford it I'd be happy to talk Transit options with them.

And I had no idea that ARV dealt with cutaways or bread trucks. Ya learn something new every day...
Old 03-28-2020, 01:50 PM   #3
Platinum Member

The bread truck was not an RV but it gave them knowledge and interest in how to convert one.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:53 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I note that the Metris has disappeared from their website. Of course, there are quite a few converters now and getting the platforms remains problematic.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 05:59 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
I note that the Metris has disappeared from their website. Of course, there are quite a few converters now and getting the platforms remains problematic.
They abandoned the Metris some time ago. I think they only converted one or two, not for clients, but on spec. I don't see a market for them, maybe other than a rental market. They very quickly decorated one with Ohio State football logo and billed it as a tailgater to expand the market. Few families with kids can afford a converted Mercedes to own and those that can can afford something better and more convenient in an RV.

Also, their strong suit is quality and customization to fit the client's needs. They were not in business to mass produce Metris RVs with limited options and never had a dealer network to sell them. They weren't trying to sell them the way they sold Sprinters. They actually were trying for a price point I think below $80,000 and I think they were looking to more efficiently utilize their manpower and facilities. Being 12-15 months back ordered on Sprinter upfits, maybe they don't have to.

Mercedes Benz got into the market after for themselves, but I don't know if they will be more successful, though they have a dealer network and could do fleet sales to those rental companies like Jucy Rental Vans.

They may kill the boutique companies that try it since there is a small market. I don't know if that factored in as to why ARV abandoned the effort.

Hey, but you don't know until you try.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:20 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Another new video by advanced RV explaining chassis options, more clarity about their 144 wb Sprinter builds, and touch upon other manufacturer's especially the Ford Transit they are willing to build on but haven't yet to my knowledge. They seem to be lukewarm about building on the Promaster chassis but have modified them for customers bringing in existing vans from other manufacturers.
I watched that video earlier today. Glad to see they are branching out to Ford Transit. Mercedes has really become problematic with no vehicles yet released for 2020. Hopefully that will change. Sure wish Mercedes brought back the 4-cylinder diesel in USA.

In the mean time I'm looking closer at Transits - they seem to offer a lot of advantages over Sprinter, especially since I'm only interested in a 19 foot van with single rear wheels.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:31 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I watched that video earlier today. Glad to see they are branching out to Ford Transit. Mercedes has really become problematic with no vehicles yet released for 2020. Hopefully that will change. Sure wish Mercedes brought back the 4-cylinder diesel in USA.

In the mean time I'm looking closer at Transits - they seem to offer a lot of advantages over Sprinter, especially since I'm only interested in a 19 foot van with single rear wheels.

Can you get the super single rear wheel option on the short Transit? If so that would be very nice.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:36 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Can you get the super single rear wheel option on the short Transit? If so that would be very nice.
Transits don't have a super single option. They are like most pickups and older style vans in USA - where you can get a 9,500 GVWR 1-ton (T-350) vehicle with single rear wheels and same size tires all around. For Transits dual rears are only on the T-350HD models with 10,360 GVWR.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:54 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Transits don't have a super single option. They are like most pickups and older style vans in USA - where you can get a 9,500 GVWR 1-ton (T-350) vehicle with single rear wheels and same size tires all around. For Transits dual rears are only on the T-350HD models with 10,360 GVWR.

I just looked at the specs as I thought I remembered a 9950# rating on some of them, and it is still there, but called as DRW now. I think the Nissan vans also have a 9900# rating on singles, IIRC as I think they use larger tires all the way around. Perhaps the single wheel unibody itself is not designed for any higher weight.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:03 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
I just looked at the specs as I thought I remembered a 9950# rating on some of them, and it is still there, but called as DRW now. I think the Nissan vans also have a 9900# rating on singles, IIRC as I think they use larger tires all the way around. Perhaps the single wheel unibody itself is not designed for any higher weight.
You are correct. The 9950 and 10360 ratings are both DRW, but that only applies to the high roof extended models as far as I can tell.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:27 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
You are correct. The 9950 and 10360 ratings are both DRW, but that only applies to the high roof extended models as far as I can tell.

Interesting is that I looked at the Nissan site and they still list 9900# on single rear wheels, but with 245-75-17 tires.

The Transit specs have always been really confusing on what was what for load capacity vs other options IIRC. They must do the 9950 just to get under the 10K# rules.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:31 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Interesting is that I looked at the Nissan site and they still list 9900# on single rear wheels, but with 245-75-17 tires.

The Transit specs have always been really confusing on what was what for load capacity vs other options IIRC. They must do the 9950 just to get under the 10K# rules.
The 9950 comment is true. I asked a Ford engineer (when I did a ride and drive here in KC where they are built) when the Transit first came out about that and he confirmed the thinking about the 10k rule

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 05:28 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
I am not familiar with Transits but the Sprinter has a 9900 GVWR with the super single option. I thought that would be my design answer in keeping the wheel wells narrower than the dually that I needed. However, the requirements are that ARV would still have to keep the overall weight of the finished van under 7,400 lbs. and a super single would be starting with more weight than a 2500 raw van as delivered from MB at about 5,400 lbs thus less upfit weight allowance, but more load you can have after it which I wouldn't need since I couldn't load a 2500 van conceivably more than half the load allowed.

