Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2020, 02:42 PM   #1

Question Class B with two child seats NOT at the back

Hi everyone,

We are new to this forum and we are looking to purchase a class B or maybe B+, but we have difficulty finding a floorplan that works for us. We would like to have suggestion of different class B.

We have 2 youngs children (under two), so we are looking to put 2 childseats but I don’t want them to be at the far back of the van. We want something close to us while we drive.

We would aslo like to have enough space on the floor to put a travel crib (while parked abviously &#128541 the youngest still need to be in a crib and not in a standard bed.

Let me know if any model come to your mind!

Thanks a lot for your help! We look forward to find the perfect match for us!
Caille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 02:50 PM   #2
Platinum Member

BonJour & Welcome to the Forums

I have an older 2 seat model and no kids, but there are plenty of young families here who have experience.

In our travels it is not uncommon for the non-driver to be in the rear of the RV rather than in the passenger seat.

It is possible that if the children were in the rear they may be tended to more easily- fed- cleaned- played with and the nonstop playing of the same movie over and over wouldn't be noticed by the driver.

Driving a 4 ton vehicle requires full attention from the driver

and rear seating may be safer on the road

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 03:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
BonJour & Welcome to the Forums

I have an older 2 seat model and no kids, but there are plenty of young families here who have experience.

In our travels it is not uncommon for the non-driver to be in the rear of the RV rather than in the passenger seat.

It is possible that if the children were in the rear they may be tended to more easily- fed- cleaned- played with and the nonstop playing of the same movie over and over wouldn't be noticed by the driver.

Driving a 4 ton vehicle requires full attention from the driver

and rear seating may be safer on the road

Mike
thanks for the suggestion. If we don't have the choice we will end up doing this.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:53 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I am surprised how many recent members seem to come from PQ.
Maybe the interest is because of Inter-Provincial travel restrictions?

A class B is the most expensive RV option per sq ft- the real advantages are ease of parking and driving and the fuel economy
But I think many of them have better safety than the rv's which are a wood and fiberglass "box" built on a truck or cube van frame

Some of the better class B's are CDN built

If you are new to RV's you may want to consider renting to see how you manage in a smaller space, and if an RV suits your use.

For many who are in a place a week at a time, a trailer can be a better choice- and less expensive.
We do camp a week at a time in our van, but a majority of our use is travel..such as the 5 or 10 days we might take to get to the Ottawa area where we have family

the tricky part is managing energy use- which concerns 1/2 of the threads on the forums probably

cheers, Mike
Old 07-23-2020, 04:07 PM   #5

In our case it was something plan for a long time.
We did travel in RV for 1 month in Australia and 1 month in NZ, so we know we love it. It would be the first time with kids tough. We like the class B because we normally move a lot and as it is smaller, it's more convenient to drive and park everywhere. We won't stay in too much during the day, it's more to rest at the end of a day out.
We are planning a long trip (approx 3 months across US and Canada) in the coming year or two, so I think class B would be better for fuel economy and moving around easily.
Old 07-23-2020, 04:14 PM   #6
Platinum Member

sounds like a perfect choice for you and your family

Mike
Old 07-23-2020, 10:22 PM   #7
Gold Member

When I saw Quebec, my first thought is Panoramic, which is near Montreal. Their front bench seats could (I think) support a couple of car seats and would be right behind the two adults up front. Similar layouts are in the Winnebago Solis and Thor Sequence 20A / Tellaro 20AT twins, and also the now defunct Hymer Aktiv.
Old 07-24-2020, 02:27 AM   #8

Thank you so much !!!
Old 07-26-2020, 02:29 PM   #9

Check out the Coachman Galleria 24q. It has second row Captains chairs with child seat fasteners in the seat and tether in the base of the back.
DWallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 07:29 PM   #10
Silver Member

https://safaricondo.com/fr/motorises_promaster_flex/
After looking at class B’s for many years before making my choice, I ended up buying a new Safari Condo (got the two seats behind the driver). Warranty is five years on the items made by SC other items carry the manufacturer’s warranties. Price is competitive and there is no negotiations about it , there is no 10 to 30 % discounts like we see at big RV trade shows in the USA. The company employs about 200 staff, they shut down for two weeks in the summer and also for Christmas, they are not paid by items produced like other manufacturers, in short the owners treat their customers and employees very well and the quality of craftsmanship is reflected by the proud construction and the resale value. Now 2 years of ownership I have no regrets, I suggest you visit their showroom.
Paul the Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:24 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul the Gardens View Post
https://safaricondo.com/fr/motorises_promaster_flex/
After looking at class B’s for many years before making my choice, I ended up buying a new Safari Condo (got the two seats behind the driver). Warranty is five years on the items made by SC other items carry the manufacturer’s warranties. Price is competitive and there is no negotiations about it , there is no 10 to 30 % discounts like we see at big RV trade shows in the USA. The company employs about 200 staff, they shut down for two weeks in the summer and also for Christmas, they are not paid by items produced like other manufacturers, in short the owners treat their customers and employees very well and the quality of craftsmanship is reflected by the proud construction and the resale value. Now 2 years of ownership I have no regrets, I suggest you visit their showroom.
Congratulation, refreshing design and colors. Safari Condo was on top of my list but in 2013 purchase from Oregon was just too complex. Enjoy!
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 05:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caille View Post
Hi everyone,

We are new to this forum and we are looking to purchase a class B or maybe B+, but we have difficulty finding a floorplan that works for us. We would like to have suggestion of different class B.

