Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2018, 02:03 AM   #1

Default Hymer Aktiv versus Winnebago Travato K

Hello!

New to this forum and am having a difficult time deciding between these two campervans. We are new to RVs and like some features in both these vans. We like the idea of Voltstart as we have 2 dogs and like being able to leave them in the van. However Travato doesn't offer this option. Are there any after market applications that would work? My wife and I would really like to read any thoughts or suggestions.

Thank you!

Brian and Jaye
funfyzics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:40 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfyzics View Post
Hello!

New to this forum and am having a difficult time deciding between these two campervans. We are new to RVs and like some features in both these vans. We like the idea of Voltstart as we have 2 dogs and like being able to leave them in the van. However Travato doesn't offer this option. Are there any after market applications that would work? My wife and I would really like to read any thoughts or suggestions.

Thank you!

Brian and Jaye
The Travato does provide an autostart feature if you go for the Pure 3 Volta/lithium battery option.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:31 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Winnebago is taking orders for their vans with the Pure3 system with deliveries starting in July & August.

This system has the biggest battery pack available in a Promaster, bar none. It's more than double the size of what you can get from Hymer/Roadtrek. With it's 48v 2nd alternator, it can fully recharge in 1.5 hours.

What that means is that you can run the air conditioner (by my estimation) 6 to 8 hours. Possibly indefinitely with their autostart and the 2nd alternator quick charging. You just can't do that with the Hymer. There are also issues with the Hymer with their autostart (Voltrek) working properly, and their small battery packs having a high parasitic load from their BMS also diminishing performance.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:57 PM   #4
Platinum Member

What Wincrasher said.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:04 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Just curious why you are considering the Aktiv and 59K & not the 59G. The Aktiv and 59K have different floor plans while the Aktiv and 59G share a similar floor plan. One bonus that many dog owners with the Aktiv and 59G have shared is the area under the bed (when down) makes for a great dog bed. There are many varying user experiences with the Eco Trek system. It seems from what I have read that there is a learning curve to the system but some of the problems that occur result from user error.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:24 AM   #6
Platinum Member

If you care about your passengers, the Aktiv has shoulder belts for the bench seat behind the driver...
Oliver2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 04:52 AM   #7
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver2017 View Post
If you care about your passengers, the Aktiv has shoulder belts for the bench seat behind the driver...
I second this. I actually like that the Safari Condo Flex 21 has actual passenger seats for the second row of the front dinette but it isn't available in the shorter EB length.
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
What Wincrasher said.
Are suggesting the Crossfit. I don't think it has an inverter so wouldn't 110V appliances have to be run off generator
Old 05-24-2018, 10:24 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Are suggesting the Crossfit. I don't think it has an inverter so wouldn't 110V appliances have to be run off generator
Nope. I was agreeing with wincrasher that you should wait for the Travato.

The Crossfit is my signature line and gets automatically added to all of my posts. Sorry for any confusion.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
Nope. I was agreeing with wincrasher that you should wait for the Travato.

The Crossfit is my signature line and gets automatically added to all of my posts. Sorry for any confusion.
No problem. How do you like the Crossfit? Will it fit in reg parking? My wife really likes it and the location of bathroom
Old 05-25-2018, 02:18 AM   #11
Platinum Member

We really like it. I drive quite a bit and feel confident behind the wheel of the Transit. It's 22 ft, with a long overhang behind the back wheels so we tend to back into perimeter parking spaces and let the rear overhang the planter. It's a little too long for a standard parking space.

We have the dinette/twin bed version and it suits our needs. They also have an electronic sofa version. The floor plans and cabinetry are similar to a Pleasure Way I coveted.

As for the bathroom location, I created a poll here a few months back and i think the drivers side and the rear bath were about equally divided. As I recall, the arguments were that the rear bath provided more room, but the side bath allowed for a more panoramic view out of the rear of the coach.

Coachmen makes a quality product, but it does not currently have the fancy electronics you are looking for. We did not find that to be a deciding factor for us. YMMV.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:45 PM   #12
Silver Member

I agree with WinCrasher on the battery system. We have the Hymer / Roadtrek Zion. The Ecotrek battery system works OK but nothing like what’s being described here for the new Winnebago power system. That said the power system isn’t everything.

We steered away from the Winnebago products in general because we didn’t like the layouts. The Zion has a great kitchen layout with a fridge above counter height. The Zion has the rear windows visible through the coach - you can actually use your rear view mirror. The bed in the one Travato was a divorce in the making. The fridge on the ground and lack of convenient storage in the other also turned us off. Hiding the rear doors / rear windows isn’t something I cared for.

I think many standing in an RV on a dealer lot forget you have to be able to use and drive the thing. We thought the Zion had a far superior layout.

Good luck and happy shopping.
Cannuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:48 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

The Zion has the rear windows visible through the coach - you can actually use your rear view mirror. Hiding the rear doors / rear windows isn’t something I cared for. I think many standing in an RV on a dealer lot forget you have to be able to use and drive the thing.
I thought seeing out the back windows while driving was not supposed to be a big deal I read using the side mirrors is the proper way to change lanes.

I was planning to order a 2019 Promaster cargo van with no rear windows. I read that over time using the side mirrors becomes a breeze. Any of the Travato or Aktiv owners find their vans difficult to drive?
Oliver2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:55 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver2017 View Post
I thought seeing out the back windows while driving was not supposed to be a big deal
You need the rear window (or a camera) to know whether you are being followed by a cop.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 04:06 PM   #15
Gold Member

A big thing for me is cassette toilet versus black tank. I would much rather have a black tank versus carrying a cassette to dump it
Brad1998RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 04:10 PM   #16
Gold Member

Quote:
Hello!

Thank you!

Brian and Jaye
My big thing to make a decision would be a black tank versus a cassette toilet. Much rather dump a tank then mess with a heavy cassette.
Brad1998RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:20 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Anyone who can lift 40 lb should not have any trouble dumping a 5 gallon cassette when full. Consider giving it a try before you dismiss it. I do it easily and it is located about 5 ft off the ground on our vehicle and I am what would be classified as an old fart...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:05 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
Anyone who can lift 40 lb should not have any trouble dumping a 5 gallon cassette when full. Consider giving it a try before you dismiss it. I do it easily and it is located about 5 ft off the ground on our vehicle and I am what would be classified as an old fart...
I'm an old fart and 40 lbs. is too heavy and getting heavier every year. If there is an alternative to cassettes or lifting a stinky toilet and urine bucket (composting) I'm all for it. Oh wait! There is. It's that USA preferred method of black and grey holding tanks and gravity or pumping into a hose right into a hole in the ground.

I had to dump exactly twice on our recent 37 day trip and will dump once again now that I am home. That's once every 12 days and takes less than 10 minutes from start to finish. The largest tanks one can have is the key.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:53 AM   #19
BBQ
Platinum Member

I have absolutely no interest in lowering a shxt box from five feet off the ground.

Old 05-30-2018, 12:58 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

I have absolutely no interest in lowering a shxt box from five feet off the ground.

I can't say that it was one of the high points of our Iceland RV rental experience.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aktiv, travato, voltstart