Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2018, 01:22 AM   #21
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I'm an old fart and 40 lbs. is too heavy and getting heavier every year. If there is an alternative to cassettes or lifting a stinky toilet and urine bucket (composting) I'm all for it. Oh wait! There is. It's that USA preferred method of black and grey holding tanks and gravity or pumping into a hose right into a hole in the ground.

I had to dump exactly twice on our recent 37 day trip and will dump once again now that I am home. That's once every 12 days and takes less than 10 minutes from start to finish. The largest tanks one can have is the key.

Same old sh*t Davdd, you really really do know your sh*t sometimes, ok often.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 01:28 AM   #22
Platinum Member

Interesting black and white topics, not much grey scale there. A science of a political wedge tool - choke a grey scale:

Cassette or black tank
Big lithium or AGM
Gas or diesel
B shower or not
Solar or useless solar.

I like Sony FF, my God - Nikonians will kill me.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 02:07 AM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Interesting black and white topics, not much grey scale there. A science of a political wedge tool - choke a grey scale:

Cassette or black tank
Big lithium or AGM
Gas or diesel
B shower or not
Solar or useless solar.

I like Sony FF, my God - Nikonians will kill me.
Well, I am a Canonian and I won’t kill you...

You forgot to mention composting toilets which get even better discussions than cassette toilets do. Americans seem to be very paranoid about getting poop on their hands. Why does everyone else in the world outside of North America have no big issues with cassette toilets? Maybe a potty training issue??
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:09 AM   #24
jon
Platinum Member

Having used a cassette toilet for two years I have to chime in.

Having a cassette is super convenient. I don't have to worry about dump stations....but it's getting old having to haul my cassette through the house every trip. The thought of waiting in long dump lines always makes the chore seem worth it.

My next RV will have a black tank and I will strategically place my sewer clean-out in my driveway when I build our retirement in a couple years.

Yea...I feel like I'm getting to be an old fart who doesn't want to haul the family's s**t around any more.
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:22 AM   #25
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
You need the rear window (or a camera) to know whether you are being followed by a cop.
That's why you have rear view mirrors.
Brad1998RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:27 AM   #26
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
Anyone who can lift 40 lb should not have any trouble dumping a 5 gallon cassette when full. Consider giving it a try before you dismiss it. I do it easily and it is located about 5 ft off the ground on our vehicle and I am what would be classified as an old fart...
I don't need to try it.i have had 6 back surgerys and am only limited to lift one gallon of milk. So 50 lbs is too much for me.
Plus I would hate to get up to use the bathroom and realize cassette is full. Doesn't take much to fill up 5 gallons.
Brad1998RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:09 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver2017 View Post
... I read that over time using the side mirrors becomes a breeze. Any of the Travato or Aktiv owners find their vans difficult to drive?
Travato G Owner: My Travato (and I keep the rear windows permanently covered), is TWICE as easy to drive, and has TWICE the visibility as my Dodge Conversion Van with windows all the way around. The FOUR side mirrors function excellently, and the high mounted back up camera is superb in my opinion.
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:46 PM   #28
Platinum Member

funny how these cassette discussions go off the rails.

for the record - pulling it out of it's compartment is 2-2.5 feet off the ground, not 5.

the weight, completely full, is around 36 lbs. the weight is only pulling it out and setting it down. it's like a rolling suitcase with wheels and a handle. when empty it weighs 2-3 pounds to put back in it's slot. If you can't manage that amount of weight, i don't see how you are fit enough to travel around the country. you must always eat out and never haul in your own grocery bags.

having a cassette does not preclude using the dump station. You just stick the pipe down the hole and push the button. done in 10 secs. what you do get is the convenience of having options if there is no dump station where you are.

I really don't understand the animus expressed by some at the temerity of some companies that would offer this option. the big benefit is having a much smaller footprint for the bathroom, as well as winter capability for those so inclined. not everyone wants 1/3 of their floorplan devoted to a poop room.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:55 PM   #29
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post

for the record - pulling it out of it's compartment is 2-2.5 feet off the ground, not 5.

. . .
I should have made a quote.

My post was a remark/reply on gregmchugh's cassette; he has an expedition type RV, not a class b, which according to him, has the cassette at a height of 5 ft off the ground.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:11 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
I should have made a quote.

My post was a remark/reply on gregmchugh's cassette; he has an expedition type RV, not a class b, which according to him, has the cassette at a height of 5 ft off the ground.

Yes, my cassette is a little higher off the ground than a Class B, I was just suggesting that if an old geezer like me can easily deal with one 5 ft off the ground then you whippersnappers should be able to handle one closer to the ground in a Class B...

Here is how you end up with one 5 ft off the ground...

Patagonia on Kenworth 2017-2 | Global Expedition Vehicles
Old 05-30-2018, 08:20 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Holding tank, cassette, composter... any of these is better than NASA's toilet, so we should be thankful no matter what we have. They even dump into the earth's atmosphere. Here on earth we would get fined for that.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.7483d74f7327
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:05 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:

the weight, completely full, is around 36 lbs. the weight is only pulling it out and setting it down. it's like a rolling suitcase with wheels and a handle. when empty it weighs 2-3 pounds to put back in it's slot. If you can't manage that amount of weight, i don't see how you are fit enough to travel around the country. you must always eat out and never haul in your own grocery bags.

having a cassette does not preclude using the dump station. You just stick the pipe down the hole and push the button. done in 10 secs. what you do get is the convenience of having options if there is no dump station where you are.