I'm just a few pounds under 7,400 with my design which gives me a carry load of about 1700 lbs and I suspect we will no more than about 800 lbs based on what we carry now in our extended body Sprinter. So, I understand that after I take possession I could add potentially 900 lbs of built in improvements such as grill guards, levelers, hitch carriers, etc. It would be up to me and my responsibility not to exceed 9100 lbs but ARV cannot exceed 7400 lbs in selling it to me and maintain master upfitter status.

Don't hold me to those numbers as totally accurate. They are for illustrative purposes.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:20 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay View Post
The 9950 comment is true. I asked a Ford engineer (when I did a ride and drive here in KC where they are built) when the Transit first came out about that and he confirmed the thinking about the 10k rule
All pickup and van manufactures adjust for the 10,000 lb limit as the USA Federal regulations change for vehicles at and over 10,000 lbs. The next limit in regulations is 26,000 labs as I recall.

- - Mike
Old 04-02-2020, 06:24 PM   #15

Davydd, can you pls clarify why ARV has to deliver a van all in at 7400 lbs--is that per agreement with you, or some sort of external requirement? Later, you say that if they don't, they would not be able to retain master upfitter status. Why?

Also you lost me on the last sentence in para 1, I've tried but don't think I understand it fully. Appreciate if you could elaborate on that as well.

Thanks
dcawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 06:27 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I am not familiar with Transits but the Sprinter has a 9900 GVWR with the super single option. I thought that would be my design answer in keeping the wheel wells narrower than the dually that I needed. However, the requirements are that ARV would still have to keep the overall weight of the finished van under 7,400 lbs. and a super single would be starting with more weight than a 2500 raw van as delivered from MB at about 5,400 lbs thus less upfit weight allowance, but more load you can have after it which I wouldn't need since I couldn't load a 2500 van conceivably more than half the load allowed.

I'm just a few pounds under 7,400 with my design which gives me a carry load of about 1700 lbs and I suspect we will no more than about 800 lbs based on what we carry now in our extended body Sprinter. So, I understand that after I take possession I could add potentially 900 lbs of built in improvements such as grill guards, levelers, hitch carriers, etc. It would be up to me and my responsibility not to exceed 9100 lbs but ARV cannot exceed 7400 lbs in selling it to me and maintain master upfitter status.

Don't hold me to those numbers as totally accurate. They are for illustrative purposes.
I've looked close at the weights of the 2500 Sprinter 144" models. The new 4-cylinder gasoline engine also saves over 200 lbs compared to the V-6 diesel according to the Mercedes build web site.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:54 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
I've looked close at the weights of the 2500 Sprinter 144" models. The new 4-cylinder gasoline engine also saves over 200 lbs compared to the V-6 diesel according to the Mercedes build web site.
I asked about the 4-cyl. gas engine at the time and ARV's estimation is it was not capable for a Class B. Plus, when I ordered it wasn't being offered yet, but that probably doesn't make any difference now with the many delays.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:38 PM   #18
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcawd View Post
Davydd, can you pls clarify why ARV has to deliver a van all in at 7400 lbs--is that per agreement with you, or some sort of external requirement? Later, you say that if they don't, they would not be able to retain master upfitter status. Why?
That's a number specified by MB. They have a "delivered" weight limit that's well under the GVWR.

I never looked at the super single numbers, but the 4500 model has a delivered limit less than that of the 3500, even though the GVWR on the 4500 is higher. Which is why we have a 3500 instead of a 4500.

Here's the chart from the 2019 Upfitter's Guide:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b35jgnp39k...019-limits.jpg
FlyingDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 03:37 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcawd View Post

Also you lost me on the last sentence in para 1, I've tried but don't think I understand it fully. Appreciate if you could elaborate on that as well.

Thanks
The first question was answered by FlyingDiver.

The van has to be turned over not over 7,400 lbs. The GVWR is 9.100 lbs. So I could load it up with 1,700 lbs. However, experience tells me that I probably will never put over 800 lbs of humans, equipment, food, etc. in it. So I will have 900 lbs. that I can utilize in fixed additions that ARV is not allowed to add until they sell and turn it over to me. I still have to stay under 9,100 lbs. Right now I think I want to add hydraulic levelers that ARV installs which are about 300 lbs. give or take. I can’t think of any other additions. I’ll never tow. I’ve had hitch carriers in the past and will never have another. Bull bars in the front. Nice but not a need.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:52 PM   #20
Platinum Member

There was a photo awhile ago of a Total Composites box at Advanced RV. Not sure what they were doing with it but they could really expand their options building expedition style vehicles for someone who wants something bigger than a Sprinter. They showed a Ford F650 Cutaway in the video, wonder what they were going to build on that...

https://totalcomposites.com/gallery/
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote