Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2020, 05:18 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Yeah you might be surprised how far some good tires, decent clearance and a limited slip differential will get you. We've done some mild improvements to our van that have increased the clearance by about 4" - aftermarket wheels that allow for bigger tires (with the dually, the stock wheels did not allow for enough clearance between the rear wheels), all terrain tires, and supersprings/sumosprings. We've had it down some pretty rough roads, including 10 miles off the pavement on a pretty rough road into the Idaho Panhandle National Forest, 2 miles off the pavement in Death Valley, etc. All towing a trailer too. Even had to turn around once with the trailer in tow when I missed a turn and the road turned into a two-track that suddenly started to climb a steep off camber hill that there was no way I was attempting with the van. Faced with backing up about a mile or turning around, I did about a 20 point road turn taking the trailer as close as possible to the jack-knifing point, wheeling the trailer up and over a ditch and into the desert scrub bushes. That was when headed to this beautiful campsite just outside DVNP.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200307_164519.jpg (244.9 KB, 59 views)

Tags
4x4, class b, ground clearance, miles per gallon, off roads