I really don't understand the animus expressed by some at the temerity of some companies that would offer this option. the big benefit is having a much smaller footprint for the bathroom, as well as winter capability for those so inclined. not everyone wants 1/3 of their floorplan devoted to a poop room.
Good points, there is however a possible better way which still needs an invention, a pill improving digestion efficiency to 100%.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:21 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Good points, there is however a possible better way which still needs an invention, a pill improving digestion efficiency to 100%.
or...

avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:41 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
or...

I remember these, it was long time ago .
Old 05-30-2018, 11:14 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Quote:

Toilets being compost, cassettes or black tank all have essentially the same footprint, so I am assuming you are advocating pooping and peeing in the open aisle of a B with your statement of smaller footprint. I guess that is fine with a single traveler that doesn't have any qualms about airborne contaminations over the whole van and the act of peeing does that. There have been many studies of tooth brush bacteria in a bathroom to prove that. I prefer enclosed spaces that can be cleaned out simply taking a wet bath shower.

10 seconds? Does that include the hassle of removing and reinstalling and wheeling to a disposal? You make no mention of frequency to do so, the hassle to find an appropriate dump other than dedicated dump stations and no one mentions you have to dispose of grey water anyway.

Before you say pulling and lifting 36 lbs. 2-1/2 feet you might change your mind when pushing 70 years of age. No matter how conditioned you feel, you are losing muscle mass every year, less flexibility, and more prone to injury. I guess you will learn that with age as you really don't understand that now.

The temerity of companies offering those options? They have to sell Bs. The concept is hard enough without dedicated shower stalls and tight bathrooms. That is one major reason why Class C's out sell Class B's.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:54 AM   #36
Platinum Member

Quote:

Before you say pulling and lifting 36 lbs. 2-1/2 feet you might change your mind when pushing 70 years of age. No matter how conditioned you feel, you are losing muscle mass every year, less flexibility, and more prone to injury. I guess you will learn that with age as you really don't understand that now.
The last time I checked, I will be 70 in August...

Not all of us old geezers are having any problems lifting 40 lb cassettes...
Old 05-31-2018, 01:42 AM   #37
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
The last time I checked, I will be 70 in August...

Not all of us old geezers are having any problems lifting 40 lb cassettes...
Just crossed this 70-year age milestone and getting younger since. We all vary in our capabilities and needs as we progress in maturity, some love kneeling or even praying to black tank outlets and some, like myself, prefer carrying a cassette to an appropriate dump place.

It is easy to view the World from just a personal perspective but productive discussion ought to be based more balance multiple views. Some need hospital beds with I-phone control and some can live without it.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:34 AM   #38
Platinum Member

Quote:
Toilets being compost, cassettes or black tank all have essentially the same footprint, so I am assuming you are advocating pooping and peeing in the open aisle of a B with your statement of smaller footprint. I guess that is fine with a single traveler that doesn't have any qualms about airborne contaminations over the whole van and the act of peeing does that. There have been many studies of tooth brush bacteria in a bathroom to prove that. I prefer enclosed spaces that can be cleaned out simply taking a wet bath shower.

10 seconds? Does that include the hassle of removing and reinstalling and wheeling to a disposal? You make no mention of frequency to do so, the hassle to find an appropriate dump other than dedicated dump stations and no one mentions you have to dispose of grey water anyway.

The temerity of companies offering those options? They have to sell Bs. The concept is hard enough without dedicated shower stalls and tight bathrooms. That is one major reason why Class C's out sell Class B's.
davydd,

which of the rv's listed in your signature had a cassette toilet and was it a Thetford cassette like the ones installed in the Hymer?

Tom
tgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 11:37 AM   #39
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgregg View Post
davydd,

which of the rv's listed in your signature had a cassette toilet and was it a Thetford cassette like the ones installed in the Hymer?

Tom
None of them.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:41 PM   #40
Platinum Member

As far as footprint goes, I'm mainly referring to what you see in the Hymer Aktiv and the Winnebago Revel.

The Aktiv is particularly compact - basically a 24" square. This works with the cassette toilet because the head actually swivels out of the way so you can use the compartment as a shower (along with the flip-down sink). This is a brilliant use of space for folks not wanting to devote so much of the van's space to a bathroom. What black tank type toilet has a swivel head? I know of none. Granted, this is pretty tight for those more rotund, but not for most people. It certainly makes the shorter length Aktiv 1.0 work so you can still have a big bed/storage area plus the front dinnette. A larger bath would diminish those other attributes.

In the Revel, they took a more traditional approach - the fixed position head, but they let the whole compartment be dual purpose - removable shelf system you can put in and use it as a gear closet instead of a bath. They went with the cassette though, as part of their effort to make this a bullet proof 4 season system - the entirety of the black system is inside the heated space. Probably saved alot of cost, as the demographic for this vehicle is younger and more price sensitive.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aktiv, travato, voltstart