We have 2 youngs children (under two), so we are looking to put 2 childseats but I don’t want them to be at the far back of the van. We want something close to us while we drive.

We would aslo like to have enough space on the floor to put a travel crib (while parked abviously &#128541 the youngest still need to be in a crib and not in a standard bed.

Let me know if any model come to your mind!

Thanks a lot for your help! We look forward to find the perfect match for us!
Look at the Regency Ultra Brougham with twin beds.... ours is a 2020 and there are 2 additional seats behind the driver and passenger.... might meet your needs.
PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:01 PM   #13

We looked for a class B for over 2 years, but our must-have requirements ruled them out. We will buying a VanDOit:LIV camper van (Blue Springs, Missouri). A 50-year old company that builds on the Transit passenger van (<20'). Rather than a one-size-fits-all approach like an RV, they have a multi-options approach. High quality, and features that cannot be found in an RV such as removable/adjustable seating with 3-way seatbelts to put the children in the best location during travel (i.e. near front passenger or middle of the cabin). Airbags! HVAC to the rear for AC/heat comfort. Hydraulic queen bed. Huge storage under queen. AC or MAXX fan, or both! Lithium or AGM. They have everything.
David King in SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 03:15 AM   #14
Bronze Member

have you thought about a custom build?
ableami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:31 PM   #15

I know this is a few months old, but wanted to add that we had very similar requirements. I will spare the long story how we got to this point, but we are a younger family of four, with a 2 and 4 year old.

We wanted a class B with SAFE seats for our kids car seats. This was / is actually pretty hard to find.

A custom build would have worked, but honestly more money than I wanted to spend.

We ended up buying a 2012 Winnebago Era 70X (found locally on Craigslist, on a whim. I had given up the search). The X model is the version with 4 captains chairs. The 2 extra chairs behind the driver/passenger have the child seat safety latches at the bottom for the car seat "back strap". I've also read that Winnebago does crash / safety test these components to federal standards.

This is a large safety improvement over strapping the car seats to a Class C couch (no safety requirements, kids sit sideways, etc.).

We are very happy with the "safetyness" of this setup.

We also bought something called a "cabbunk" from a UK company, that turns the front seats into a bunk bed for our kids.

Winnebago has been making this model (X) for a while, it just doesn't seem super popular (what average RVer wants 4 seats !??!?).
MNEra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:49 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Hello and Welcome to the Forums

Nice post
Cheers, Mike ( with a 2 seater!)
Old 09-15-2020, 06:53 PM   #17

MNEra,
Thx for your belated message. It takes considerable effort and patience to find a class B with 6 or more 3-point safety seatbelts. Smaller RVs and camper vans are not simply not designed for group travel with family and friends (except for the VanDOit-LIV). Keep in mind that VanDOit does not make traditional RVs; they are adventure/camping vans with the ability to provide ample seating from 2-8 (flexible, and all with 3-point safety seatbelts and airbags). Yes, I said airbags for passengers in the rear of the cabin as well. We were unwilling to get a long vehicle such as the Winnebago Era (24'?), but I hope the Era fulfills all your "must have" features. The VanDOit is the only vehicle I found over a 2-year search that fulfills all of our "must have" features, and many "nice-to-have" features as well.
David King in SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 06:34 PM   #18

I drive an Airstream Interstate with the 4 captains chairs. Our travel crib fits between the first and second row chairs for the baby. When he was even younger, he slept in his dock a tot next to me in the back bed and our toddler had a fold out thick foam mattress that went between the first and second row. Now the toddler sleeps in the bed with us and the baby is in his crib up front. We keep swapping them. I'll likely look into bunks or fold across beds when they get bigger. I've seen twin beds for kids that stretch from the driver side to the seat behind it and the same on the passenger side.

We have looked at the Solis but the back bed that came with the sofa version was too small for us. Loved the pop top version though needs a net to catch kids from falling out.

Also looked at the Tellaro and Sequence. Keep in mind these options all have a second row bench and it's TIGHT to get two car seats side by side there. It's doable but you'll likely have to buy special car seats that are slim and lack things like arms rests and cup holders. But you can sleep 2 in back and 2 up top. Seems there is always a major trade to get what you want.
hamsterwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 08:06 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David King in SB View Post
MNEra,
Thx for your belated message. It takes considerable effort and patience to find a class B with 6 or more 3-point safety seatbelts. Smaller RVs and camper vans are not simply not designed for group travel with family and friends (except for the VanDOit-LIV). Keep in mind that VanDOit does not make traditional RVs; they are adventure/camping vans with the ability to provide ample seating from 2-8 (flexible, and all with 3-point safety seatbelts and airbags). Yes, I said airbags for passengers in the rear of the cabin as well. We were unwilling to get a long vehicle such as the Winnebago Era (24'?), but I hope the Era fulfills all your "must have" features. The VanDOit is the only vehicle I found over a 2-year search that fulfills all of our "must have" features, and many "nice-to-have" features as well.
Unless things have changed a lot, even many Class A's do not provide for proper safe seats for family!!!
Tiffin Allegro
Foretravel U225
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
child seat, classb